Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, October 31, 2008

    Halloween





    That's right, I'm back in Mona's Poetry Friday Thang, because I just can't resist her thang, know what I'm sayin'? (Mona, email me about the pennies!)

    So here we go. I wrote this while I was supposed to be working out ionic valance numbers. So I got caught and had to go to the board and explain why Rubidium is more reactive than Calcium. The things I do for Art.


    At Halloween
    we seek to appease you
    our beloved dead
    (greatly feared)
    with black chocolate skulls,
    eyes filled with grey salt
    that we lick off our fingers.
    We even send our children
    out into the night.
    We hide their faces, tell them
    Be good now, ring, beg, run,
    And we forget that you
    (beloved dead, most feared loves)
    may shake the trees over their
    laughing heads,
    cloud the moon, slick the streets,
    because you too are hungry, begging
    to be remembered, seen,
    touched and comforted.
    Who can blame you for your anger then,
    shaking the house when the porch lights go dark,
    leaving you and the bright empty wrappers
    to blow lonely down the cold street?
    Beloved dead,
    (greatly feared)
    tricking us into thinking
    you return for a single night
    and evaporate with the sunlit frost.



    Anyone interested in those dark chocolate skulls can buy one here. Hey, while you're at it, buy me one too! Mmmmm...spicy...

    Labels: , , ,

    9 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks! Reading that cool poem was great way to start Halloween.

    I notice you posted at 12:01 AM. Was that by design?

    8:23 AM, October 31, 2008  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    OOOoooooh, scary.

    I notice that it says to eat the chocolate skulls within 6 months.

    Ha ha ha ha ha, As if they'd last 6 minutes.

    10:14 AM, October 31, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Nice.

    I like this:
    "because you too are hungry, begging
    to be remembered, seen,
    touched and comforted.
    Who can blame you for your anger then,
    shaking the house when the porch lights go dark"

    Hey, you missed Hot Redhead Thursday yesterday on my blog yesterday. Irr's head may have exploded....

    2:16 PM, October 31, 2008  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks, Rudi! And yes, The Andy taught me the ways of bending time.... Bwahahahaha!

    My thoughts exactly, Meno. Hell, I'd chew through the box as soon as it arrived.

    Thanks, Clowncar. It's a little rough, doesn't quite hang together.
    Damn, I may have both credentials, but I can't compete with Sharon Tate! So is Hot Redhead Thursday going to become a regular feature? I want to see Ir's head explode.

    3:25 PM, October 31, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Nah. You and Sharon are the only hot redheads that come to mind,so it'd be a pretty short-lived feature.

    Who're the boyos t-or-t-ing as tonight?

    3:44 PM, October 31, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Excellent, excellent poem Nancy, as always. I like that you took the slightly darker route, brought back a little of the old skool Hallo'een. Makes me think of my mother's folks all going down to the family cemetery on All Saint's Day to clean tombstones, carry off dead branches and tidy up the place.

    As for Sharon, I'm fairly certain that most of her blouse-full of goodies was probably due to clever use of makeup, a good lighting director and a push-up bra of industrial quality and manufacture. *g* I'm a real stickler for authenticity.

    7:23 AM, November 01, 2008  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Nice prose. I've missed your words.

    The scariest thing about halloween is it means the election is four days away. Uh, wait it's Monday already...make that tomorrow. The future of our leadership scares me shitless.

    4:15 PM, November 03, 2008  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Darling, I can't find your email address! And I'm longing for pennies! Email me at explodium@yahoo.com and I'll be forever grateful.

    9:50 AM, November 06, 2008  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I've been away from child rearing for so long, I've completely forgotten what this holiday is all about. We finally got some kids in our neighborhood and that has helped a bit. But you're bringing it back for me, Pants.

    3:32 AM, November 07, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home