Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, November 07, 2007

    He Came with the House







    First, the house.

    "Come on!" Nicholas tugged at my nightgown sleeve. I got out of bed and followed, rubbing my eyes. Streetlights shone in the windows bright enough to show us the hall. He led me to the stairs and we went down. As you may know, if you have ever gotten up in the middle of the night in a house full of sleeping people, every step on a staircase announces your coming like a thunderclap.

    And yet I didn’t hear the other noises until we were just outside the swinging kitchen door. Nicholas looked up at me with eyes identical in size and hue to the flow blue plates mama collected and kept on a shelf. Mine probably looked the same. Through the door I could hear a steady buzz, high pitched. Hand shaking a little, I pushed the door open, still wanting to be like the brave heroines in my books. Catherine wouldn't flinch in the face of a queer night sound, I thought to myself.

    We looked in. No one was readily visible and nothing looked disturbed. I stepped through the door, held it open for my brother who followed on tip toe. By the way he absently tugged on his pajama pants, I could tell he had to pee. I did too. The buzzing stopped. In the silence rather than the noise itself, I identified it as a drill. Now a new sound took its place - the rough back and forth rhythm of a hand saw. Nothing at the windows or the door that led to the garden. Nicholas knew what I was looking at and redirected my focus.

    "The refrigerator, Elizabeth."

    He was right. The sounds came from, or rather from behind, the refrigerator. We watched, waiting for the door to open, or I think for the whole thing to expolde. The sawing stopped and I walked toward the refrigerator. Nicholas stayed where he was. I stopped within reach of the handle when a noise like snapping wood came through. Summoning my last bit of courage and picturing Catherine, I grabbed the cool dark handle. I would have opened it; my grip tightened, my weight shifted from front foot to back, when I heard a man sneeze. I jumped, feet literally separating from the floor, and spun around. I ran back across the kitchen and grabbed Nicholas' arm on my way through the door. He was still staring at the refrigerator with his mouth open. He flew behind me in my rush up the stairs. We both slept in my bed huddled under the covers....


    TBC



    Labels: , ,

    6 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Okay, you got me. I'm coming back for more.

    4:09 AM, November 08, 2007  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    Looking forward to more....I've seen a few entreés walk out of the refrigerator by themselves.

    1:11 PM, November 08, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    No fair with the cliffhangers! *pout*

    6:45 PM, November 08, 2007  
    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    Is making us wait for more an aftereffect from the e-coli the other night?

    7:49 PM, November 08, 2007  
    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    Are you trying to make up for the e. coli horror show? Do you know how bad e. coli has been to my baby? If you're trying to win me over with a good story, you're so totally succeeding.

    8:00 PM, November 08, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Yay! I'd hate to lose you as a reader, Bud. :-)

    That happens a lot around here too, Chica. :-)

    Hey, I gotta do something to make you stick around, Ir. :-) My comments go waaaaay down during NaBloPoMo.

    More a result of the test I had to study for, Lynn. No time to do a proper entry.

    Aw, Liv! Did your baby have e. coli? That's awful! Glad I haven't scared you away. I'd miss ya.

    11:06 PM, November 08, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home