Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, March 18, 2007

    Fever

    I'd be outside right now, but I'd wilt faster than the seedlings I took for a walk a few days ago. I brought them outside with me when I planted more seeds, set them in the shade, said nice things to them and then watched them droop in the space of ten minutes. Even the daffodil went limp. I rushed them all back in, where they perked right back up.


    It's going to be a loooong summer, I can tell.


    I have a fever right now, which I love. Had it for a couple of days now. In spite of that, I took the boyos to the park yesterday, and then out for hot dogs at the hardware store, because every now and then despite my cluelessness, I'm that mom. Besides, I love going to the park in the spring.


    It's the swings, man. There is nothing finer in this world than slicing back and forth through the air like a sheet of paper blown off a desk. You would think that with a fever, the experience would be disconcerting, unpleasant. Not so. I actually stopped feeling dizzy. I felt weightless instead. If there's a heaven, and in the even more unlikelihood that I will be allowed in, I hope heaven's a swing on a green hill in springtime.


    A couple of boys, no more than 12, approached the park. My boyos stopped their play and watched them. As the older boys came closer, I could hear them swearing to each other.

    “Watch it,” I mumbled, in my preternaturally deep voice.

    “Shit! I thought you were a kid!” One replied. Then they both took off running.

    Ah, just one advantage of being under 5 feet tall...

    Labels: , , ,

    17 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Hmm...Spring fever? Sorry. Couldn't resist! Are you working on getting O.'s flu? Is he feeling better? I hope you get over whatever you have really quickly!

    8:10 PM, March 18, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Feel better! and....

    Short gurlies RULE!

    9:07 PM, March 18, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    I am a swing aficionado. I've even had swing fever.

    And as a guy who nearly lives at the hardware store, I know all manners of hardware store hotdogs and can even tel you which vendors play the best background music round here...

    Elevators smell different to short girls, Cheesy.

    12:16 AM, March 19, 2007  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    Heh. Swinging.

    Under 5' tall? The D-Man would seem like a giant in comparison...

    5:46 AM, March 19, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Nothing says spring like swings, and pollen, and swearing. Wait a minute swearing isn't seasonal...

    The Missus used to hang out on the swings to clear all the clutter out of her head when she was in her twenties. Might not be such a bad idea to try that again.

    8:40 AM, March 19, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    I love swings too. I always feel badly when i am at the park and an actual child wants my swing. Sometimes i even let them have it.

    No one ever mistakes me for a child. :)

    12:00 PM, March 19, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    I love swings too. They make me believe I can fly. When I was very young, there was a swing that became my solace. I may write a post about that one day. Hubby told me that when the kids stop using jungle gyms, he's going to build me a swing between the two trees in our yard. Isn't he sweet?

    12:35 PM, March 19, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    swings confirm for me that I could never have become an astronaut....

    2:09 PM, March 19, 2007  
    Blogger Sornie wrote in a love letter...

    Note to self: must buy swing for own personal amusement

    4:39 PM, March 20, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    You sounded a bit like Bradbury there, all that talk of green rolling hills and a swing and a spring day.

    Except for the wolfen voice. *lol*

    5:28 PM, March 20, 2007  
    Blogger Froggie wrote in a love letter...

    Wow. That is short. And very useful under the circumstances. Feel better!

    7:15 PM, March 20, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Getting, got, and had O's flu, Schmoop. Feeling better now, after diving into a couple of good books while fevered. Ugh! The dreams...

    Hell yeah, Cheesy!

    There is NOTHING like a good old fashioned hardware store, with an accompanying hotdog stand, Scott. Love 'em. This one's actualy called The Big Toolbox. WITH an attached nursery...heaven.

    Heh. Yeah. The D-Man IS a giant. Look at him tower!

    The Missus would do herself a world of good on a swing. All the pretty new things she'd envision and create...

    You're a better woman than I am, Meno. No one gets my swing. No one. :-)

    I know what you mean, Maggie. There used to be a swing in my grandparents' back yard, where my cousins and I would spend hours making up games. We flew, we did. Better, I'd swing alone for hours and make up stories. Funny how nothing changes. Your hubby is the SWEETEST! :-)

    Aw, you get seasick on swings, Amusing? That horrible, like being alergic to chocolate or something. That's like cursed.

    Hi Sornie! Yes yes, buy a swing!

    Ir....you're so sweet! *hug*

    Thanks, Froggie! I need to get your link working again!

    10:59 PM, March 20, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, I fly on them anyway. Can't be earthbound all the time. Too dusty.

    6:02 PM, March 21, 2007  
    Anonymous Meredith wrote in a love letter...

    You're one of the few people who understands the luxury of being ill. I think being feverish is like being in an extended state of preintoxication. You know that point before stupidity when you're drinking with friends. Tongues are loosend, everything feels warm and cozy and fat. Also, being feverish gives one an excuse to lounge around under down duvets and generally get none of the practical day to day duties done. Perfect time to go to the park and play!

    7:15 PM, March 21, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Well said Meredith!

    8:17 PM, March 22, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Amen, Amusing. :-)

    Exactly, Meredith. I love the fuzzy reality it puts me in, there's no associated pain, and no hangover. It's a freebee. Also a great state for writing.

    I take it you like fevers too, Rudi?

    8:44 PM, March 22, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Like fevers? Don't know. I don't get sick usually.

    But I know that "point before stupidity" that "feels warm and cozy and fat". It also buzzes some. No pun intended there. This is the literal
    definition of a buzz. That slight huming that acts as white noise to mask the backgroung and allow you to "concentrate" (or atleast think you are).

    5:34 PM, March 23, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home