Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, October 20, 2007

    The Stuff That Gets Whispered in My Ear


    Or, Mona's Poetry Word of the Day -- Fear.



    So in terms of words, what is it that makes life good; nouns or adjectives? The thing itself, or its attributes? Do we love a peach, or do we love its 'sweet', its 'juicy', its 'fuzzy'? Would we still love coffee apart from its 'black', its 'robust' its 'rich'? Would we understand 'sweet' without the context of a peach? What about a wound? We'd certainly enjoy it more without 'painful', 'deep', 'fatal'. But can you imagine the thought of 'seeping' or 'septic' unmoored from context, and how frightening that might be?



    * * *



    He'd had a life without her, before her of course. Billions of years of it. Most you wouldn't understand, most he never thought about, even though he could bring up any day he wanted and examine it in perfect clarity, like retrieving a diamond from a deep well. He kept his thoughts to current events; the last six thousand years or so.










    Labels: , , ,

    7 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Oh Penemuel! How I've missed your voice. ;)

    His life before Sara wasn't as meaningful or full of love. I need to read the end of your wonderful book and it needs to be published! I'll help with your book tour.

    9:55 PM, October 20, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I like verbs a whole lot better as descriptors, myself. As in "the coffee lap-danced all over my sweet receptors."

    5:10 AM, October 21, 2007  
    Blogger Mother of Invention wrote in a love letter...

    Adjectivial Aspects of the language say it all for me!

    7:33 AM, October 21, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Hee...he's never quiet. Ok, well, he's always quiet, but... I want to read the end of the book too. ;-)

    LOL, Bud, my fellow coffee-lover!

    Adjectival Aspects...nice, MOI :-)

    9:36 AM, October 21, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Six thousand years of memories, and being able to call each up as it was--you know, that makes me awfully glad I'm human, and that my data retrieval wetware is faulty, prone to colouring things and quite capable of editing out the bits that were more septic than it ought to be.

    7:24 PM, October 21, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    to Bob, that sounded really dirty at first.

    Nancy, I loooove that paragraph. I'd like to get to know this guy more. Just from that one paragraph. Oh to have just a pinky finger of your talent.

    8:35 AM, October 22, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Pen's gonna feel the same way here soon, Ir... (Yeah, right, if I ever get back to filling in that 4-chapter hole...

    Maggie! Thank you! He's nice but he's wordy.

    8:53 AM, October 23, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home