Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, January 06, 2007

    It's Your Favorite Foreign Movie

    We all have our lucky socks or winning rituals that get us through a challenge.


    Mine's Steely Dan. Nothing bad can happen while Steely Dan is playing.

    Don't ask me how I came to this. I don't know. I like the music. It puts me at ease.


    So, if you happen to be awake between 7:30 and 9:30 am Mountain time, Monday the 8th, (That's actually like, 1:58 pm on Saturday the 23rd in New Zealand) I'd appreciate it if you'd throw on a little Kid Charlemagne, or Rikki Don't Lose That Number, or The Royal Scam. If you're so inclined, of course.


    What is your lucky charm? And why?

    17 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Is there gas in the caaar?
    Yes, there's gas in the caaaaar!

    I'll be playing SD for you, and "Tony Chestnut Knows I Love You" for KK, who is having her tonsils out the very next day! Just think, in a few years she'll be taller than you!

    Our thoughts are with you. And BTW, You should let the Frango cat out of the bag post-operation, after accruing maximum sympathy points.

    1:37 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger KelKel wrote in a love letter...

    Best thoughts and prayers coming to you.
    Love to you--Kel Kel

    1:59 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    ...

    ...

    Will I have to listen to Steely Dan in the car? If so, will you share your painkillers with me?

    5:11 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Here is all you need to do. When they are gassing you, grab the mask off your face just as you start to feel giddy but before you go under...

    Look up at everybody with a huge smile and glassy eyes.

    Don't worry if your face looks distorted and flat to them while you are laying there. They are used to that in patients. Just look up at all the attending people in the room, and in your best party girl voice, yell-- WOOHOOHOO!!

    You will make everybody caring for you extra vigilant (how could they NOT find that adorable?) and you will call to you the PDL that has served me incredibly well for over twenty years.

    Not Woohoo! mind you. That doesn't work. Woohoohoo!

    Practice it some tonight while you are baking cookies...

    When it is all said and done, nothing beats a good dose of PDL in a pinch.

    Brought to you by a good Woohoohoo!

    5:13 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I am prepared to listen to Steely Dan - whenever and wherever. Enjoy.
    My lucky charm...changes. But it's a single song, with usually a heavy beat. Something to robotise in my memory - know off by heart asnd begin to hate. But Know so instintively that the next beat, the next drum roll, the next chord - is all too certain to ever be a problem.
    Dantares.

    5:49 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    I saw Steely Dan in concert the only time they toured. They opened for Bread. How's that for just plain wrong?

    I'll be thinking about you.

    Ricky don't lose that number.

    7:56 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    The mom has landed, and is reading bedtime stories to the boyos. No Frango disaster yet. Or as DMG put it, I'm not 'Frango'ed' yet.

    Get aloooong, get along Kid Charlemagne! Poor KK! I'll be thinking about her, as much as I can think. Do they still prescribe ice cream after the tonsils are out?
    And ha ha, very funny. You know perfectly well she's already taller than me!

    Aw, thanks Kelkel! *hug*

    That's why O gave me an iriver, so's I can listen to Steely Dan without inflicting it on him, or in this case you, Jo.
    Course I'll be singing it at the top of my lungs. On the way home I'll be Frango'ed up enough to sing in a pirate voice! Arrrrrrr ya reeling in the years, (matey)?

    WOOHOOHOO! Now _that_ would be fun! I think I'll do it, like I'm plunging from the top of a roller coaster.

    Ah, another man with taste, Dantares. :-) What have some of your lucky songs been?

    'I found your diary underneath a tree, and started reading about meeee(no)...' ;-)
    They OPENED for Bread? lol! I saw Steely Dan a few years ago at Fiddler's Green here in Denver. They were awsome! (Went with my dad, of course).

    10:09 PM, January 06, 2007  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I don't have any lucky charms but I'll play every Steely Dan I have through my iPod Monday while you're in surgery and I'm working out. See you when yourre back, Girl. Love you lots.

    10:48 AM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    *singing with more enthusiasm than skill*

    They got a name for the winners in the world/I want a name when I lose/they call Alabama 'The Crimson Tide'/call me 'Deacon Blues'

    Be srong, lady.

    1:45 PM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    How _does_ Steely Dan affect a yoga workout, Bud? Thanks, dear. *hug*

    I will, Ir. Thank you. *hug*

    4:54 PM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Lucia wrote in a love letter...

    People have lucky charms? Maybe I ought to get one...

    6:02 PM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    I always say a few Hail Marys'. Even though I do not go to church anymore, I still savor a few rituals that have never failed me. I also try to remember a few Bhuddist teachings I have learned about letting go. We cannot always control the outcome. " The universe unfolds as it should." You will be fine, as you have chosen the most careful, competent doctor in Denver (as chosen by his peers!) (Not to mention the dreamiest!) *sigh*

    Love to you from me :)

    9:07 PM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, I forgot. I will play "Hey Nineteen" for you in the morning. I am not a big Steely Dan fan, but I have that song on my iPod, and will play it in your honor.

    9:10 PM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Lucia, your LIFE is a lucky charm. ;-) Take care.

    I read a good Zen teaching tonight, Schmoop. 'You cannot avoid pain, but you can avoid suffering.' I like it. It gets me into my head and on through that doorway to a green place with a little cottage and a giant garden. Thanks for playing Steely Dan.

    I love all you guys. Thank you.

    9:51 PM, January 07, 2007  
    Blogger Nicci wrote in a love letter...

    weird, I don't have a luck charm or ritual.

    strange.

    6:03 AM, January 08, 2007  
    Anonymous Rudi wrote in a love letter...

    I wish you 35 sweet goodbyes and
    70 sweet welcome homes. Sometimes
    I need to listen to "My Old School"
    cranked on my good headphones. Makes
    me happy, makes me a dancing fool
    (whilest in my desk chair).

    It's 9:55 EST (7:55 MST) and Kid Charlemagne is playing.

    My luck charm: "Rudie Can't Fail"
    by The Clash.

    Be well.

    7:57 AM, January 08, 2007  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Well for hospitals and surgeries, I have a little stuffed bear wearing a surgeon's scrubs. He is Dr. Bear. I've had him since I was young and he's accompanied me to every surgery - there have been many. When my twins were born a month early, we put him in their incubators for good luck. He works every time. I'll get him out and give him hugs to send your way!

    8:54 AM, January 08, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home