Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, December 20, 2006

    Blizzard

    A photo for Daffa. I hope her fiance made it to Australia before this storm.




    I went out for an emergency run to the store this morning. Ice wasn't a factor, but the snow on the roads was. It was like cross-country skiing for your car.


    Outside the wind is howling, the flights are all canceled, visibility is down to nil, O's home, I have a mason jar of homemade hot chocolate mix, a chicken for soup, and a roaring fire in the fireplace.


    This is going a long way to chase away the black edges that have surrounded my days for a week now. Christmas is looking bleak this year.

    So. I am declaring today Christmas. And Winter Solstice.* Forget the traditions, forget the laws of nature. I can overcome them all with the sheer force of my desire!

    But I can't seem to talk O into opening presents today.




    They've just announced two feet of snow on the way. On the radio Bono sings, “The snow's coming down...”




    Music: Sarah MacLaughlin's version of Joni Mitchell's River.


    *The Christians and the Pagans will just have to deal. Maybe it'll give them something to agree on.

    16 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    But do you have roasting cockles?

    1:32 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Just the ones in my heart...

    2:00 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    P.S. That first photo was taken around noon.

    2:01 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Gotta love the blizzard, Pants! Nothing like it to cheer even the grouchiest grinch! It is raining here today and I went to Trader Joe's for the first time today and purchased a bottle of French red and a very fragrant wreath of pine for a centerpiece. I feel less grinchy as well!

    4:06 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    Gorgeous. I love open fires. In fact one scout camp I loved open fires a bit too much, but, lol, I am okay around them when they are in a chimneyplace.
    As long as I have chestnuts.
    Dantares.

    4:14 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Snow? What the heck is snow?

    Happy Winter, Dancy!

    4:38 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Almost forgot! *hitting you with a snowball* TAG!

    6:11 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    and...mason jar of homemade hot chocolate mix? do tell. I see future xmas gifts of hot chocolate....genius! THat and reindeer food.

    7:24 PM, December 20, 2006  
    Anonymous d-man wrote in a love letter...

    Snow?! In summer time? Crazy talk.

    1:04 AM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    Drink nog and be joyful.
    /jo

    I cackled with joy at the snow drifts over my walkway, even though I did have to work tonight. I think it's wonderful.

    3:10 AM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Oh chicken soup sounds so good right now.

    Have great Holidays whenever you decide to take them. And those Christians and Pagans will survive I'm sure.

    6:54 AM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    We HAVE to hit Trader Joe's when I get there, Schmoop!

    Ah, a fellow firebug. Bring on the chestnuts, Dantares.

    Snow is the stuff that would kill you instantly, Bayou Boy. ;-) Eeee! I've been tagged!

    Jack made the cocoa mix at school, Amusing, and it is delicious, and a great gift. Alternate layers of cocoa with sugar and powdered creamer. Top with marshmallows. Put a square of fabric between the lid and the seal ring. There's my (stolen) Christmas Gift of the Day Idea! :-)

    Christmas in summertime, D-Man? Crazy talk!

    Snow snow snow! Jo jo jo! Ho ho ho!

    There's a great Dar Williams song called The Christians and The Pagans (Ooooohhhwaaahh) that I stole the idea from, Maggie. Now to steal some proper sentence structure!

    9:20 AM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Who is Chet? And why do you want to roast his nuts?

    Sorry, i couldn't help myslef.

    It looks lovely. Stay safe and warm and maybe make some snow angels.

    9:35 AM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Misfit Duck wrote in a love letter...

    I was wondering about you when I heard that colorado got dumped on.

    Glad to see you are alright.

    Enjoy the white xmas because here in southern SWEDEN it will be green and wet.

    11:44 AM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    I love a good snow storm. We haven't one around here for awhile, now. We did have thundersnow last month, though. That always seems a little like the end of the world. . .

    1:02 PM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I love thundersnowstorms. And you're right. They are a bit like Ragnarok.

    5:59 PM, December 21, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home