Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, November 24, 2007

    Bee-ing There






    I have a small talent for being at the right place at the right time. This spring it got me free tickets to see The Police. Last night it was an Unnamed Commercial Bakery/Coffeeshop (you take what you can get in the 'burbs) at closing time, when the manager gave me a bag of cookies to take home. Awww.


    Problem is, I'm usually alone at these times. And this stuff's much more fun when you can share.


    That's why last Monday was so great.


    The Clowncar-Hux family (I'd link but Mr. Clowncar refuses to play Blogger) came up from the dusty regions of Southern Colorado to spend the weekend. On Monday I called the boyos' school (family in town, sorry, can't make school today) and we took the boyos and the girlios to the movies.


    The box office was dark and empty. We checked the movie times on the marquee above. Yup, the next show was twenty minutes away, the previous one had started half an hour ago. Behind glass doors the lobby was full of stacked white boxes. The concessions were as dark as the box office.


    A manager came to the door and opened it. “Can I help you?” she asked.

    “Um. We'd like to see a movie?”

    “What movie would you like to see?”

    Glancing at the kids. “Um. B*e Movie?”

    “Ok. Well. None of my staff showed up this morning. There was a communication problem

    So no movie. Sigh

    “—so come on in. I can't open the cash registers, so the movie's free.”


    We had the muliplex to ourselves. Hux and I could go get popcorn, pop and Skittles (Free free free!) And leave Clowncar alone with the kiddos without apologies to the rest of the patrons. We had to switch theaters, because the automated projectors decided to show the movie in a different one, and the manager cheerfully(!) helped carry our stuff and herd the kiddos into the one next to ours.


    It was straight out of 'Night of the Comet' I swear. Only without the radioactive zombies, which made it extra-sweet for me.


    Oh, and B*e Movie was hilarious. Go see it, even if you have to pay.











    Labels: , ,

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Night of The Comet? *LMAO* I've been reading "I Am Legend" in preparation for watching the Wm. Smith movie version, plus I've been replaying scenes from "Omega Man" and Vincent Price's "Last Man On Earth" in my head, so this post hit true.

    And what's wrong with radioactive zombies? At least you can see them at night by their eerie glow, and if you put one in a bottle they make for excellent night lights. Except for all the moaning and scrabbling and demanding to devour human flesh, that is.

    8:55 AM, November 25, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    You are amazing! It is fun to witness your cosmic connection to the universe!

    12:14 PM, November 25, 2007  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    I am forever amazed at how the warp and weave of the threads of the universe are rearranged upon encountering the presence of Ms. Dancehall. Me, I had to buy my own popcorn. Sigh....

    Good movie, though.

    The Chabon book is amazing. Makes me wish I were a better writer.

    2:36 PM, November 25, 2007  
    Anonymous a. zombie wrote in a love letter...

    We prefer the term "Flesh-challanged."

    2:37 PM, November 25, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Man, that IS sweet. And so is a free bag of cookies. Especially when you're alone so nobody can count how many you ate.

    3:00 PM, November 25, 2007  
    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    You have definitely accrued some good karma!

    9:45 PM, November 25, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Dammit, Ir, that's right; I forgot to mention the giant 'I Am Legend' poster hanging over the lobby. It just made everything that much funnier. (And I about spewed my coffee at the zombie nightlight suggestion)

    Cosmic or comic, Schmoop? :-)

    Chabon is a god. What did I tell you, Clowncar.

    Die Zombie scum! Er...um...undie?...um...

    Hee! The boyos don't even know about the cookies, Bud.

    And I have no idea how or why, Lynn. lol

    11:42 PM, November 25, 2007  
    Anonymous Emily R wrote in a love letter...

    THat is FANTASTIC!!!

    I love COne Day at Ben and Jerry's because, not only do we get free ice cream, but we all share the experience together.

    6:28 AM, November 26, 2007  
    Blogger liv wrote in a love letter...

    mmm....free movie? righteous.

    11:59 PM, November 26, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Love those moments of grace in life! Yippee!

    [By contrast, my boys were so excited to take their grandfather, the beekeeper, to see the B*e Movie -- in fact, the Youngest decided he HAD to get a bee Pez dispenser to give to the grandfather. But my folks just said "oh, it's not playing around here" and that was the end of that.....]

    11:31 AM, November 30, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home