Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, November 08, 2007

    He Came with the House, Part two




    I'm afraid this might be a tease. I've been studying non-stop and I was scrambling to come up with an entry, so I opened an old file and did a cut and paste. I'm not even sure this thing is done, though I vaguely remember writing the majority of it years ago in a notebook somewhere. We'll see.


    The next morning in the safety of the light pouring through the windows and eight noisy brothers and sisters fighting over cereal and milk, I confronted Mama at breakfast. One by one, voices quieted as I relayed the events of the previous night, which Nicholas confirmed. Nicholas and I weren't the only ones who felt uneasy in our new nest, and we wanted Mama to tell us why.

    "I didn't want you children to worry needlessly, but since you have noticed some strange things, I guess you should know. There is a man living in the walls. He is the previous owner and I have agreed to let him stay under certain conditions. Now finish your breakfast."

    Nine mouths opened at once.

    "Mother! you've got to be kidding!"

    "A man is living in the walls?"

    "He must be crazy. You must be crazy!"

    Mama kept her calm. "The Man in the Walls won't hurt you, so stop fussing. He's quite pleasant really. I couldn't turn down the house. I needed a big place to raise nine children and this one was reasonably priced. I couldn't turn it down after I found out the conditions." She looked up at us, everyone silent for the first time since she announced that father was gone and we had one month to find a new home.

    She shrugged, her hands palms up in the air. "He came with the house," she said, like she was talking about a troublesome washing machine. "Finish you breakfast already. We're running late!"


    Labels: , ,

    3 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Ha!, I love that!

    5:00 AM, November 09, 2007  
    Blogger ms chica wrote in a love letter...

    "He came with the house..." I love how that has the same ring to it as, "Because I said so."

    3:16 PM, November 11, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Oh. He's a SquirrelMan, obviously!

    3:53 PM, November 11, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home