Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, March 23, 2007

    Mona's Poetry Challenge -- Step

    Mona's word for today is, STEP.



    With a tremendous nod to Bradbury and Emerson, Lake and Palmer (shut up, Clowncar) I give you:


    Carnivoyeur


    Step right up!

    Step this way!

    You've come to see the show!

    I know

    from the look in your eye

    you'd deny coming for the seven virgins and the mule

    wouldn't you?

    But I've a thing for you.

    Yes! You! You with the

    discriminating eye, hey?

    Step this way!

    For you we have

    a beauty untamed!

    Unnamed! Unframed!

    Just behind the curtain!

    Call her anything you like

    she'll take no notice -- entranced as she is.

    Oh, yes, my friend!

    Engaged! On stage!

    Come--

    Step in, step in, make room

    prepare to swoon

    at the sight of

    one woman,

    one desire

    fulfilled! Spilled!

    Thrilling!

    There --

    she stands, she leans

    forward, reaches out

    and claims

    (your heart? Your dreams?)

    She doesn't even know we're here!

    The air is sweet

    amidst the dust

    as she

    takes it

    in her two hands;

    unshaved, the thick fuzz like fur

    stirs her to part her lips

    and savor...

    not the flavor

    --not yet, not yet--

    but the perfume, the essence.

    Pressing her open mouth

    to the skin

    you can imagine

    how her tongue must be

    flat against the flesh.

    (For a dollar more, I'll let you see.)

    Now quiet! She's about to

    bite!

    And you'll want to hear

    clearly the tear

    of skin under her teeth

    as they sink into the rich flesh.

    Watch the juice sluice

    between her fingers and thumb

    right

    on

    down

    her

    arm.

    Charmed by her harming, aren't we?

    Lifting heavenward that same arm

    to lick the nectar.

    She directs her

    mouth back to the bowl from her bite

    and drinks the juice that pools.

    As you fools

    watch

    upon your stools.


    Step

    right

    UP!



    Labels: , , , ,

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    I literally lol'ed (as the kids say these days) at your "someone get me a ladder" label. Very funny. Nice poem. I certainly wasn't thinking of peaches.

    11:13 AM, March 23, 2007  
    Blogger Lucia wrote in a love letter...

    Excellent. Very ELP.

    12:19 PM, March 23, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Sneaky little devil aren't you?

    2:46 PM, March 23, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    I love the way you pulled me in.....and spit me out. The cadence, the rhythm, such an eloquent balance.

    5:57 PM, March 23, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Did I mention my great aunt was the headliner in the freak show? The other great aunt was the snake lady for awhile.

    7:15 AM, March 24, 2007  
    Blogger Mother of Invention wrote in a love letter...

    Good one! It sure wasn't The Bearded Lady or Dainty Dora, the 800 lb lady!

    12:02 PM, March 24, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    Ooh...I love the dusty passion of this!

    And I think I know that woman....

    3:23 PM, March 24, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    How to eat a peach indeed.
    /jo

    6:47 PM, March 24, 2007  
    Anonymous Meredith wrote in a love letter...

    You sly, wicked, little thing! I love this. It's got this Angela Carter feel to it. Very yummy!

    11:46 PM, March 24, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks, Clowncar. Martens come out, and THEY STAND THERE! ;-)

    Thanks, Lucia!

    Gosh, yup, that's me Maggie. :-)

    Thanks Patches. I wish I could draw something that would go with it, like you do.

    I knew that, Amusing. :-) Can you point me to that post again? It was one of those that I always meant to read when things got quiet, and well, things never get quiet.

    Ah, but it COULD be MOI. On her lunch break. ;-)

    Thanks, Mona. Who could it be? *blink*

    Indeed, Jo. -)

    Thanks, Mer. I LOVE Angela Carter. High praise.

    12:23 PM, March 25, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home