Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Monday, November 27, 2006

    Writers and Crazy People




    Marvin Hill -- The Fisher King


    If you've ever read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, you'll remember a small but crucial difference between the movie and the book, concerning The Emerald City.

    In the book, Dorothy and Company were given green-tinted glasses before they were admitted to the City. Once inside, they marveled that the buildings, the people, the animals, everything was emerald.

    At this point, even the youngest child reading the book was in on the secret of the Wizard's power.


    Being a fiction writer is like going into the Emerald City with those green glasses on. Everything you look at is filtered through the lens of your work, turning it all the color of your choice. So you report back that yes, indeed, everything looks green in this place. It all makes sense.


    Crazy people wear these glasses too. And everything they see is colored as well.


    The difference between a crazy person and a writer is that the writer knows he's wearing the colored lenses; the writer is in on the gag with the wizard.


    Well, usually.


    Anyway. I'll have a silly little story for you tomorrow.

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Lucky Star wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, god yes--the difference between crazy and creative is often undetectable.

    ...I wouldn't know...

    9:54 AM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I love that analogy and I cant wait for the story.

    3:16 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Nope, Lisa, I'm sure you have no idea... ;-)

    Thanks, Bud!

    7:27 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I didn't realize they wore glasses!

    Now why didn't I think of that?

    Ever hear Arlo Githrie's take on writing songs?

    It is like fishing. You put your line in the water and you wait. Sometimes a fish jumps on and you got a song. (And in regard to "The Pickle Song", I just want to know "Why me Lord, and why this song?"

    So when are are fishing for songs, the trick is to be upstream from Bob Dylan.

    9:50 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    11:04 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Why didn't you think of that? I don't know. You thought of everything else in "Sam's Day Off." Congratulations on the award! Good luck getting that baby published. :-)

    Songwriting? I seem to be downstream from Bob Merrill.

    11:05 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Very, very, very thin line. . .

    4:40 AM, November 28, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thin as a contact lens.

    9:39 AM, November 28, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    published? Ha! Ha! Ha! and so on and so forth...

    12:38 AM, November 29, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I'm serious!

    10:32 AM, November 29, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home