Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, April 19, 2007

    Waiting in the Wings

    Two hawks drift still and close on the wind before the storm climbs over the Flatirons in clouds bigger than mountains and moving weightlessly.

    We've seen the hawks before, circling above the park where we walk. You wonder if they are free, or if they belong to one of the houses ringing the lacrosse fields.

    I shrug. 'If they can keep falcons,' I start to say, stopping when I feel soft kisses along my collarbone, warm breath against my ear.

    The scent of cherry blossoms comes and goes against the smell of incoming rain. The new grass under my bare feet is dense and deep green from all the snow, the ground soft and comforting. I think of how it would feel to pull you down right here and make love with you out in the open before the storm reaches us. Or we could run to the cottonwood at the end of the field and climb into the branches where we'd be safe. And we would be; no lightning would dare strike our tree.

    We have the mated hawks and the cherry blossoms, the slate grey clouds and the young leaves glowing bright green against them, we have the last of the day's sunlight, and the fierce wind that coaxes your body closer to mine.

    It's impossible to think that we won't have this forever. But the trees will drop their white flowers at our feet. The cerulean sky will fade like denim in the relentless summer sun. Time and the desert will drink the green. And the leaves will turn and fall. Your hand in mine, we may walk this path one last time before the snow falls again.

    We'll dream through it, I want to tell you. Safely entangled, we'll dream of hawks soaring and cherry blossoms opening. We'll dream of green miracles and each other. And we will wake up again. We will.






    Labels: , , ,

    13 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    This made me wistful and day-dreamy. So lovely, Nancy!

    Who is this Neil of which you speak? You know the coolest bloggers....

    4:43 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    You transported me, successfully. I'm with you now, hope this doesn't make things too crowded. Coaxes, entangling, collarbone......it all pulls me in.

    7:14 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    I think Neil Gaiman is trembling in his Doc Martens over the infringement, Nancy. I'm sure he's gonna change his work. I mean, he hasn't got a chance against you. *lol*

    8:02 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Nice. Particularly "The cerulean sky will fade like denim in the relentless summer sun." Although that was pulled out almost at random;the whole thing is so good. The hawks part is very cool too.

    I see you're now mentioning Neil by name in an effort to get him to read your writing (he would, I think, love it). You should hire a stalker to track him. Hire, because I imagine stalking someone with 2 small toddlers in tow would be rather dificult. You'd be like the worst stalker ever.

    10:04 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Your categories are almost longer than the post and they crack me up.

    10:26 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    OH!! THAT Neil! Okay, now I'm on the same page.

    And I think two toddlers is perfect cover for a stalker. If, uh, y'know...you were ever to do it.

    10:34 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    'bare feet' on new grass - to dream the dream

    10:52 AM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Let's see. Feeling scattered and giddy, drunk on spring today. How do you bed a season? A storm? A blooming tree? I'd happily settle for just a tree...

    Yup, Neil is Neil Gaiman. *snort* And I would be the worst stalker ever, but speaking from the 'stalkee' side, I wouldn't call and announce my intentions. That's just dumb. The boyos _would_ make good cover, until one of them said from the bushes, "Mommy! That man needs to comb his hair!" Besides, he'd recognize me as the woman who put his face on a demonic tomato for charity, and then turned crimson when a spider bit his hand while signing her book on the Anansi Boys tour. Sheesh!
    And Ir, I just want to be the second best writer you've never heard of. I have no intention of toppling the Dream King. Bad mojo there.

    Animals strike curious poses, Patches? ;-)

    Meno, my catagories would stretch to heaven if they didn't limit us to 200 characters. We hates Blogger! Just a couple weeks now, woo-hoo!!!

    Aw Maggie. Come West, young woman!

    12:38 PM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    I thought you were talking about your hubby and was feeling all warm and fuzzy because I know someone happily involved... and then this Neil cat comes Tomming around and now I am left with but the soaring hawks to keep my spirits lifted...

    Have you made Washingtonian plans, as of yet?

    The Pacific is far larger than two days of *snort*, poking around...

    8:30 PM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Oh but I am happily involved, thank you very much. *s* Writers _are_ vampires after all, and sometimes we drink our own blood. Neil's just a mentor. Of sorts. Like, in my fantasy life. Where we hang out with Tori Amos.
    I'm in Seattle May 7th-9th, in the loving care of Schmoop and Stucco, with plans to meet Meno. And you're right; two days ain't enough.

    9:07 PM, April 19, 2007  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    I love hawks. And I loved that.

    10:17 PM, April 19, 2007  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    Hmm....Hawks may fly but they bring to earth the problem of dissertation!!!! mwah-hah-ha - despite a brief fantasy interlude, I must return to my dungeon.
    Drat.
    Dantares.

    10:28 AM, April 20, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Oh my. Good luck with that. Now stop procrastinating, dear! *s*

    1:44 PM, April 20, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home