Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, March 27, 2008

    Education in the USSR








    Not feeling so hot. Feeling old, actually.


    I put aside the dream of Sonography a while ago. With 170 applicants each semester and only 5 taken, I don't stand a chance. So I decided to be pragmatic. Nursing or Medical Technology? Both appeal greatly. And there is a higher demand for nurses and med techs than for sonographers.


    But guess what? All those schools are full too. And the waiting lists, which you can only get on after you've completed all your pre-recs, are one to two years long. By my reckoning, that only puts me in the door at 40. Oh, and two of the schools just added a couple more pre-recs.


    So make that 41.


    Anyway. I'm trying to muster enthusiasm to study for my tests next week. The thing is, the enthusiasm is there, just because I LOVE THIS. But...I'm tired of banging my head against the wall. What the hell good does 103.5% do when you're in the USSR?









    Labels: , , , , ,

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    i kind of think you should be up for head bon bon eater. that sounds more restful.

    did i help?

    no, i don't guess so.

    (hug)

    12:05 PM, March 27, 2008  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Well that's really fucking discouraging!

    But in the other hand, so what if you're 41?

    1:08 PM, March 27, 2008  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    Very discouraging but you're looking too far down the road. Concentrate on one class, one test at a time.

    Shel Silverstein wrote a poem about a little girl who eats a whale - she took one bite at a time and chewed really slow and it took her a long time but she finally did eat the whole darn thing. You've got a big frickin' whale on your plate - stop trying to eat it all in one bite. ;-)

    I love Shel Silverstein!

    1:57 PM, March 27, 2008  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Kiddo, DMG has it right. The end of school is a long way off, and you know as well as I that a LOT can change in a day, much less over the course of years. Rock climbing, I'm told, is all about focusing on the rock right in front of you, not the two miles of vertical cliff that you still have to scale. Live in the now, and let the future worry about itself for right now.

    Chew that whale, lady!

    7:06 PM, March 27, 2008  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    You are teh awesome. What's age anyway? Pffft...if I'd listened to what people said I should be doing when I was 25, or 30, or 35, I'd be on my fourth marriage with rotten kids living in a trailer park somewhere trying to hold on to my three remaining teeth!

    Everything comes in its own time. Some of us just get on the bus a little later, but it means we can go further down the line, have better adventures, really enjoy where we're going instead of that hurry-up-and-get-there attitude of those younger folks.

    Keep on keepin' on, woman!

    5:07 AM, March 28, 2008  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    Changing your mind is okay. Don't settle.

    9:54 AM, March 28, 2008  
    Blogger Clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    41 is young. Chew the whale! You love it is what matters. So pursue it.

    1:15 PM, March 28, 2008  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    So, do you want me to reveal how old I was when I finished my degree? Cuz it was after the 41 mark.....

    Keep on.

    (And I thought the industry was desperate for nurses? What's with the waiting lists? Open those doors, people!)

    8:37 PM, April 01, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home