Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, December 25, 2007

    Maybe She Went Off with Esereth*


    Merry Christmas, all.

    I'm back out of my cave for a while.




    The darker days, the longer nights. There's a reason mankind has always celebrated the light, or Light, as some would have it, and not wrongly. It's the lead-up that kills, the stress bearing down like an incoming snowstorm over the mountains. What surprises will the family pull this year? What would make everyone happy? What can be done without breaking the bank?


    And now that The Day is here, some of the stress has blown off, and I've got a minute to put my thoughts together. Bear with me; I have a hell of a cold, something that tiptoed behind me out from the Heart of Darkness and pounced like a hedge lion** a few days ago.




    But there have been a few bright spots too.


    We spent a magical couple of days with the Clowncar-Hux fambly, making gingerbread houses and talking into the wee (whee!?) hours after the kiddos finally(!) fell asleep. We are all at crossroads of one sort or another, mostly dealing with career changes/evolutions, and it's good to talk to someone and get a bit of perspective. It's also nice to talk to another adult about things other than children.



    Despite this vile illness, which I hope I did not pass along, I managed to keep from being Inert Hostess the next morning. I wish I could have held out 'til that night, when Jo came over. I sat mostly inert in front of Rat.a.too.ee (one of her gifts to the boyos) inertly but happily clutching the gifts she gave me – my first scrubs and a stethoscope. They made me cry, they did. She's the best gift-giver ever.


    And I've added seven pages to JALL and I like all seven of them.*** I've added three beyond that, and I don't like those. They will not be staying.


    The snow is falling outside. We have a nasty baby blizzard going while I sit in front of the fire and type this.

    That alone would constitute contentment, however, my folks are out there somewhere on the road in Nebraska and they are heading this way and I worry, worry, worry. I've talked to them several times today. So far the weather has held, but outside of Kearney the skies were turning dark and dirty. I'm afraid they will try to drive on through. There should be signs posted on the Western edge of Oglalla, Nebraska saying, “Beyond Here There Be Dragons”. The only thing Eastern Colorado has going for it over Mars is slightly more breathable air. If they pass Sterling, my folks will be committed to driving through the Wasteland. There is Nothing Else Out There.


    Once they are here, I'll probably be crawling back into the cave. I say this to break it. If I tell you I won't post, then I will. They are staying with us through New Year's. The house gets verrrry small. I hope my dad is in a better mood than this summer. That's an understatement.


    It's still snowing. The light is failing for today.




    Update: My folks made it to a hotel in North Platte. The storm caught them quickly; everything was fine, then it took them an hour and a half to go nine miles. They passed car after car off in the ditch. Tomorrow they'll cross the Eastern Plains, weather-willing.


    *Tempting.


    ** Reading 'The Shining' for the first time has not colored my mood for the better. Holiday Greetings from the Overlook Hotel!


    ***All work and no play makes Dancehall a Nancy boy.... All work and no play makes Dancehall a Nancy boy ....



    Labels: , , , , ,

    12 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    I hope that your parents arrive safe and sound and don't end up in some weird maze thingy. (reference back to 'The Shining') The view outside your window is postcard perfect...especially when viewed from wind blown but sunny Southern California. Maybe you'll get lucky and parents will decide to leave early...one can hope:~)

    7:14 PM, December 25, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Yikes! That's my honest reaction. I hope they are safe. And I hope they don't piss you off. How unbelievable sweet to give you scrubs and a stethoscope! How fantastic you can celebrate the 7 good pages and sanely reject the three, well, rejects. I will wait patiently to see how all this turns out. Hope you get well fast. Merry Christmas, Pants!

    8:03 PM, December 25, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    The roads are BAD. Tell M&D to stop and wait it out. For real. Just drove through it and I've only got a mile to get to work.

    Can't wait to read the pages!
    /jo

    8:04 PM, December 25, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Scrubs and a stetho...well done, Jo! Merry Xmas a day late, Pants. And you ought to be carefully, posting photos of your toasty toes higgeldy-piggeldy on the web, you'll have some foot fetishist blog-reader of yours over the Moon. *lol*

    Here's hoping the visit is peaceful and that the New Year brings us all better than the previous one did.

    10:03 AM, December 26, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    I say celebrate all pages, including those you want to toss, because they demonstrate thinking and effort and words written. They are an accomplishment, even if they go away forever.

    Nice architecture, folks. Love the rose window made of "stained glass."

    And watch for a gossipy email coming your way; perhaps the giggle it contains will lighten the mood in case your dad is not on best behavior...

    3:43 PM, December 26, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    That first picture looks like it was taken by a really short person.

    Oh.....ahem.

    That snow is exquisite.

    8:02 PM, December 26, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    ^5 JO... you ARE awesome!! Hey pants I know that hearth!!

    The houses are faboo... you done good kiddo.. I have a question? Is that damned spider frozen outside your window?? hehehe had to ask~~~

    PEACE FILLED HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOUR WONDERFUL FAMILY MY DEAR.

    12:49 AM, December 27, 2007  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    Is the snowman art from this year or last?

    Good luck with the parents. I survived my holiday by stashing an iced pitcher of mojitos in the laundry room...just sayin'

    2:48 PM, December 27, 2007  
    Blogger sari wrote in a love letter...

    the shining is one of my favorite books ever! spooky!

    i hope you're parents made it all right.

    7:39 PM, December 27, 2007  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    I feel your pain. We're having our own little remake of The Shining this week too.

    7:21 AM, December 28, 2007  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    The pic of the light through the Lifesaver stained glass is great. Eaten your house yet?

    Redrum! Redrum!

    12:22 PM, December 28, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    They did arrive safely, Lynn, thank you! I wouldn't mind a bit of Cali right now.

    Thanks, Bud. I can't wait o see how this all turns out too. *s* (And you still haven't emailed me an address for the check!)

    Have fun in Utah, Jo! *s*

    Hmmm...didn't think about that...but none have come out of the woodwork yet, Ir. *blush*

    Even though I don't like them, I always save m old pages in a 'junk' file, Amusing. Sort of a, 'what if' thing. And where's that email!?!?

    Watch yer shins, meno. *wink*

    When it got cold, the spider stopped going into its web at night. Then one cold night, the spider came down from its place on the bricks and went into the center of the spiderweb. I came back later to take a look and it was gone. I don't know if it fell or jumped or was blown away in the wind. It did leave behind a batch of eggs...

    Last year actually, Chica. Cute, huh? I hope the mojitos worked for you. I'm surviving on hot toddies. *s*

    It was pretty good, Sari. Have to say The Stand is still my fav. They did make it all right.

    And The Exorcist too, it sounds like, DMG. Poor you!

    I'll email you some pics clowncar. So which part in The Shining really freaked you out?

    12:27 AM, December 30, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home