Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Monday, November 24, 2008

    Travellogue

    We're going home for Thanksgiving. First time in three years. It's funny, when you live far from where you came from you feel like a guest in your own family. There are jokes my cousins tell each other in emails that I don't understand. There was a funeral last week that I could not attend. But we're going home.

    Night driving tonight. It'll be a long reach across Nebraska. We each take half the state. I'm loading up my gear for the reach now – I can't make it across without Joni singing about Amelia, I need Nick Cave -- that devilman with his red right hand, Peter Murphy mourning Bela Lugosi, Johnette Napolitano to deal out her 100 games of solitaire. I need to chase cars with Snow Patrol, I need Steely Dan's wheels turnin' round and round. I need 16 Horsepower and Slim Cessna driving north to Cheyenne. It only makes sense that Death Cab for Cutie drives me home from the passenger seat. Elton telling me it's four o'clock in the morning, dammit.

    And coffee. Lots of it.

    (Oh happy day! O just came home with a baby thermos for me!)

    Henderson, Nebraska is a hotel and a truck stop that only exits at night or whenever a bus pulls up. Otherwise it's all wind and dry grass.

    The Mississippi divides the world in half.

    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Happy Turkey Day!

    May the force of Joni be with you.

    1:09 PM, November 24, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Happy Turkey, Pants! Please be safe and come back with lots of stories for us?

    7:24 PM, November 24, 2008  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Maybe you could use some of my Let Me Go or Meltdown when you leave to come back.

    Hope your trip is fun and safe.
    Have a happy, my friend.
    Bud

    7:41 PM, November 24, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    So Henderson, Nebraska is sorta like Brigadoon, then.

    Or Avalon.

    9:23 PM, November 24, 2008  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Be safe, from the family as well as the trip.

    1:32 PM, November 25, 2008  
    Blogger D-Man wrote in a love letter...

    Happy giving of thanks, and happy trails, pilgrim!

    1:21 AM, November 26, 2008  
    Blogger Michael wrote in a love letter...

    Mr Walter Becker has a new album called Circus Money, What a great album it is, just had to share that with all the Steely Dan Fans.

    www.sonic360.com/walterbecker

    5:11 AM, November 26, 2008  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Did you wear "our shirt" today? I did! Thought of you on your favorite holiday. I will never forget pulling away to start our journey to the PNW. Miss you Pants.

    7:39 PM, November 27, 2008  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Hurry home but watch out for coppers! hugs and sending unhealthy turkey sammich thoughts!

    9:53 AM, November 30, 2008  
    Anonymous Daisy wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, that Bud. So funny.

    (But seriously, do you need "Let me go" or "Meltdown"? Hope not. And no Vampire Weekend neither!)

    xo

    8:54 PM, December 02, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home