Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, March 09, 2007

    Mona's Word of the Day – Tea

    Thanks, Mona!

    1. According to legend, a Chinese emperor discovered tea as he was walking through his garden. It was a cold morning, so he carried a mug of hot water to sip as he admired the plants and rocks and water that made up his surroundings. A gust of wind blew a handful of tea leaves into his cup. As he studied their dance on the water, they brewed. The emperor found the smell irresistible, and took a sip.

    2. O and I have amassed a collection of coffee and tea mugs over the years; the vast majority hand-made, some from Ireland, one from a friend in Africa. When friends come over, they choose a mug, and it becomes 'their' mug while they are here. There isn't much overlapping, which I find interesting. My pantry is stocked with 32 varieties of tea. There isn't much overlapping there, either.

    3. I've been drinking nothing but Yogi Echinacea Tea for the past week. Along with two aspirin, It's the only relief I've had from this head cold.

    4. Lil Hux stopped by one day with a friend she used to work with in Estes Park. C is from Canterbury and was in the country visiting old friends. We went to an Italian restaurant, stuffed ourselves with pasta salad, down a couple bottles of good red wine, and came back here, where C demonstrated the proper way to make a pot of tea. To thank her for the lesson, I drove her to the airport. We talked the whole way. It was like finding an old friend. That Christmas, she sent me a huge care package of tea and chocolate digestives, and excellent Cadbury candy. I still make tea they way C showed me, but it never quite matches up to hers.

    5. Go look at Gary's Pottery. I drool over the teapots with the little bunnies and elephants. I love this guy's stuff.

    Labels: , , , ,

    11 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    When Cathy and i were teaching we got dozens of mugs from kids every year. We couldn't possibly keep them all. Only a couple survived the years and the moves. WE also have a big variety of teas but I'm far too impatient to make it in the traditional way. In fact I'm a mostly coffee kind of guy. LOTS of coffee. But I've always admired the ritual of traditional tea drinkers. And I LOVE chocolate Digestives. Hope you feel better soon.

    9:00 PM, March 09, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    I've swapped beer for tea. Funny how much more sophisticated I've become in such a short time...

    12:38 AM, March 10, 2007  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    Mr T used to say "I pity the fool!".

    He probably still does.

    1:30 AM, March 10, 2007  
    Blogger Da Duck wrote in a love letter...

    oooooooooh I love the piggie ones!!!!!

    4:19 AM, March 10, 2007  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I havn't got time but I would love a cuppatee.
    Dantares.

    4:43 AM, March 10, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Choosing a favorite mug or cup is very personal......as personal as selecting the tea type, milk or no, sugar or no, lemon or no......what else can you do to tea? Oh yeah, ice but that's just plain wrong.

    8:21 AM, March 10, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    Blackberry tea is my new favorite.

    And this has not a thing to do with anything: Pop over to http://mysecondstage.blogspot.com/, which is apgaRN's pad. I mentioned you.

    This is neat, it's a miniscule shadow of your party, sans lampshade.
    /jo

    8:22 AM, March 10, 2007  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    32 variteas. Huh. Do you worry about them going stale? Does tea go stale?

    1:21 PM, March 10, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Ooh, tea and chocolate digestives...a little slice of heaven, that!

    5:26 PM, March 11, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    The only time I like tea is when we go get chai, Pants! COFFEE is where it's at for me :)

    9:10 PM, March 11, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I have to admit to grabbing coffee before tea. But I savor tea. I can only imagine how many 'Best Teacher Ever' mugs you guys have amassed. And I can onl imagine it's true.

    But did you used to drink beer with your pinkie out, Scott?

    But is Mr. T a tea drinker? And would that be cannibalism? I pity the fool who drinks out of my tea mug(s).

    I thought you'd dig the piggies, Duck.

    Someday, Dantares, when I get back over to England. :-)

    I swear, Patches, different cups make tea taste differently. I have my Earl Grey mug, and my Tetley mug, my coffee mug...

    This is a tea party, Jo. *s* Lampshades would be so gauche!

    I keep my teas cool and dark and tightly-sealed. It helps keep them fresh, though of course some do go stale. I save those for people I don't like... ;-)

    Amen, Mona. I looove chocolate digestives.

    Honey, you bleed java. ;-)

    12:45 PM, March 12, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home