Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, November 14, 2007

    Sail On







    I have a few songs I like to set my star by, if you know what I mean. Songs that pull me through the tough times, songs that remind me I have flesh on my bones and a heart beating inside. This is one of them.


    'Sail On', by the very talented and sexy-voiced William Topley.


    It goes like this:


    Sail On



    If I'd have only gone and listened where I'd come from
    I might have known where I was going
    Crossed the river looking sad with a street song
    We thought we knew what we were doing
    With baited breath and sly schoolmaster's eyes
    He said "We had one like you before, baby"
    Said "He died in debt on a foreign shore"
    I said "But I bet he had a smile on his face"



    As he sailed on
    Sailed on
    Sailed on
    Sailed on



    With baited breath and prison warden's eyes
    He said "We had one like you before, baby”
    Said, "He died in debt on a foreign shore"
    I said, "But I bet he had a smile on his face"



    As he sailed on
    Saints suffering praises yeah
    To make sail in this craziness
    The sea twists and your ship mates pray
    To make land on a holy day



    And they could not teach him how to spell shame
    The sailors hung the letters round his neck from a gold chain
    He dropped the chain at the bottom of a lagoon
    On the wrong side of Suez
    And made a missionary bad for the full moon, child.



    Hold on fire

    Hold on fire

    I’m burning



    And they could not teach him how to spell shame
    The sailors hung the letters round his neck from a gold chain
    I found the chain at the bottom of a lagoon
    On the wrong side of Suez
    And I made a missionary bad for the full moon, child.



    Sail on, Sail on, my baby

    Sal on, Sail on, my darling




    I always wondered about the line, 'Wrong side of Suez. What is the 'wrong' side of Suez? (And how do I get there?) When I had the chance to ask William, he was already pretty drunk, and I was well on my way to the same condition. So I kept wondering.


    Until today, when I came across a story by Rudyard Kipling that begins:


    'East of Suez, some hold, the direct control of Providence ceases; Man being there handed over to the power of the Gods and Devil of Asia, and the Church of England Providence only exercising an occasional and modified supervision in the case of Englishmen.'


    The story is 'The Mark of the Beast', about an Englishman who runs afoul of the Indian god Hanuman, and becomes a werewolf.


    Hee! My skin's still tingling.


















    Labels: , , , ,

    7 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    You are right...he certainly does have a very sexy voice. I need to go cool off now.

    12:14 AM, November 15, 2007  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    I love it when I make connections like that.

    12:57 AM, November 15, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks for that. I never listened to this dude. I like him.

    7:06 AM, November 15, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, isn't it wondrous providence when the needed passage arises at the perfect time?

    10:27 AM, November 15, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Reading Kipling? My GODS woman, you rock out loud!

    4:37 PM, November 15, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    He has that reaction on women, Lynn. Whew!

    Me too, D-Man.

    Hey, I only listen to the best, Bud. So....new CD yet? :-)

    Providence sometimes provides for the heathens too, Amusing. Thank goodness. ;-)

    Hee! Thanks, Ir. :-)

    11:17 PM, November 15, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, Providence -- by any name -- is much older than religion....

    7:17 PM, November 16, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home