Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, September 09, 2007

    Study Break








    He reached into his robes and the letter had become half of a cockle shell. It explained things better to her than all the words he knew. It talked about things built and left behind. It talked about growth, about incompleteness. It talked about shelter and emptiness. It was a hard open hand and an empty bowl.

    He cupped it in his palm. He lifted his open hand. Would she trade? Would she even understand?


    * * *

    The blasphemer's prayer: "Give me what I want."



    * * *


    Gone for days and days, you never call you never write...

    smile

    Not many letter boxes where I was.

    laugh

    How come you've never written me a love letter?

    Why would I write you a love letter?

    Why not?

    Because they're so sad.

    What's so sad about I love you?

    Well, the fact that a love letter is being written at all indicates that the beloved is distant. That's sad.

    Hmm. Never thought of it that way.

    All love letters are by nature sorrowful.


    * * *



    The kitties miss you, Jo. Bella grabbed my arm and bit my wrist. I'm intensely flattered.



    * * *

    On my way home in about ten, O.







    Labels: , , ,

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    Love the dialogue.

    4:23 AM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    There you go again filling my head with lyric possibilities. You and I are gonna get together on this eventually. You know that, don't you? The cockle shell thing is powerful. The love letter thing hit me hard. Threw me back to my first month in college. Glad yo take these study breaks.

    5:04 AM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger Lucy wrote in a love letter...

    You really have a handle on the dialogue. Consider yourself lucky. A lot of writers don't get the pace, rhythm, and flow of dialogue.

    Anyway, I thought I'd pop in and say HI! I'm a standup comedienne from NYC blogging her way to stardom. I would love it if you stopped by and dropped a few words of wisdom my way. I'm always looking for insightful comments from new blogger friends.

    Quest For Comedic Stardom
    http://standup101.blogspot.com

    6:01 AM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    I've always thought reading your writing was like eating a bountiful feast - lots of tastes, textures and colors. Delectable!
    :-)

    Love the blasphemer's prayer!

    Prayer of the faithful - "Give me what we need."

    9:24 AM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    "Well, the fact that a love letter is being written at all indicates that the beloved is distant."

    Boy howdie lady you hit the nail on the head there for me...

    See you in a few days baby gurlie! I will call when I better know what day I will be arriving... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

    10:46 AM, September 10, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    The blasphemer's prayer: "Give me what I want."

    I certainly have taken what I need from here before.

    Also makes me think about "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.

    8:57 PM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Is a love note less sad? Just a short bit for the purpose of inducing a smile during the day?

    9:06 PM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    Hold on while I grab some tissues.

    10:50 PM, September 10, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    E fantastico that you are writing.

    Not sure that love letters are always sad. Sometimes thereàs that sense of ritorneravamo...I am returning (mentally), too.

    Iàm so glad that Bellissima loves her Auntie Mommy. I miss them both and I am happy youàre with them.
    /jo

    6:57 AM, September 11, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks, D-Man. *s*

    I know that, Bud. Name the time and place. *s* Glad you liked it. It's been something I've been trying to grasp for the book. One of those little details just out of reach until I have no time to write.

    Hey, welcome Lucy, and thank you! Good luck with the stardom. You have a very interesting site. I'll link ya here when I get a minute. *s*

    Aw, thanks DMG! Good talking to you today. The Giant Baby sounds good. *s*

    I thought that might hit home with you, Cheese. *s* Saturday night work for you? Give me a holler. Yay!!!!

    Good old Uncle Shelby. A wise man, Rudi.


    Good point, meno. I guess it depends on how young the relationship is, whether it's at that early, don't-leave-my-sight-or-
    I-shall-surly-die stage, or years into it when a love note can bring more happiness than sorrow. Hmmm. thinking.

    Aw, Lynn. *hug*

    Jo, are you like in Italy or something? *wink* Kiss something for me that Michaelangelo would have liked. Oh, say, something dark-haired and well-muscled from holding up all that drapery. *ducking*

    7:31 PM, September 12, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home