Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, May 17, 2007

    Series Finale

    First of all, can I say that three glasses of Chianti make me a better mom? They really do.


    Anyway.


    I went to the retirement party tonight for my print shop bosses. Out of three freelancers (including the one who works in-house in my footsteps) I was the only one to show. So it was C and P the retirees, G the office manager and her husband, D the pressman and his wife, and S the sales guy/business partner and his wife. Just us Old Crew.


    And the Old Crew is making a lot of adjustments. The old shop is closed, all the equipment and personnel moved and merged with the other place across town. Waaaay across town. G is talking about retiring herself and moving to Grand Junction. Me, I've got school and a new career to think about. And D the pressman (and all-around IT Genius and Problem-Solver) went on about one of the graphic designers quitting today because she wanted to 'do design work only' and was through with putting names on business cards, and didn't get along with him anyway.


    I admit, my ears did perk up a little, but you know what? I didn't jump on it. Not like I would have a short time ago. And that felt good.*


    C made a toast and we all stood, clinked glasses, laughed. P handed the waiter her camera and after he took a picture of all of us, he asked if we were mother and daughter.

    “Because of the red hair?” P asked.

    “No. You two have the same smile.”


    It's funny. I'm sure if anyone were watching, what they saw was a family. And they wouldn't be that far off. C is the father, P the mother. (Think a kinder but just as opinionated Archie and a not-quite-so-ditzy Edith.) G is the eldest daughter, the steadfast one. D is the son who simultaneously wants approval and to rebel, who can't quite seem to leave the nest though he's tried since I've known him. And now he's the only one staying with the company.


    Me, I'm the youngest daughter, and all that entails. I guess that leaves S as the weird uncle. Yeah, that works.


    I looked at everyone and thought of the changes we'd all been through in the past ten years. And then I couldn't believe that ten years had passed.


    The whole thing has the air of a series finale. Old characters you've grown to know and love, now sharing one last meal before moving on. And the camera pans back. Roll credits.





    *Not that I'd turn down the work. I mean, if someone puts money in your hand, close your fist, right? But...I don't want to work with any other bosses in this capacity. I've held a few jobs, and the ones I liked best were the ones where I could like and respect my boss. I don't think I could like or respect these new bosses, from what I've heard.




    Labels: , , ,

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    I want to do design work only.

    4:26 AM, May 17, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Heh...I just tried putting my coworkers in my 'family', and while most fit a quite lovely and honest way, there seems to be a preponderence of 'weird uncles'...!

    I'm glad you went to the party. You needed to. You have to. For family.

    5:41 AM, May 17, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    It's no wonder coworkers resemble family after a few years. We practically spend more waking hours with them. From what I've witnessed, printing attracts unique personality types.

    I was surprised, when you said your previously earned credits wouldn't count toward the sonographer requirements. I thought the college credits lasted longer.

    6:57 AM, May 17, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    The doofi I work with are my family too! Sounds like it was a nice way to bid them all adieu...Cheers to your wonderful upcoming adventures!

    8:13 AM, May 17, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    I AM the youngest daughter, and so i have some understanding of all that entails.

    Flying away time is hard. but essential.

    BTW, i am all over the algebra if you need any help with your homework.

    12:09 PM, May 17, 2007  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Good for you! I'd be more effusive, but time is kinda limited these days. But we're all rooting for you down here! It sounds like a really good profession for you.

    I might have one more piece of design work in June.

    I get to write God Is Dead in giant letters on the blackboard tomorrow. Teaching Act 3 of the Crucible. My point is gonna be pretty tame-dramatic irony-but hopefully I won't have a bunch of parents with torches and pitchforks on my lawn.

    Good luck with school!

    5:21 PM, May 17, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Endings and beginnings. Mourning and hope. Life movement, who can stop it?

    Oh and I'm working on this 3 chianti theory - so far so good.

    6:02 PM, May 18, 2007  
    Blogger Mother of Invention wrote in a love letter...

    Nice when a workplace can seem like a family and you are just about to meet up with a new family in your next endeavour! Good luck!

    7:17 PM, May 18, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    D-Man: You primadonna! ;-)

    lol...the weird uncles seem limitless, don't they, Mona? I thought I was going to miss the party, since I was out of town, but they actually moved it. I was glad I could go.

    That's true on both counts, Patches. But this group was about as stable as you can get. It was a sucessful business because of it. We all worked really well together, but when there were fights, they really did resemble family disputes. I know! I thought a diploma was good forever. Guess not.

    It was a perfect ending, Cheesy. And we get so few of those in this life.

    The age difference between C and me really set up some weird father-daughter-type confrontations sometimes, Meno. And when D bent his lanky 6'3 frame down to me and asked, "What's with the new nose bling?" I punched him in the arm as any good little sister would.

    Still untorched I hope, Clowncar? ;-) Raincheck on the zoo? Or the plantarium would be very much fun.

    See, Maggie? It works! ;-)

    I hope I gt as lucky with personnel again, MOI. Thanks for the good thoughts. :-)

    9:09 PM, May 18, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    My jobs end after four months or six months or sometimes a few weeks.

    The same group of trouble seem to flit in and out of them though.

    Not enough vaginas in my line of work, is the biggest drawback.

    Hitting your thumb with a two pound hammer is also a drawback.

    That nose bling is so you'll fit in in school, right?

    10:21 PM, May 18, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home