Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, May 09, 2008

    Every night I haunt a house in Russia









    Every night I haunt a house in Russia. I haunt the ghosts who live there. It's unintentional.



    I didn't know where I was, or that I even was anywhere. To me it was just dream after dream of the same place – the woods, the snow,

    the overhanging balcony like iced gingerbread,



    and inside, the dark, cramped wooden staircase I found myself climbing over and over against my will always awakening before my feet touched the landing. A blessing.



    Years passed in my dreams and in the world where I dreamed.

    Paint peeled.

    Furniture toppled.

    The ghosts got used to me, and eventually took a liking to me. I learned their names but I never remember them. They take no offense.

    I'm like a little doggy who comes to visit now and again. They feed me, so to speak, scratch behind my ears. I guess I must entertain them.


    I still don't like the stairs. Even now that I've seen what's at the top, and that the room isn't going to hurt me. That no ghosts in this place will hurt me.


    'Will' is different from 'can' though. And sometimes things change.

    I finally went up the stairs. All the way up. The paint up here is still bright, because it has stayed so dark. At some point, someone blackened the stained glass windows.


    There are two chairs facing each other across the room.



    Maybe the conversations up here were very nice once, with the light streaming through the windows.

    No one's come up to talk to me yet.

    And even though I'm alone, I can't make myself go back down the stairs.

    There's a table, you see, off to the side. A red one, next to the stairs. On the table is a hook.



    I can't get past that table.


    No one comes to talk to me. Not even the ghosts.


    I've been here a while now. Waiting to wake up.


    Come see me?





    The photos were taken 550km north-east from Moscow in Kostroma region near Chukhloma town.


    Mona's Poetry Friday word is, 'doggy.'




    Labels: , ,

    18 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Speechless. Which is difficult to covey here.

    6:56 AM, May 09, 2008  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Wow.

    The chill of lonely Siberian winds.
    More decadent decay than faded glory.
    Dry but lush.

    Synchronicital Moment: Now playing: "Jack, Your Dead"

    8:25 AM, May 09, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Truly stunning, ND. What a dreamscape. Those pictures by themselves are pretty haunting (no pun intended), and your spare prose underpinning gives them the context to turn them creepily beautiful.

    Yep, that's the phrase - creepily beautiful. And I'm sticking with it.

    That pic below "furniture toppled" is really scary. I guess they all are.

    11:23 AM, May 09, 2008  
    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    that was truly amazing. thanks for bringing this to sharing time. i love it. really. i do!

    11:37 AM, May 09, 2008  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    i have no idea what that meant, but it is beautiful.

    5:48 PM, May 09, 2008  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Speechless in a good way or a bad way, Maggie?

    Very nice. Aren't they just amazing, Rudi?

    Thank,s Clowncar. The last abandoned building I was in (apart from dreams) was a falling-down VA sanatorium that was being converted into apartments in Iowa. My college roommate was moving into one of them. Nice apartment, but if you took a right down the hall instead of a left and went behind a thick sheet of plastic, you ended up in a hallway with water pouring through holes in the ceiling, lined with hospital rooms, some with bare, rusted bed frames and other things. Probably the creepiest place I've been outside of my head.

    Thanks, Liv. It was better in my head, but it's ok here.

    Just a dream, meno, and like dreams it follows its own logic. But it makes more sense than most Japanese signs, right? ;-)

    9:22 AM, May 10, 2008  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    As a ghost I do not believe, if you were seen, you'd scare anyone (too adorable!)

    I really like that house. I want the long, farmhouse table, bench and all. :)

    9:39 PM, May 10, 2008  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I love what you've done here. I always do, though. Hey, Happy Mothers Day!

    7:28 AM, May 11, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Utterly creepy, Pants, and utterly beautiful, like most old abandoned buildings are.

    Happy Mother's Day (again!)

    1:27 PM, May 11, 2008  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    Makes me think of Poe.

    THe female singer not the stoned poet, but I suppose either applies.

    6:16 PM, May 11, 2008  
    Blogger D-Man wrote in a love letter...

    Orsome story and pics.

    3:58 AM, May 12, 2008  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Whoa. That's teh awesome.

    8:20 PM, May 12, 2008  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Happy belated mommers day gurlie... sniff those 2 cherrubs for g'ma cheese!

    8:47 AM, May 13, 2008  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Trippy house, trippier dreamer...

    2:40 PM, May 13, 2008  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Oh its good. Always good.

    1:20 PM, May 15, 2008  
    Anonymous a. ghost wrote in a love letter...

    Every night I haunt a bar in Brooklyn.

    6:46 PM, May 15, 2008  
    Anonymous Daisy wrote in a love letter...

    I'm down the hall reading Pushkin. We should meet for tea.

    8:35 PM, May 20, 2008  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, I like this one. . .

    10:24 PM, May 25, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home