Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, December 05, 2006

    Here Comes That Career Thing Again

    I hate that old cliché, but I need to learn that whenever I let go of something, that's when it comes back.


    Got a call last night from printshop owner C., asking if I was free between Christmas and New Year's. I'd given up on getting any substantial work out of C., since he'd absorbed yet another printshop, and had more or less taken on the graphic designer there as Freelancer #1.


    Buuuut, it looks like he needs a warm body in the shop over the holidays, and he's willing to cover my daycare costs.


    To which I say, Woot!


    Now, to avoid getting 'used' by his main salesman, who seems to think I'm only fit for running copies. It's like using a blowtorch to light a birthday cake.


    Not that I'm above running copies, but I get screwed out of my time, and as we all know, time is money. I charge by the job, and it is nearly impossible to keep track of how much time I waste setting up a copy job while I've got three other (real) projects going at the same time. Perhaps I shall have to charge by the hour this time and see what happens.


    Thanks, all, for your comments on my story things. I think I will go ahead and write the whole 'Avocados, Artichokes,' story, since it seems to have gotten people's attention. I'm going to send a couple of you an essay to read, based on Kay and Blue-Eyed Bike-Angels. I'm sending that puppy off to The Sun in January, but, I'd like to get some final feedback (as usual). Anybody else want to play, shoot me your email at nancy_dancehall at yahoo.


    (And for you folks already playing along at home reading JALL, I'm still chiseling away. Just cutting through some angsty scenes. After this the action picks up again with the return of the Hounds for one of those 'final showdown' thingys. And then...heh...some of you aren't going to like me very much...)

    9 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Yeah, send me stuff to read but give me a deadline, sweetie!

    1:05 PM, December 05, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Woot woot to the work.

    2:29 PM, December 05, 2006  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Always charge by the hour as a freelancer or consultant, that way you won't care as much WHAT they have you doing, you are still getting paid the same.
    Just a suggestion from my own experience.

    6:28 PM, December 05, 2006  
    Blogger D_Man wrote in a love letter...

    I charge by the hour.

    And I don't know about birthday cakes, but I once used a home-made blow torch ti set flying cockroaches on fire. This is not a good idea, if the nearby tent that their flaming carcasses settle on happens to be yours...

    1:35 AM, December 06, 2006  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Time is money. I think Meno is right - charge by the hour. Congrats on the work!

    7:02 AM, December 06, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    You got it, Bud. Deadline is Jan 31st. Thanks, darlin'.

    Thanks, Lucia! And thanks for the photo of Jesus on the Half-Shell. *s*

    Yeesss...Methinks I'll be charging by the hour. Thanks, M&M (hee).

    Flying cockroaches, D-Man? *shudder* Well, I guess it beats flying sharks. Know what's really cool? Using a lighter to turn your mouth into a blowtorch.

    11:16 AM, December 06, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Sara and Pen deserve to live "happily ever after." That is all I'm gonna say. :)

    11:23 AM, December 06, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    hee heee heee....

    12:22 PM, December 06, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Holy cow, by the hour, yes. I woulda never made $ consulting if I hadn't.

    Yay to more writing.
    /jo

    4:22 AM, December 07, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home