Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, December 21, 2006

    Blizzard, Continued




    Same view, today. That's a four and a half foot snowdrift in the front.

    Everything is closed. The snow is still falling. The wind has stopped, which makes driving safer, (for any fool who'd attempt it) but the still falling snow endangers trees, wires and houses. I think we'll be ok though. Not like '03 when the beam cracked in the old house and a line of ceiling plaster crumbled and fell.


    Squirrels, O said, Squirrels, as I pulled him from the office, which I was sure was gong to cave in. But didn't.

    Here's a cool one. This snow overhang is about two feet wide (that's about, um, about 8 kilometers for the metric folk).


    This morning I made cinnamon ginger blueberry pancakes. And Jack scared the hell out of us by falling off a stool. Poor kid's asleep in my lap, his chin swollen.

    I've declared today Easter.


    Yup. Snowed in, in Colorado. Best time to work on a novel. Where was I? Ah yes,

    “All work and no play makes Dancehall a Nancy boy.” “All work and no play makes Dancehall a Nancy boy.” “All work and no play makes Dancehall a Nancy boy.”


    Oh, and this made me laugh.




    Addendum: A Mememememe!!! From Irrelephant

    1. Three things that scare me:
    - Oblivion
    - Suffocation (of any sort)
    - Zombies (Of the brain-eating or fanatical variety)

    2. Three people who make me laugh:
    - Rowan Atkinson
    - Emo Phillips
    - O

    3. Three things I love:
    - My people
    - Quantum Mechanics
    - Rain

    4. Three things I hate:
    - Mustard and onions
    - Being made to feel incompetent
    - Drama Queens

    5. Three things I don't understand:
    - Life
    - Universe
    - Everything

    6. Three things on my desk (Desk? What's a desk?)
    - A Hula Dancer
    - A box of pecans, coffee and cotton
    - A Poppet

    7. Three things I'm doing right now:
    - Building up the fire
    - Marveling at how relaxing and emotionally healing a blizzard can be
    - Watching the sky turn blue in time for the sunset

    8. Three things I want to do before I die:
    - Publish a book
    - Come to terms with oblivion, preferably to stop believing in it.
    - teach my granddaughter how to quilt

    9. Three things I can do:
    - See music
    - Refute Aristotle's argument against the void
    - anything perfectly, once (beginner's luck)

    10. Three things I can't do:
    - Reach stuff in my kitchen without climbing on the counters
    - play the violin
    - refute a temporal vacuum

    11. Three things you should listen to:
    - the ones you love
    - live music
    - nature

    12. Three things you should never listen to:
    - stupid people, unless you want to laugh, or you're taking notes
    - your television
    - me

    13. Three things I'd like to learn:
    - Life
    - The Universe
    - Everything

    14. Three favorite foods:
    - dark chocolate anything
    - Good Italian anything
    - Homemade soup and bread

    15. Three beverages I drink regularly:
    - Tea
    - Chai
    - Coffee

    16. Three shows I watched as a kid
    - The Addams Family
    - The Adventures of Electro Woman and DynaGirl
    - Anything done by Rankin-Bass

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Brrrr.
    That's fretting weather to me. Will the roof hold? What if the power goes out and the pipes freeze? How will I ever shovel out the driveway? What do I do if the roof doesn't hold? What do I do if the pipes freeze?

    I guess I'd be a bad pioneer. What if the horse dies? What if there are germs in the food? What if I get sick? How do I take a bath?

    You obviously take a shine to it.

    5:42 PM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    Looks like fun--

    Did you know I was born in Aurora?

    I bet there is snow where I was born. I mean exactly where...

    8:25 PM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger Andy wrote in a love letter...

    Did someone say Emo Phillips? I thought I was the only one! I loooove to shop in Downtown Downer's Grove. Especially the Taco & Artificial Organ Stand (ask for the bladder -- to go, of course).

    Oh, and it snowed a bit here, as well, so I can sympathize. ;) Stay warm!

    9:30 PM, December 21, 2006  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    I realize that it's a pain, but good lord it's pretty.

    Stay safe please.

    7:19 AM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Amusing, I just take a shine to the constant fire in the fireplace, and the constant presence of another adult to talk to, and the boyos in good moods, and... I would have made a terrible pioneer as well. 'Rain! Where is the RAIN!? We're all gonna die if it doesn't rain...'

    It IS fun, Scott! I did NOT know you were born in Aurora. Snow in the EXACT spot? You were born in a field, perhaps?

    Emo Emo Emo! My mother told me I should wear my grandfather's best suit for this. So I got out a shovel...
    Are you guys snowed-in too? :-)

    It IS pretty, Meno. I think we'll be ok. The sun's out today, so a good bit of it will melt. Thanks for thinking about us!

    8:39 AM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    "shine" = "all work and no play"....get it? Yeah, I'm dorky. Tell me something I don't already know.

    7:58 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Dorky? Eh, join the club. :-)

    7:59 AM, December 23, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I was thinking fire=shine. Put me in the slow club.

    7:59 AM, December 23, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home