Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, May 20, 2007

    An Experiment

    To write the next part, I need to go a little crazy.


    And you, Dear Readers, are going to help me.


    Your assignment, if you chose to accept it, is to pay close attention to birds for the next week. Watch them in nature, of course. But also watch for them to turn up in songs, in images, in dreams even.


    And while you're at it, think about what birds mean to you personally.


    You can tell me your stories as they happen, or you can save them up for next Saturday night, since I'm hoping to carve out a little more writing time on Sunday.


    Spread the word.


    Birds.





    Labels: , , ,

    26 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Does getting flipped off in traffic count?

    Ok serious now... hehhee... Will do boss lady!

    9:15 PM, May 20, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    bird tales?

    hmmm...

    Old ones? (We rescued an owl from the highway once)

    Sad ones (falling nest stories, etc...)

    Ohhh, I got one!

    A red tailed Hawk and The Kate Wolf Music Festival Story?

    10:00 PM, May 20, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Thinking of birds for you....

    My cats think of birds too. But maybe not for you.

    10:32 AM, May 21, 2007  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    Crows and I have an understanding.

    1:46 PM, May 21, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    I heard a twist on the typical "a little birdie told me" imagery.
    In "Prairie Song" by the Lascivious Biddies there is a line:

    open your mouth little bird, tell my sister Mary what you've heard

    I like how it invokes being happy and in love and wanting to tell but being to shy to say so.

    Could also be trying to tell someone far away, or the confidences of sisters.

    Other "bird" brained thoughts...

    Michael Caine talking about "birds" can be sexy.

    One Thanksgiving 25+ years ago, as we're sitting down to eat, someone remarks on what a "big bird" that is. A young cousin's ears perk up and she asks "did you says that's Big Bird?"

    She's a lovely, well adjusted, member of society now but I think the psychic scars are still there.

    3:56 PM, May 21, 2007  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    I like birds. Mmmmm...

    :)

    4:32 AM, May 22, 2007  
    Blogger Mother of Invention wrote in a love letter...

    The early bird gets the worm! (My speech teacher and sisters made me say this repeatedly..and then howled their heads off!

    6:42 AM, May 22, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Last Saturday at Boy-child's soccer game, pointy-winged birds (starlings? not sure) suddenly descended upon their game and started swooping at ankle-level along the grass, then up above heads, around and down. They swirled and moved and dodged just like the soccer boys did, and finally flew out of site.

    We weren't sure if they were longing for proper feet with which to join in the game, or if they saw some really tasty worms on the field.

    7:40 AM, May 22, 2007  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Just what I need - more assignments.

    But this one's easy - at the Sand Dunes last week, there is a hummingbird feeder outside of every room, and hummingbirds everywhere. Like 5 or 6 at any given time. The girls were transfixed by their ability to remain motionless (so were we). And that cool sound their wings make.

    Good luck on the book.

    11:38 AM, May 22, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Every day at 9:30am we take the little ones for a walk around the building before entering the playground. Our building is very old (1910 or so) and surrounded by century trees. When we reach this one particularly tall evergreen, there is always a robin at the very tip top, singing her heart out to anyone who may wander by. I get tears in my eyes every time I hear her.

    9:17 PM, May 22, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    I wrote several pages. For real. It begins over on betelgeuse.

    Perhaps sometime in the distant future, when I have another day off, I will show it to you and you can tell me if it's of any use.

    I am very very glad you are returning to the book.
    /jo

    3:05 PM, May 23, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    I female house sparrow takes her breaks from her bubby and her nesting by landing on the recieving unit on our satelite dish. She sits there and chirps, while I imagine signals sent in reverse to the cosmos in a language that is actually understandable to other worlds.

    Cheep cheep cheep... Taweeet...

    3:14 PM, May 23, 2007  
    Blogger Sober Briquette wrote in a love letter...

    I linked over here again (and now I have you in my feeds - phew!) and coincidentally, my last post was (sort of) about birds.

    It's nice to watch them go to the neighbor's yard for food, then back across to the woods in our yard.

    We went for a walk at a marsh on Tuesday. There actually weren't many birds, although with two kids and a dog, they heard us coming. As we approached another of the many bridges, suddenly four mallard drakes pushed off the bank into the water.

    I saw a male Baltimore Oriole, which is a little rare, here.

    Last month, on several occasions, I saw flocks of wild turkeys. The Totem of the Turkey is self sacrifice, although I never quite resolved what the turkeys might have been trying to tell me.

    3:18 PM, May 23, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    I've got a house wren around here, a little male who for the past two years has built nests in an old bookcase standing in my garage. He's desperate to impress the girls, but I think they all realise that even the most cleverly constructed nest in the world isn't all that safe when the front of the bookcase is open.

    6:08 PM, May 23, 2007  
    Blogger Lucia wrote in a love letter...

    So, after reading this post a few days ago, this whole bird thing is shaping up into a post of its own that I'll put on my blog in the next couple of days.

    6:39 PM, May 23, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Birds flying high
    You know how I feel
    Sun in the sky
    You know how I feel
    Reeds driftin' on by
    You know how I feel
    It's a new dawn
    It's a new day
    It's a new life
    For me
    And I'm feeling good

    Fish in the sea
    You know how I feel
    River running free
    You know how I feel
    Blossom in the tree
    You know how I feel
    It's a new dawn
    It's a new day
    It's a new life
    For me
    And I'm feeling good

    Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know
    Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
    Sleep in peace when the day is done
    And this old world is a new world
    And a bold world
    For me

    Stars when you shine
    You know how I feel
    Scent of the pine
    You know how I feel
    Yeah freedom is mine
    And I know how I feel
    It's a new dawn
    It's a new day
    It's a new life
    For me

    And I'm feeling good

    7:51 PM, May 23, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Chicadees are my favorite bird. The old lady who lived up the street from us on the Nubble told me you could tame them and they would eat from your hand, but I've never tried.

    I think, even before the avian flu, mothers have always regarded birds as agents of disease. I remember finding a dead bird in our yard. I brought it into the house to find a shoebox to bury it in and I remember she wanted it out out out, "wash your hands!" Poor little bird with his wobbly neck.

    When I was young, whoever saw the first robin (harbinger of spring) got a quarter. My kids just don't care.

    I love the persistence of house wrens. A pair found the hole in the screen of my parents' porch and built a nest next to the Silver Palate cookbook in an old black walnut wardrobe. My dad removed it and they scooted around to the other side of the house where, because my dad leaves the garage door open most of the day, they took up residence in the bicycle helmet he had hanging upside down from a hook. I think he removed that too, but they kept trying!

    10:39 AM, May 24, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Dang it, I can't leave a comment on my own blog. What's up with that? I'll try to remember all my earth-shaking replies...

    Why DO we call it 'the bird', Cheesy? (Oh, and for anybody who enjoys incredible writing, go check out Cheesy's last two entries. I think that would be all of you.)

    New bird stories, Scoot. Bird encounters of this week. Though I am quite entrigued by the Kate Wolf/Red Tailed Hawk story...

    Cats will always keep their own council, Meno. And perhaps that makes for a slightly less disturbing world...

    And what IS that understanding, Stucco? I have one of my own with that very same bird.

    Ah yes, birds as secret-keers. I like thatone, Rudi.
    Just to scar your cousin a little further:

    http://www.joe-ks.com/
    archives/BigBirdThanks.jpg

    But what's your favorite bird, D-Man? One that doesn't involve gravy?

    Ouch, MOI! Your speech teacer did that?

    Now THAT'S a cool story, Mona. :-)

    Little flying jewels at the sand dunes...extra-good stuff...and I've got a bird story from yesterday that you will love, Clowncar.

    Oh, excellent, excellent bird story Schmoop. That gave me an idea. (And put Jane Siberry in my head.)

    Can't wait to read it, Jo. I'll mosey on by.

    Oh, yeah Scott...sparrow on a satelite dish...good good good...

    Sober Briquette, hello and welcome! I've been lurking on your site for a while, now that you're back. Is it ok if I link to you? I'll have to go over and read your post...been busy!

    Heh, I wonder if he promises the lady birds bookworms, Ir. Do you keep your garage door open?

    Yay! I can't wait to read it, Lucia.

    Amusing, you couldn't have picked a better song for this assignment. I need to check Muse out. :-)

    10:43 AM, May 24, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, I just read a good chickadee story...cool.
    Two birds trying to find a home...yeah...there we go.

    (I love the Silver Palate cookbook, BTW)

    10:47 AM, May 24, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Nancy darling, I completed you homework assignment and I posted it here.

    3:25 PM, May 24, 2007  
    Blogger Lynn wrote in a love letter...

    At one of my schools a bird has built a nest in the air conditioning unit which is installed right above the door. This bird did not have a song in it's little birdy heart until this morning...That's right, the bird decided to serenade me for 45 minutes straight, while I was trying to test a student. As soon as the testing was done, so was the bird...go figure.

    9:39 PM, May 24, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Our new dog catches birds and brings them into the house like a cat does, and gives them to Mum.

    Not the kind of story you had in mind, I imagine...

    11:47 PM, May 24, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    I'm missing you like a bird would miss it's wings.

    10:10 AM, May 25, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    So I was gardening the other day. Got to chirping at a Chickadee. He hopped up into the tree a little then branch by branch came back toward me, chirping in return. I'm wondering what sort of odd conversation we had in Chickadese. I hope I didn't say anything offensive. But he seemed pleased.

    I started a story about birds about three weeks ago. Birds watching humans and trying to figure us out by our actions. It was strange to try to see us through their eyes.

    My husband and I were laying in bed the other night and we heard a bird with a distinct call. Sort of a repeated caw in lowering pitch. I tried to repeat it and my husband through tear laughter told me I sounded more like a monkey. I too was laughing. But I demonstrated my sound effect for a rifle and it was deemed quite good.

    3:05 PM, May 25, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    You get an 'A', Patches. :-)

    Oh, Lynn, I love that! I hope your student did well.

    SOunds like your dogs are having a species identity crisis, Scott. And actually, that image is perfect. I mean, PERFECT.

    Aw, Mona. *hug* Busy week for both of us, huh?

    You need the Snow White School of Bird Languages, Maggie. ;-) I wonder what that nightbird was. And I think you should post your imitation of a rifle.

    5:01 PM, May 25, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Ok Nancy 2 little tales....

    Old one: My beloved Buddah Kitty caught a bird and brought it to me .. in the house... alive... and let it go at my feet. He was as surprised as I when it flew into the kitchen and hit the window. Dazed,it landed in the sink. I quickly scooped it up and set it free outside. Buddah did not witness this and jumped up into the sink and WAILED into the garbage disposal off and on for HOURS. I STILL GIGGLE THINKING ABOUT THAT.

    Moment this week:
    While driving to work... I encounter many wild turkeys. This week [and I'm kicking myself I didn't have my camera!] I see a very large tom all plumbed out in his finest mating stance... almost nose to nose with a horse. I think he needs glasses or is dumber than a rock.

    10:28 PM, May 30, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home