Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, April 03, 2008

    1 + 2 = 7, Or, Don't Get Sick in Colorado







    This email made my day:


    Dear Nancy,

    Thanks for your email. It made my day. What an interesting question!
    In all my years of teaching Histology, never have I been asked that
    particular question...people often seem more concerned with
    memorizing than wondering!
    You are THINKING!!
    There are several benefits of branching in cardiac muscle cells.
    First, as you've pointed out, by having each cardiac muscle cell
    (fiber) send out branches, it increases the capacity of each fiber to
    pass electrical stimulatory currents to other fibers. In addition to
    the nerves and Purkinje fibers, electrical communication via
    intercalated disks is a key part of the remarkable system of
    conductivity that spreads contraction through the heart.
    Another benefit of branching is this: By having an "irregular" shape,
    the complex squeezing action of the heart muscle is facilitated. As
    you know, the heart squeezes like a fist to act as a pump, and the
    squeezing motion is precise and repetitive. Skeletal muscle fibers
    usually move in one plane, and can accomplish what they need to by
    being unbranched and exerting their force in one direction.
    I hope that helps.
    Good luck with your studies!
    All the best,

    Dr. Dave
    ----------------------------------
    David T. Moran, Ph.D.
    CEO, VisualHistology.com
    PO Box 1142
    Niwot, CO 80544 USA



    It took the sting out of getting laughed at by one of our fine higher-education institutes, which refused to even send me free information on their nursing program.



    We had a substitute teacher yesterday because our regular instructor, a nurse, had to cover a 'critical shortage of nurses' at her hospital.


    I wonder how that happens?





    Labels: , ,

    14 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    what utter bullshit. i am manifesting a place in school for you right now. feh.

    4:03 PM, April 03, 2008  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    and by what reason did they refuse? they certainly couldn't be overbooked if there is a shortage. I heard not long ago that because of the baby boom retirement crisis, teachers and nurses were going to be in high demand in the near future. stick to your guns Nancy (Nancy get your guns?) - we need you! SmartyNancyPants.

    5:39 PM, April 03, 2008  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Keep pushing. Dr. Dave recognizes that you are not one of the commoners. The schools will catch on if you keep after them. Keep calling back and don't take the first no as an answer. Or the second or the third or...

    5:39 PM, April 03, 2008  
    OpenID Gordo wrote in a love letter...

    That's a letter worth keeping, that's for sure. Cripes, I even understood most of it. LOL

    I imagine nursing shortages happen down there the same way they do up here: Don't pay them for shit, even though they're the real medical geniuses in the hospital; make sure that the doctors and administrators treat them like shit, same qualifier as the first one; drive them out of the profession. Semi-instant shortage.

    I have a neighbour who left nursing to become a school-teacher, for God's sakes. What does that tell you?

    5:52 PM, April 03, 2008  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    1)Shortage of nurses.
    2)Smart woman who would make an EXCELLENT nurse turned down for nursing school.

    What is wrong with this picture?

    5:53 PM, April 03, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    I didn't understand much past the first few words and I work in the damned medical field. Nancy, why don't you just skip the whole Nurse Dancehall thing and just go right for Dr. Dancehall, Expert Xenobiologist?

    7:22 PM, April 03, 2008  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    This has me wondering what the current nursing situation is like here. Hmmmmmm.

    I wonder if we are having difficulty seeing the forest for the trees.

    7:57 PM, April 03, 2008  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    If it were me and I were you, I'd drop all the begging and open up another nurses college.

    Just be the manager/owner. Hire accredited teachers. Rent space somewhere for a campus.

    Get the last laugh while you rake in the dough...

    Bwa ha ha ha!

    12:59 PM, April 04, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    I like Irr's idea. Paging Dr. Pants. Paging Dr. Pants. Please zip up to surgery immediately.

    I'm sorry. That is perhaps the worst pun ever. I blame society.

    1:49 PM, April 04, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    *LMAO* @ Clowncar

    7:39 PM, April 04, 2008  
    Blogger greenmoss wrote in a love letter...

    Nursey Dancehall or is that Nancy Nursehall. Histology is a wonderful sport and cardiac construction is a phenomenal pursuit. Go get all of it!! You will be what you want to be. Reapply where you want to go. Apply where you dare not go and go anyway. Your intensity and focus will serve you. Your maturity will make you the envy of nursing school. I was 33 when I started nursing school. You have the advantage of understanding a greater quantity of life experience that may have been experienced by others. You have a natural curiosity about the connection between organs organisms orgasms and the orgy we call life.
    I think I have said enough.
    mykljon/greenmoss
    (I had to change my identity)

    10:23 PM, April 08, 2008  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Oh fer cripes sake! [[[[u]]]]]

    6:11 AM, April 11, 2008  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I'll take it, Live. *hug*

    The problem is getting enough teachers, Maggie. They get paid(a little) more as a nurse out here, so it isn't worth it for them to go back and get the necessary Master's degree to teach.

    Thanks, Bud. *hug* I'll be dynamiting doors after this semester.

    Give that Gordo a cigar! Absolutely right.

    It's a geography question, Meno.

    lol...you sound like my mom, Ir. 'You could be a doctor!' Ga. I want 20 years back.

    Forest? What forest, Chica?

    *g* In searching for an accredited school, I learned a little about what it takes to open one, Scott. Thanks, but I'll pass.

    It's ALWAYS society's fault, Clowncar. ;-)

    Hey, long time no see, Mr.Greenmoss thanks for the pep talk!

    *hugs back* Cheesy!

    9:35 AM, April 11, 2008  
    Anonymous Daisy wrote in a love letter...

    So, bide your time, make some cash and go work for Dr. Dave.

    12:31 PM, April 16, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home