Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, December 22, 2006

    And Finally






    The snow stopped. The last clouds have passed and the sky is brilliant and blue. The drifts are already starting to melt, packing down under their own watery blue weight.

    It was nice, this blizzard, this respite from the holidays. A shame when you need a break from Christmas, and it hasn't even arrived yet. What the hell has gone wrong?

    I sat by the fire almost non-stop, getting up only to cook, do a little laundry, put the boyos to bed. I read The Chronicles of Narnia for the first time. I read Winnie the Pooh to the boyos. I talked to O. I watched the wood burn. I warmed up. And somewhere in there, my brittle mood melted into buttery toffee.


    O has left for work, hitching a ride from a generous neighbor with a truck. Most of the roads have been plowed, but our neighborhood is hilly. Trying to get out is like a fly trying to escape a pitcher plant. There. O just called. The roads are still bad but passable with care.


    19 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    What the hell did O go to work for?

    10:19 AM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Haven't you been reading? He was climbing the walls. He's been stuck in the house with ME for two days. Wouldn't YOU go to work? lol!

    He also needs to send off some orders. He's dedicated, that one.

    10:38 AM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    I'd love to be stuck in the house with you Pants! Reading by the fire, baking, recapturing the spirit of Christmas. Sounds wonderful to me!

    11:30 AM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Maggie wrote in a love letter...

    Buttery toffee Christmas mood sounds all warm and cozy. And the fire too. Sometimes I wish we had a fireplace. Oh well, I'll just snuggle up to my husband instead. Merry Christmas Nancy Dancehall!

    12:08 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Hee! Thanks, Schmoop. I'd tell you stories. :-)
    Oh, but popcorn would be involved. Is that ok? ;-)

    Merry Christmas to you, Maggie! A warm, loving husband beats a fire any day. :-)

    2:06 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Cold and wet, here. Ick. Trade? Seriously. I love the slow motion natural disaster feel of a snow storm. Granted, the person I'd like to cuddle with is a little ways away. . .

    3:49 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    NO POPCORN! No, Please! Not the popcorn :( Did I mention I HATE popcorn?

    Heh.

    5:31 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Where's "Kay" in the blizzard?

    8:02 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    Stucco - I went to work because I needed to ship orders. And for $210.11 (wahoo!). I also found out that my landlord plows the sidewalk when the snow is really deep (which it was). Bonus.

    Amusing - I don't know where K is. I am assuming that she will have an easier time getting into a shelter under these conditions (ie, not an alcoholic or drug user) and I hope that she is in a shelter. Apparently my new shop is out of her panhandling area - haven't seen her since the last big packing/moving day. On the other hand, we had 2 cop cars, a fire engine and an ambulance across the street to take one of the homeless guys off to Denver General tonight. A group of them sat by the abandoned Sinclair station all day (their usual hangout), with a couple helping to dig out stuck cars. Apparently the one who went to the hospital had had enough to drink that he had a seizure. Sad. I guess I'll skip buying a case of beer for them, even though they are unlikely to change since I am taking a pass on that.
    O

    11:41 PM, December 22, 2006  
    Blogger JustCallMeJo wrote in a love letter...

    Love the picture, NancyPants. Beautiful blues and whites.

    Sounds lovely. I don't have a fireplace, or a hubby. But it's lovely here, anyway.
    /jo

    3:32 AM, December 23, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Utterly gorgeous. I guess I can say that since the last time it snowed here was the Millennium Eve, and we got an astounding inch or so, just around midnight. I can't imagine enough of ANYTHING to make someone have to struggle to get to work, not even water. Or alligators.

    Maybe armadillos. A plague of armadillos might slow a car enough...nah.

    7:39 AM, December 23, 2006  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    O-- was Sam one of them?

    Merry Christmas all!

    11:37 AM, December 23, 2006  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Those are beautiful pix, ND. My fave is your Christmas hearth, from a few posts back, though. I clicked on it to get the detail and was wowed at the care you invest in the ornaments and such. We kinda fly by the seats of our pants down here.

    We got about 3 inches here (less than a 2 hour drive away) and it has all long since melted away. I'm bummed.

    Presents are all wrapped, cards are all out, and I've got white chili on the stove for Christmas Eve. Smells yummy. Though I'm sure whatever you've got cooking puts it to shame.

    Merry Christmas to all you guys.

    5:33 PM, December 23, 2006  
    Blogger Me wrote in a love letter...

    ooo, that's pretty but I can feel the cold. That's the kind of weather I moved away from Ontario to escape. Have a Merry Christmas curled up in front of the fire. Eggnog anyone?

    7:58 PM, December 23, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Yeah, I'd trade, Popeye. Rain is my first love.
    And you'll be cuddling next month. How 'bout I send you a blizzard then? After she's safely landed, of course.

    Tis purty, Jo. I just wish D would let me dress him warmly so we could have a snowball fight.

    Ha! I can just see a plague of armadillos blocking the street, looking like hedgehogs in tanks.

    Merry Christmas Scott! No one's trying to find Mimi, so I guess Sam isn't one of them. *sigh*

    Thanks, Clowncar! We put up the garland with all the breakables, and then set up the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve with plastic ornaments. I think we'll be keeping this tradition. And NOTHING I make compares to your white chili. Throw 'It's a WOnderful Life' on the tv and I'll be down there in an hour! ;-) Merry Christmas to you, Lil'P and the girlios!

    Eggnog Martini, Me? There's plenty of room by the fire. Merry Christmas!

    9:21 AM, December 24, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Hey there, Snow Girl--you want rain, come down here to LA, we're right in the middle of a beautiful Christmas drizzle. Aaah, the water everywhere, huge drifts of water, dripping from the eves and...well, you get the picture.

    Merry Winter Solstice! *huge hugs*

    10:17 AM, December 24, 2006  
    Blogger KelKel wrote in a love letter...

    And a Merry Christmas to You and Yours!!!
    Kel Kel

    3:01 PM, December 24, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    Happy Holidays!!!!

    Hope you're having a rip-roaring good time!! Kids bring the fun back to Christmas, don't they? :)

    11:47 AM, December 25, 2006  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    Happy Xmas to you and O, Miss Pants. You are missed. If you were here, you'd be mist- heh. Hope the day is spankingly delightful.

    1:23 PM, December 25, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home