Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, March 13, 2007

    Drunk and in Charge of a Blog

    Well, not quite drunk, but definitely inebriated. A little. At 4:04 P.M. (the Lost Minute. The File Not Found Minute.). On hard cider. A perfect beverage for a warm day when cleaning one's kitchen.


    I have to wander out and retrieve my boyos in a few, but for now, I can cozy up to you for another lost minute. They are over at S.'s house, playing with their friend, A., the tickle-him-til-he-pukes-kid. Luckily, they are within stumbling walking distance.


    I like S. I wish I could be friends with S. I mean, do-stuff-together-friends. But she is from California, and I've found that Californians have this sunny shell that makes Brits look like tell-alls. I can't get in. There are things we have in common. There are things our husbands have in common. It should work. It should. But it...doesn't.


    I mean, she's nice. She's sweet like milk chocolate. I'm sweet too. But I'm sweet like ancho pepper dark chocolate that's been tampered with.


    And I have to figure out a way to tell her that I'm not sending the boyos on to Greenwood Elementary, the Limo School. Why does this have to be difficult? It's nothing personal. Why does this bother me?


    I think I'm losing it.



    Does anybody else have a person/people that you'd like to befriend, but just, can't?

    Labels: , , , , ,

    25 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Lucia wrote in a love letter...

    I knew this would be a wonderful post when I stumbled on your "Drunk and in Charge of a Blog" title. I wouldn't mind me a little inebriated and in charge of a blog myself at the moment.

    5:23 PM, March 13, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Hell, I don't blog because, in part, I'm worried about what I'll say sober.
    That and who me? Talk about my feelings? Why?

    I never thought of my self as an uptight Eastener but that just may be the case.

    Not a Yankee though.

    >At 4:04 P.M. (the Lost Minute. The File Not Found Minute.).

    Web Geek.

    6:12 PM, March 13, 2007  
    Blogger patches wrote in a love letter...

    Nancy, nobody mentioned that I should be sober while operating a keyboard. i thought that only applied to bulldozers and stuff.

    Wait until she asks, then tell her. Never volunteer a damn thing.

    6:30 PM, March 13, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Yeah, lots of people like that. We joined Newcomers when we moved here and it's loaded with people like that. Resist the Limo school as well as you can.

    8:42 PM, March 13, 2007  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    Befriend, no. Shag, yes.

    :D

    3:17 AM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    So what's stopping you, Lucia? :-)

    I used to have that view, Rudi. Only I was an uptight, transplanted Midwesterner. Then I got tricked into starting this blog. Yup. Web Geek. Guilty. :-)

    Catnip. It's not just for breakfast anymore. ;-) I don't know. You can bulldoze your life with one of these things.

    Oh lord. A room full of people who are hiding their personalities behind politeness and nice. Ugh! Newcomers sounds like Hell. I've put in the paperwork to keep the boyos at their current school. I don't see why they won't. Yay!

    Heh, D-Man. :-)

    8:27 AM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Have you asked her to do anything with you? You know, like taking the kids to a park or something. If you have, and it's still a no-go, then so be it.

    Sometimes people need to be asked. Sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes they are just uninterested. But uninterested in YOU? That is odd.

    12:31 PM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    We've done things with the kids. Gone to the park, restaurants, yada yada. But the conversation never gets much beyond chit chat. Then after a while my brain clogs up.
    There's more there. I know there is. I've seen glimpses. But we just can't get there. Maybe I need to get her drunk. Geez, I sound like perv.

    1:36 PM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Well your parties have been known to get people to open up. At least the blog party did...I'm just guessing but I bet your live parties do too!

    7:12 PM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Heh. Pants, you are a perv ;) That's why we "gay-men-inside-a-woman's-body" get along so well.

    There have been many moms whom I've met that fall into S.'s category. You will meet many more. Just because your children get along with her's, doesn't necessarily mean you will feel like "letting her in." She is very nice and you may, in the future, crack the sunny exterior. For now you can just play along and blog with "your people!"

    8:32 PM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Mmm...hard cider. Mmm...

    8:34 PM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    Okay, here's a test for S. Go get one of those gargantuan novelty dildos- the three footer, and when she's next over bring it into view, regard it with a subtle expression of quandary and then sniff it while mumbling "has this been washed since the last time?" and study her reaction.

    10:05 PM, March 14, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Being a "Californian" does not an uptight housewife make...

    California is the state with the most fruits and nuts and we all get along reasonably well.

    It's because we have the best wine.

    12:22 AM, March 15, 2007  
    Blogger Mona Buonanotte wrote in a love letter...

    For some reason, my Boy-child's good friends have moms that are, well, hard to crack. Maybe they're shy, or maybe I'm shy around them, but we can never get past the mundane chit-chat. I've toyed with the idea of just talkingtalkingtalking when they're around to see if I suddenly stumble upon some topic we can talk about endlessly. It makes me exhausted just thinking about it.

    5:41 AM, March 15, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    Now Stucco, be nice ... just let Nancy borrow YOUR gargantuan novelty 3 foot tall dildo.

    Also comes in handy (no puns please) when you want to scare off some jehovah's witnesses.

    9:50 AM, March 15, 2007  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    I sometimes think it's BECAUSE we know each other through the kids.

    I would like to befriend everyone, but then as soon as I meet them, I lose interest. I'm smart, quirky and creative and enjoy having friends who are the same. I haven't come by that since moving to this state.

    So instead of ignoring everyone by default, I've listened to Therapist, who counsels that I need community and acquaintances, even if I have no plans to make them into best friends.

    So let S. fall into that part of the Ven diagram of your world. Pleasant to sip tea with, but no one you'd write blog adventures about.

    10:47 AM, March 15, 2007  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    No rudi- sorry. I feel naked without it...

    2:01 PM, March 15, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    You're right Maggie. I need to throw a party again. A real life one. I haven't since the boyos were born. No, I take that back. I threw one for Clowncar and Lil Hux when they became parents. Anyway, yeah, maybe a party...

    Thanks, Schmoop! *snort* Takes one to know one, and I'm glad I know one... ;-)

    Yeah, Stucco, give over and let me borrow yours. What's a dildo between friends?

    You're not a Californian, Scott, you're a man of the world. :-) It's just something I've noticed about every woman I've met from California; they are hard to get to know. It's not a bad thing, it's just strange to me.

    Isn't it hard, Mona? To keep talking talking, and hoping to strike coversational gold. I'm more of a listener. Maybe I come off as cold sometimes...

    Hee hee hee...scared off ny Jehovah's witnesses lately, Rudi? ;-) I love that idea!

    That could be, Amusing. There's that common ground and it's difficult to get past it. People act differently with their kids around, obviously. What is a Ven diagram?

    5:46 PM, March 15, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Stucco- get back here... Sorry Pants! He's getting really hard to keep in line lately! Once a perv always a perv :)

    Stucco says, "What's a dido between friends? IT"S HOT!"

    See? Totally out of control.

    9:36 PM, March 15, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    If I am anything, it is a Californian. I even like Arnold nowadays...

    California women are easy to know. Ply them with wine. It's what I do...

    12:43 AM, March 16, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Totally out of control, but within normal parameters.

    Ah! So I was onto something with the wine after all.

    9:06 AM, March 16, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    Speaking of wine...get her drunk?

    Often makes fast friends. Scott has something else in mind, of course, but this is also true if you don't happen to be in a lesbian state of mind.

    ?
    /jo

    9:01 AM, March 17, 2007  
    Blogger Cheesy wrote in a love letter...

    Actually the wine idea is a gooder! Loosens my lips... but thats a different story lol... pervs... UNITE!

    9:27 PM, March 18, 2007  
    Anonymous Meredith wrote in a love letter...

    Hmmm, person or people I'd like to befriend but can't... ha! Just about everyone! I'm prickly that way. Or my expectations are too high. From a distance, hanging out with women friends seems sweet but up close I pick up on the venom and cattiness and I just can't be bothered dodging the barbs and keeping mine in check. But you sweety, "ancho pepper dark chocolate that's been tampered with"... we'd get along famously!

    7:10 PM, March 21, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I think we just might, Meredith. :-)

    8:41 PM, March 22, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home