Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, June 13, 2008

    Mona's Word – Change






    Sorry, guys. A nasty old cyst knocked me out for a while. Every time I think I've got the thing beat...some things never change.


    And other things do, so very quickly. The boyos just graduated from kindergarten. I remember shopping schools when they were two, and tearing up on the way home because they weren't my 'babies' anymore. And then I came to my senses and remembered that this was a good thing, that I never, ever wanted babies forever. I want eventual friends.


    They made me proud. And they made me cry. A couple days before graduation, we took them in early for an awards ceremony because they had both won. Teacher's discretion, she picked out five kids from her class who showed the true spirit of their school. Jack won an award for being Respectful to His Teachers and Fellow Students, and Declan won for Making Sure Everyone Was Always Safe, Even on the Playground.


    These awards are not what made me proud. They are pieces of paper.


    What makes me proud is actually seeing these traits in my boyos, in the classroom if not always at home. Jack says his pleases and thank yous and sits quietly when asked. Declan is the first one to run to a kid who's been hurt, and the first to share the ball or marker.


    But that's not what made me cry.


    What made me cry was graduation. The kids filed in one by one to “Pomp and Circumstance”, some straggling, some happy for the attention. I waited for my guys to come in. There was a break in the line – a kid and then no one, no one, no one. And then there was James*.


    The story I've heard that is that James is a triplet. Mom had a difficult labor, and James didn't get all the oxygen he needed. So he's in a 'wheeling chair' as the boyos call it, possibly blind, or at best sight-impaired. He undergoes periodic operations to help him walk and move better. James does not speak, but he makes wonderful, happy noises when he hears music.


    So there was James in his wheeling chair, pushed by one of his therapists. And there were my boyos, Jack just in front, respectfully leading the way for him and stopping and looking back to make sure everything was ok, and Declan at James' side, hand on his arm, making sure he was safe.


    Those are my good, good boyos.


    Who are currently trying to kill each other. Excuse me please...





    *Name changed of course.




    Labels: , ,

    15 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    You are raising up some good men folk there. We need more like them.

    6:37 PM, June 13, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    You have every reason to be deeply, profoundly proud of your two young men, Nancy.

    8:01 PM, June 13, 2008  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    It's a special type of fun to "catch" your kids being good. Especially if they don't think anyone is watching.

    I only have girls (3). I shudder to think what work it takes to make boys pick up on those finer social points.

    Job well done.

    9:23 PM, June 13, 2008  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Your boys understand more about people and kindness at the age of five than most people know over an entire lifetime. Well done Nancy!

    10:20 AM, June 14, 2008  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    You're a rockin' mom...and I love those boys.

    I got all teary at your story...awww!!!

    5:38 AM, June 16, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    I got a little teary too.

    Until I remembered your boys taught my girls the word "weiner."

    Replete with visual aids.

    :)

    10:39 AM, June 16, 2008  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    You should be proud.

    And just when I was wondering if I would EVER have moments like this with my twins due to their apparent lack of get-along genes, you graced me with that last sentence.

    Life is beautiful.

    3:38 PM, June 16, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    AWWW, sweet boyos. I am proud for you. I would love to get together for coffee if you have a moment! haha Have Schmoopie email you with my info...Miss T

    8:42 PM, June 23, 2008  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    I feel like a proud g-mama! If the boys DO kill each other?? Be content knowing they will still get into heaven... story = TOO SWEET!

    11:58 PM, June 24, 2008  
    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    Clearly you are raising two wonderful boyos:~) It never ceases to amaze me when kids are able to rise to the occasion without needing us to be there lifting them up. Congratulations to you!

    10:41 AM, June 25, 2008  
    Anonymous Daisy wrote in a love letter...

    sniff...


    (and I swear that my word verification looks like it says "boystomen")

    8:56 PM, July 03, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Hi Nancy. I haven't been keeping up with your blog, but am glad I checked it today. I am not surprised by the boyos' sweetness or the trying to kill each other part. These just exemplify their range of behavior.

    Lots of hugs to you and the fam,
    the pueblo lurker

    10:31 AM, July 09, 2008  
    Blogger Andy wrote in a love letter...

    Where, or where, is our Nancy Dancehall?

    12:55 PM, August 05, 2008  
    Blogger D-Man wrote in a love letter...

    Hope all is good...

    3:50 AM, August 06, 2008  
    Anonymous liv wrote in a love letter...

    that gave me the chills and reminded me I need to email you...

    3:19 PM, August 09, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home