Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, May 12, 2007

    Finding Meno

    I'm back home, unpacked, and breaking up fights every five minutes. So, that gives me...four minutes to sum up a perfect day.

    And to show you a decent pic of my sparkly nose and unmanageable Pacific Northwest hair. See?





    Ever had so much to say that writing failed you? I'm sure this hasn't happened to any of you.

    Maybe my brain is still filtering things.

    I heard a story once about a Englishman traveling through some colonized country or other. He had a team of natives lugging his unessential luggage of course, and after traveling several hours, they all sat down as one. When he asked why they refused to move, one of them answered, “We've been traveling so fast, we need to wait for our souls to catch up to us.”

    So maybe that's it. My soul's still catching up. Of course the trip was so quick, I imagine my soul's only just got to Alki Beach, and is enjoying the surf in my washed-out footsteps. I wouldn't be surprised if it stuck around there for a while. It would be a fool if it didn't.

    Seattle. Is. Beautiful. I got sunburned there, in the land of crazy-mad rain. I could count the clouds on one hand.



    Anyway, I'll do my best in my soulless condition to write about Meeting Meno!



    I would have known her anywhere from her beautiful eyes. They haven't changed since she was a kid. And yes, the height was a tip-off as well, but everyone seems tall when you're four foot ten.

    Schmoop and I met Meno at a restaurant next to the market – a place with a stunning view of the sound (not to mention that we were seated at the best table in the house; they must have know it was us. Heh.) One of Schmoop's new friends joined us as well. It was so comfortable. It was really more like catching-up than getting-to-know-you.

    Anyway. What's Meno like you ask?

    She is extraordinary. Funny, sarcastic, lovely and very intelligent. Just as you would expect from her blog. And I was so glad she stayed with us after lunch. We had a great deal of fun exploring the Pike's Place Market, and she didn't even look at me funny when I went into a reverie over the fresh produce. (Well maybe she did, I don't know. I was busy dreaming about the morels and what they could become under my tender care).


    We took a water taxi from the market to Alki beach and back again, just to get out on the water. Oh, there's nothing better. I felt good out there. It's been a long time since I've kept my balance on a boat. But my body remembered what to do.

    We stood at the prow on our way back and I watched the boat cut through the water, churning it, turning it white and sending up perfect little spherical droplets that fell back into the whole. A little rainstorm right above the water. And I didn't think about much else. I just watched and listened and smelled and gave my head a break.



    Later, we met up with Stucco in a (can you believe it?) coffeehouse. They have those there.

    But no clouds. Seattle does NOT have clouds. Or rain.

    At the coffeehouse we had to drink these little pink things that had nothing to do with coffee. At least they were cute and cold and sprinkled with tasty little crumbs of...something. And they were free. Woo-hoo!

    I think Meno was expecting Stucco to have a giant head, like those fish-lens photos of dogs that give them big eyes and giant noses.



    Anyway, we had fun talking some more, and after that, it was time to go. There were kids to pick up and food to order, and one last unexpected beach comb before going to the airport.

    Later, I'll tell you about Cannon Beach. And everything else. Soon as my soul gets back.

    If.





    Labels: , , , , ,

    18 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Aww, Nancy, you're just so cute. Sounds like a great trip. You got the most out of a brief trip.

    Writing is my brain's failed attempt at the butterfly stroke, which usually results in a poorly executed dog paddle. I spend a lot effort treading water, but never really making progress. Maybe I'm just waiting for my soul to find me too.

    5:14 PM, May 12, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    You did a better job than i at summing up a wonderful day. It was a priviledge to meet you. Given the whirlwind nature of your Northwest tour, i am glad to have made it onto the itinerary.

    I would never make fun of anyone for cooing over beautiful produce, and those flowers!

    When your soul does return, i bet it will smell like salt water.

    xxxoo

    5:44 PM, May 12, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    There is some primal part of us all that responds to the ocean, that bit of us that still remembers being born from those waters. The smell of salt air...oh.

    Tell your soul to take it's time. *S*

    5:57 PM, May 12, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Y o u S h O u l d

    s l o w D o w n

    y o u r vi s i ts

    m i ss y so w e c a n a l l g e t


    t o sa y "hello".


    Hopefully, you'll have a next time...


    Hard to beat the beach when the weather is nice...


    (They get even better, the further south you go...)

    6:15 PM, May 12, 2007  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    What? No axe murderers?

    8:25 PM, May 12, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Seattle. Is. Sunny. When you bring the sun with you. And good thing you did. You are beautiful. And you reacted to Pike's Place as my twin - to see the fresh produce at all those stands. Ahh. And the ocean. The ocean. God I'm in day dream land all ready. I'm so happy you got to go. And meet Meno too.

    9:48 PM, May 12, 2007  
    Blogger lu wrote in a love letter...

    Well, you are lovely. Excellent trip!

    5:39 AM, May 13, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Did you get to see the fish-throwing guys? And does Stucco really have that much face? My sweet mercies that's a lot of face.

    And did you notice how all that wonderful green jungle background sort of tints the edges of your hair? Makes you look like a little dryad or something. A modern, espresso-drinking, body-pierced dryad, but still. *grin*

    And Happy Mother's Day! *big hug*

    6:34 AM, May 13, 2007  
    Blogger Da Duck wrote in a love letter...

    aaaaawe!! love the nose sparkle!!

    Sounds like a great time!!!!!!!

    Happy Mommy's Day!

    7:35 AM, May 13, 2007  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    holy crap you're pretty. And small. In the top picture you look like you should be snapping fiery Irish accented orders to your handsome husband.

    11:08 AM, May 13, 2007  
    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I've never been to Seattle and now I can't wait to go.

    5:42 PM, May 13, 2007  
    Blogger Mother of Invention wrote in a love letter...

    I'm glad you got to meet Meno. You'd be a foot shorter than me too! You have gorgeous hair!!! Believe me, you'd not be wanting my straight fine baby hair.

    9:23 PM, May 13, 2007  
    Blogger Open Grove Claudia wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks for the photos! They are beautiful! What a fun trip.

    9:23 AM, May 14, 2007  
    Anonymous Meredith wrote in a love letter...

    I feel like I've been living under a rock forever instead of on one. Sounds like you had a lovely adventure. I can't see your nose sparkley but I'm sure it looks lovely. You're adorable.

    9:31 PM, May 14, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Cool pics baby gurlie! Dammmmmmit I sure wanted to hook up in CB but for SURE next time! Hehehe FINALLY someone shorter than me! BTW ^5 fellow redhead! But I wasn't blessed with the purdy colored eyes... mine are brown... Daddy said it was cuz I'm fulla chit up to here .... I'm am sooo happy the weather was so awesome for your stay! Hurry back to our time zone!

    9:08 PM, May 15, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks, Patches. Puh-leese; you're a great writer. (How DOES a cat dog-paddle, anyway?)

    Nah, I liked your post better, Meno. :-) Are you kidding? I would have bent time to fit you into my visit if I had to. Luckily, I didn't have to. I'm sure we'll see each other again.

    You've got that right, Ir. Always loved the ocean. Schmoop's dog thought I was going to swim out into it. And thank you! If I were a dryad, I'd be the coffee-guzzling, body-pierced, tattood-someday variety. Oak-dwelling for sure.

    You bet there will be a next time, Scott, and a looooonger trip. Gotta meet you, right? And yes, the beaches in Oregon are spectacular. At least Cannon Beach was. My GOD!

    Not unless _you_ were lurking at the Market, Popeye. *wink* I didn't have my mommy to protect me.

    Ok Maggie, so when are we going strolling through the Market? I want to cook with you! We'll make cookies for Meno. :-)

    Aw, thank you Lu! It was a perfect trip, except for the brevity.

    Thanks, Duckie! I like my sparkle too. :)

    LOL, Es. I just don't have it in me, but if I did, they'd be fiery Irish orders with German command. Pretty scary. O saw the third pic and said, "Make sure they know you're not a child."

    Go, Lynn, Go! It's beautiful!

    I was gald I got to meet Meno too, MOI. Lovely lady. So you're a tall on too, huh?

    Thanks, Claudia. The trip was a much-needed sanity break in lieu of a break with sanity. :-)

    Get up there, Mer! Schmoop is a gracious hostess as always and A and Z are getting big!

    LOL Cheesy! Yes, absolutely I'll be back there and we'll meet! And I'd trade my purdy colored eyes for your purdy hair in a heartbeat, you Amazon. ;-)

    10:53 PM, May 15, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    That wading into the ocean pic is killer.

    12:37 PM, May 16, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    How I love that picture of you. I saw it on MySpace too! I've loved getting to meet my blogpals and I hope I get to meet you one day. This summer I'll get to record with one, Deni Bonet. That'll be a thrill! Cathy and I have been talking about going back to the Grand Canyon. If so, we'll have to get p to Vegas to see our blogpal Andy who just moved there. I also have some frineds in Arizona. But I'll start politicing to get er to agree to a Colorado trip. We've never been there.

    1:13 PM, May 27, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home