Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, March 20, 2008

    P is for Poem





    Ok, so I'm jumping the gun early on Mona's Friday Thang, but I actually have a free moment right now to post.



    The word of the day is the letter 'P'.


    This was inspired by this amazing poem (in my top 5 favs) and by this idea.

    So enjoy. I don't do this often. Poems are so hard. Like trying to remember a dream.





    Lost and Found


    Lost:

    One shoe,

    lonely at the edge

    of an empty highway.

    Reward offered:

    One step closer

    to your true home.


    Found:

    Beach glass;

    well-worn

    blue, an

    old bit of

    bottle.

    Reach me with details

    at

    the foam's edge.


    Lost:

    My mother's memories

    of recent years.

    Please return them

    even if they are broken

    or stained.

    I can repair them

    with spare parts from

    my own.

    I've been here with her

    every day.

    Reward – one of

    my memories:

    the sheen of rain

    on blue hydrangeas

    though my mother's

    warped glass window

    the first time she forgot my name.


    Lost:

    My way when

    the ink dried

    and I thought the

    shape of a sound

    might replace it.



    Found:

    At the shadow-haunted edge of things

    a milk tooth,

    rather sharp.

    Should it go unclaimed

    am willing to trade

    for the word that means

    'a mother who loses a child'.


    Found:

    The last ray of sunlight

    that shone on a man's face

    in the garden before

    the clouds came up.

    I can be reached under the petals.






    Labels: , , ,

    13 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    I'm so blown away. That is the most most excellent poem I've read in so so long. I just listened to the Li-Young Lee poem a few days ago and I fell in love with it. Between the two of you, I'm scared to write any poetry now.

    Lost and Found made me cry. And you know how you get that emotional overwhelm and goosebumps at the same time that makes your skin tingle and your head swoon? Yeah, that happened.

    2:53 PM, March 20, 2008  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Holy shit. That is so beautiful! Each one is a song idea to me. One of these days when I'm writing again, I'll ask you to remind me of every time I told you that.mmdsmmuc

    4:17 PM, March 20, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Whew. Incredible. I had to read it three or four times, like a favourite dish that I keep going back to the serving board for more of.

    I loved the Lee poem, and when you said you'd been motivated by it I was afraid for a moment but that foolish fear was misplaced and wasted. You took a little piece of Lee's clay and you rolled it out across the table and you shaped it with careful fingers and you breathed life upon it and set it walking upon it's feet, like you've done so many times before.

    Nursing? Medical school? Cripes woman, you need to be writing, all the time. All. The. Time.

    Mona, I think she's spanked us all with this one. Spanked us roundly and sent us to bed without supper.

    8:09 PM, March 20, 2008  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Mmmmm, thanks, I feel better now.

    8:26 PM, March 20, 2008  
    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    Beautiful words, lady. You really did a phenomenal job.

    10:06 AM, March 21, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Nicely done. I too read it several times. And you've sapped my motivation to write, as I cannot compete with that.

    "the sheen of rain/ on blue hydrangeas / though my mother's/ warped glass window/ the first time she forgot my name"

    The rhythm and imagery of that, and the stab of understanding in that last line, keeps me coming back to it over and over.

    10:51 AM, March 21, 2008  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thank you, Maggie. I live for that. No go write something, dammit!

    *g* Thanks, Bud. Just remember me when it's time to book your opening act. Hungover Mother needs a break. ;-)

    You make me blush, Ir, thank you. Find me an agent and I'll write all the time. :-)

    Anytime, Rudi. :-)

    Thanks, Liv! :-)

    Thanks, Clowncar, but you'd BETTER go write something, dammit. I still have your Little Dickel and I'm not above holding it hostage...heh heh heh... ;-)

    4:09 PM, March 21, 2008  
    Blogger sari wrote in a love letter...

    I loved all of it.

    9:32 PM, March 22, 2008  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Nancy, you win.

    You kicked "P"s ass soundly, and I stand in quaking awe of you.

    I would kiss you soundly if you were here, and then smack your butt in (mock) jealousy...well done, sister, well done!

    7:21 PM, March 23, 2008  
    Blogger Mother of Invention wrote in a love letter...

    "P" is for Proud You Must Be at this one....Profound too. I love all your recent posts. Writing may be on the sideburner for now while you are in school but you can turn up the heat anytime since you clearly have a gift.

    7:25 AM, March 26, 2008  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Evocative. Yeah, poems are hard, but you just made it look effortless.
    I'l think about sea glass all day now.

    9:37 AM, March 26, 2008  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks, Sari! :-)

    Woo-Hoo, Mona! ;-)

    Thank you so much, MOI! That really feels good to hear. :-)

    Thanks, Patches. How goes the packing? I'm sure you are supervising.

    11:25 AM, March 27, 2008  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    You have Clowncar's little dickel? Oh dear. I don't want to know.

    Happy Poetry Month.

    8:35 PM, April 01, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home