Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Monday, June 02, 2008

    Joni Said It

    So I asked my instructor four questions tonight during the lecture and he couldn't answer any of them. Mostly what he said was, 'I don't know,” and “Don't worry about it, it won't be on the test.” If an advisor would ever call me back I'd switch to microbiology. This is going to be a long summer. I miss Nurse Bagel.



    But that's all irrelevant. What I really want to talk about are clouds.



    I came out of school remembering the last time I flew, and there they were, the biggest thunderheads I've ever seen, coming over the mountains.



    One of my dream-team classmates* was talking to me and we both stopped.
    “Do you feel that?” she asked.
    “Yeah!” I said.
    “Humidity.”
    “Hee! My t-shirt is clinging to me. I'm actually sweating.** This is freaky!”
    “It's like being at sea level. No, it's like walking on the beach!” she said.



    Then we saw the clouds.



    Driving home, I watched them roll and pulse and move. The sun was going behind the mountains and the clouds were Maxfield Parish pink on the tops, with orange bodies and deep blue and gray backs facing the East. They were so big and heavy that they cast a diagonal shadow across the rest of the Eastern sky all the way to the horizon. Beneath them everything was purple, the land ready to be bruised by these ethereal mountains, this floating ocean.



    In my head Joni Mitchell sang, “These are the clouds of Michaelangelo” over and over, while on the radio Seal sang, 'In a sky full of people/only some want to fly...in a hell full of people/only some want to fly/'cause they're not crazy.'



    Cars were swerving, drivers pointing out the window.



    There is a hill near my home that has the best view of the Front Range. There is a stop light on the hill. On the bike path beside it a couple was standing arm in arm staring at the mountains.



    Giddy, I shouted out to them, “No, no, no, don't look at the mountains! Those things will be there forever! Turn around!”



    They did, and they smiled up at the sky.



    In the neighborhood, a group of teenagers had stopped their basketball game to stare. People were out in every other yard, pointing. Standing on the sidewalk I could hear the 20-something guy one house over say to his buddy, “Look at those colors. Straight out of the Sistine Chapel!”



    These are the clouds of Michaelangelo...



    I wanted to shout that back, but I had more fun listening to them talk about the shapes the clouds took. The animals, the faces. I watched an old man laugh, and lovers approach, kiss and merge.



    I decided then that I'm coming back as a cloud that rises from the Pacific and falls into the Atlantic.



    These were the clouds that made men first look into the sky and conceive of the gods of thunder.



    I opened the garage door and was disappointed to see our other car – along with O and the boyos – still gone. I ran in and grabbed the camera, snapped some photos that capture nothing of what I saw. Like saying, Here, let me show you a bucket of water and tell you it's the ocean -- isn't the ocean beautiful?



    Click on this one up close. Thunder god.



    They were beautiful. They were terrible. They'll probably kill someone on the Eastern plains tonight.


    I hope to God not.




    *Sadly, the only one in my current A&P class. We all went separate ways with no Nurse Bagel to guide us.


    **Colorado is so dry that sweat evaporates directly off the skin. Not that that's a bad thing.



    Labels: ,

    16 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    "Don't worry about it, it won't be on the test."

    Way to kill curiosity, dude.

    I've looked at clouds from both sides now.

    12:32 AM, June 03, 2008  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    ..to come back as a cloud

    it sounds so noble.

    4:13 AM, June 03, 2008  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks Pants.

    I needed some beauty in my day.

    8:55 AM, June 03, 2008  
    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    ps, i love you.

    best view of the front range?

    where have i been looking all this time?

    10:34 AM, June 03, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    My favorite thing about that story is that everyone (almost) stopped and looked. Yay, everyone! I lov it when nature can stop people in their tracks like that.

    2:25 PM, June 03, 2008  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    If you miss the humidity, I'd be happy to share...but for now I'm just infatuated by your clouds

    5:56 PM, June 03, 2008  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    I love to watch Mother Nature doing her crafts! Your last photo especially captures the power and grace and unstoppability of the world around us. And we humans think we're so garsh-darn smart...nature still kicks us in the pants every time!

    5:03 AM, June 04, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    I can just imagine you driving up to people, wide-eyed and half-crazed saying "Hey, you, look at the clouds, not the mountains! What's wrong with you people!"

    A modern day Druid if ever there was one.

    6:33 AM, June 04, 2008  
    Anonymous Daisy wrote in a love letter...

    THose were aliens.

    It's just like the movies where people stop in their tracks and point, as the aliens move in and start zapping the puny humans.

    Did cows start flying through the air later?

    9:17 AM, June 04, 2008  
    Blogger Eric Shonkwiler wrote in a love letter...

    Great post. It's so rare to see people stop for that sort of thing, I love it when it happens.

    I've tried for years to capture clouds like that in my writing. Those in particular look earth-borne, like they rose from a volcano that's over the horizon.

    5:21 PM, June 04, 2008  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Those clouds are lovely but.. They will pass before I have to land in Denver Saturday RIGHT????

    9:50 PM, June 04, 2008  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Gorgeous! They remind me of the smoke clouds that rolled into Parker during the Hayman Fire.

    Whoa! Humidity in CO. What a novelty :)

    10:11 PM, June 05, 2008  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Didn't you guys have like a tornado just north of you recently?

    Clouds indeed!

    2:55 PM, June 06, 2008  
    Blogger Lucky Star wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, I have missed This so much! I sure picked the right entry on the right blog to remind myself of the completely soul-thrilling, spine-chilling greatness of the Art of Blogging!!!!

    Photos rarely can catch the majesty of moments like that, but thank you for sharing them. The words were the best part of the post but the pictures are the smile-nod at the end, the reassurance that neither you nor I imagined those clouds. :D

    xo
    Lisa

    12:02 PM, June 10, 2008  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    No doubt Meno. I'm emailing Nurse Bagel for extra homework.

    A noble gas, Maggie?

    Aw, thanks, Rudi. Happy to oblige. :-)

    I love you too, Liv. *hugs* At the top of Orchard Road in Greenwood Village. The best view of Pike's Peak from Denver, to be specific.

    I do too, Clowncar. Colorado can do that, especially during storms, or when the heat wave breaks and the first raindrops fall.

    Lovely, aren't they, Chica? I'd take the humidity over the skin-wrinkling dry air.

    Oh yeah, Mona. She puts on the best show. Always gets me going...

    lol, Ir! Repent, sinner! Put down that crucifix, the Green Man is Coming!

    Lol, Actually, there's a cow flying in the boyos' room right now, Daisy. I'll have to take pictures. I hope they're good aliens.

    Hi Eric! Clouds and skyscapes have to be the most difficult thing to capture in art, whether it be in words or paint. They never look real.

    Thy did, Cheesy. I asked nicely. *s*

    Crazy, huh Schmoop? Felt like home.

    We did, Scott. Tragic. That's why I was hoping this storm would just pass.

    Aw, Lisa, thanks! Welcome back! You've been missed. *hug*

    5:40 PM, June 13, 2008  
    Blogger Princess Stefania wrote in a love letter...

    Oh golly. Breathtakingly beautiful pictures. :)

    8:03 AM, November 09, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home