Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, November 26, 2006

    Why I Love My Dad

    The latest email from my dad:

    I listened to an interview with Tom Waits, very
    interesting and funny. Go towww.npr.org , program :
    All Things Considered" , Tuesday's show. On his
    new threeCD anthology, he said the Disney Co.
    threatened to sue him over "Heigh Ho" from
    :Snow White, they claimed he changed the lyrics,
    but he did not. As he says,"It took the skip
    out of their step". I downloaded the song, and
    as Tom is the world's worst singer, it sounds
    like a nightmare in a slave mine.
    Diamond Dave

    He attached the song (fallen off a Russian server, like most of his mp3s) in his email. And as much as I love Tom Waits, D.D. is dead-on with this one.* ^


    But I laughed through the whole thing, as did my dad. He's picky about his singers, (though he likes The Pogues; go figure) but he appreciates a good joke.


    And he still doesn't believe me when I tell him he's the coolest dad ever. I mean, did YOUR dad take you to see Blondie when you were ten? Did he take you to see the Van Halen 1984 tour? And sing along? Did he say 'go for it' when you told him you wanted to grow up to be a back-up slut singer for Sting?

    I didn't think so.

    And that's just starters.


    * I had Tom's “Heigh Ho” playing on my laptop while typing this, and O requested loudly and repeatedly that I turn it off, because, “it's like listening to pain.”


    ^ I've since played it half a dozen times. With its goofy horns and Tom's hellish voice, and the 'clang clang clang' warning bell from a train crossing, it's really growing on me.




    19 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    "like a nightmare in a slave mine."

    Oh, I'm taking that one.

    12:45 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Lucky Star wrote in a love letter...

    Uh...HELL NO. My Dad is from a whole 'nother generation...and he's a conservative lobsterman to boot. And a country fan. Bleh. So, I'm glad to know that my kids have a chance of turning out as cool as you--because I'm that kind of Mom!! :)

    Also, I just read your sunset post from Wednesday...glorious! Not surprisingly, I had a similar spiritual encounter just over St. Louis on Friday and wrote about it.

    I am heart broken for you; losing friends like that...oh, oh. It is wretched. But yes...gaining a vacation spot--it's a good little silver lining...even if it's just silver paint at this point.

    12:57 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Esreth can have that one. I'm ripping off "It's like listening to pain."

    4:04 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Yeah, what he said. "It's like listening to pain" is the funniest thing I've head in quite a while. And I'm a Waits fan! So much so that I actually own the album Heigh Ho is on (it also has the Replacements doing Cruella De Ville and Los Lobos doing a song from the Jungle Book). Great album.

    5:08 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    He's got a million of 'em, Es. My dad's a frustrated writer. It runs in the family.

    Your kids are gonna rule, Lisa. Get them to Pearl Jam, they'll be juuuust fine. I need to mosey over and read about your spiritual experience. And while flying, too. Love those. Silver paint -- love that too. And it'll have to do for now.

    O's particularly proud of that one, Popeye. He may have to fight you for it. ;-) (He's hoping it enters the vernacular, and he maintains credit. I think he should demand royalties.)

    Oh man, Los Lobos...which Jungle Book song?! You're holding out on me!

    6:15 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I won't be listening to that because I'm afraid I'd hear myself in there someplace and never sing again.

    I was once forced to stand up against the stage at a Sting concert right below the "back-up slut singers." I got Sting's sweat on me a lot. Or maybe that was my own sweat, as I was looking directly up their skirts for a couple of hours. That wasn't you, huh?

    Hey I posted the song(s).

    7:01 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Must..control...inappropriate...comment...

    Whew.

    Nope, that wasn't me. My dreams of back-up-slut-singerdom remain unfulfilled. And the world is a safer place for it.

    mmmm...Sting sweat...

    Bad Dancehall! Bad bad bad!

    7:20 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    P.S. Just checked out your song. Are you serious about not listening to the rest? Jeez, what a tease!

    7:27 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Stay Awake is the album:
    Hi diddle dee dee: Ken Nordine w/Bill Frisell & Wayne Horvitz

    Little April Shower: Natalie Merchant, Michael Stipe, Mark Bingham and The Roches

    I Wan'na Be Like You [Jungle Book]: Los Lobos

    Baby Mine [my fave]: Bonnie Raitt & Was (Not Was)

    Heigh Ho [well, that's what we're all here talking about right? The pain?]

    Stay Awake: Suzanne Vega

    Little Wooden Head: Bill Frisell & Wayne Horvitz

    Blue Shadows on the Trail: Syd Straw

    Castle in Spain: Buster Pointdexter & the Banshees of Blue

    I Wonder: Yma Sumac

    Mickey Mouse March: Aaron Neville

    Feed the Birds [why does this song make me cry?]: Garth Hudson

    Whistle While You Work: NRBQ

    I'm Wishing: Betty Carter

    Cruella DeVille: The Replacements

    Dumbo and Timothy: Bill Frisell & Wayne Horvitz

    Someday My Prince Will Come: Sinead O'Connor

    Pink Elephants on Parade: Sun Ra and his Arkestra

    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah: Harry Nilsson

    Second Star to the Right: James Taylor

    Desolation Theme: Ken Nordine with Bill Frisell and Wayne Horvitz

    When You Wish Upon a Star: Ringo Starr

    Just the sort of thing for the Christmas stocking....

    8:23 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    They do I Wan'na Be Like You? Cool.

    Feed the Birds and Baby Mine always make me cry, too. I think it's that caring-for-small-defenseless-things thing.

    Sinead does Someday My Prince Will Come!?! THAT'S gotta be a hoot and a holler!

    oooo...James Taylor...arrogant bastard, but I love that voice.

    I'm not familiar with the Desolation Theme. Is that what you hear when you look at your wallet after leaving DisneyWorld?

    11:11 PM, November 26, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    "AND AH wood walk five 'undred miles and AH would warlk fiyve 'un-dread more...
    Just ta be da dum da da da dum , Just like it always was before."
    Etc.
    Ad inifinitum.
    Dantares.

    5:14 AM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    lol...one of your favs, I take it? ;-)

    9:29 AM, November 27, 2006  
    Anonymous cloawncar wrote in a love letter...

    Actually, you have them doing I Wanna Be Like You on that Just Another Band... compilation. I know, cuz I burned a copy of it from yours.

    2:02 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Do I? Man,I'm getting old and drain-bamaged.

    8:11 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Tom Waits once took my pcture with an invisible camera at an eghth graders graduation ceremony.

    A true story.

    I had a friend of mine from New Zealand believing that the Occidental town drunk (Ranger Rick) was Tom Waits.

    Another true story

    I paid a hundred bucks for one ticket to see Tom Waits play in a small movie theatre in Healdsburg way after he quit performing live, and it was the best show I ever saw, and I've seen a few.

    He actually sang with a megaphone

    What a dude...

    9:43 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Man, you should have asked him for the negatives.

    How do you know that Ranger Rick WASN'T Tom Waits?

    Clowncar's seen Tom Waits perform with a megaphone as well. Have you guys met? :-)

    10:57 PM, November 27, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Tom Waits is on The Daily Show even as I type. The ceiling of their rest room fell on him.

    He's promoting "Orphans Brawlers Bawlers & Bastards" and performing a song from another album. Maybe is will sound like pain.

    9:24 PM, November 28, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    Great songwriter, but yes, if he's singing it, it will sound like pain. Not as bad as Heigh Ho, but close.
    O

    10:22 PM, November 29, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Ba-ha! That sounds about right, Amusing.

    You can't arge with the lyrics though, can you O?

    10:29 PM, November 29, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home