Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, November 02, 2006

    What Are You Wearing?

    So did you dress up for Halloween?


    I know Lisa did. She looks cute in her wings. Popeye went as an...erm...plank *snort*.


    I did too. We had a Halloween party to attend, and my original idea of going as a dead dancer just didn't come together. Maybe next year. With about ten minutes to go, I pulled out a long grey dress, grey stockings, black Victorian lace-up boots, fluffed out my already generous hair, painted my face, threw my new grey shawl over my head, and went as The Ghost of Stevie Nicks' Solo Career.


    You know who didn't get to dress up for Halloween? My boyos. One boy in their class doesn't celebrate Halloween, or anything else, so no costumes for anyone. The class next door was decked out, including the teacher.


    See, here's where celebrating cultural diversity breaks down.


    We don't want one to feel left out, to feel different (even though his parents have chosen to raise him differently) so we'll all feel left out. Solidarity. The lowest common denominator.


    Thoughts?

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    This makes as much sense to me as ignoring all the kids birthdays because one child doesn't celebrate his or hers. In other words, not much. I'll bet that kid was the target of some nasty remarks from the othet kids.
    What next, the whole school?

    3:38 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Lucia wrote in a love letter...

    This sounds like a great costume. Don't the weirdest things come together at the last minute?

    5:00 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    That child should have been told that he could come in no costume and join, or stay home without an absence on his record. Very strange! They are taking PC to the EXTREME!!

    6:20 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Love the Stevie Nicks idea! That teacher either copped out to avoid the hastle or she was ordered to by admin. But it is a total pain in the ass when some strident parent gets all defensive about their "beliefs." I believe in equal opportunity. I hate all religions equally.

    6:23 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Sometimes PC people make me want to beat my head against something until I bleed. I mean, when do they draw the line? When are people going to realise that no matter WHAT you do, someone is going to be offended?

    And WHO REALLY CARES? *lol*

    Ah well. It's all irrelephant anyway, right?

    7:54 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Exactly, Meno. The boy has every right NOT to participate, but why should we take the right away from all the other kids TO participte? He wasn't made fun of, because it's a class of pre-schoolers. But just wait til he's older...

    Thanks, Lucia! I love spur-of-the-moment stuff. I think best under a deadline. Thanks for stopping by.

    Yup, Schmoop, exactly.

    Thanks, Bud; it was a fun costume. I scratch my head eqully at all religions anymore, though I find them facinating. I admire faith. I enjoy studying the trappings, too. It's all the other rules and regulations that make me stay away though.

    Oh I know, Ir! You cannot please everyone. PC is coming full-cicle, and it's about to see some backlash.
    PS. Thanks for the help with my sidebar!

    10:16 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Same thing happened with Harry Potter books in teh classroom (those purveyors of the devil's work). Most sensible is the objecting kid can opt out -- sensible parents can explain what the other kids are doing, or keep the kid at home that day and go collect fall leaves to honor the season instead.

    If the fear was devil's work -- then ask all parents not to send kids in scary costumes. My kids' school has guidelines -- no weapons, nothing too gruesome, creativity encouraged, etc.

    8:42 AM, November 06, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Exactly. If you object, go do something else that strengthens your own beliefs. Let everyone else have theirs.

    11:42 AM, November 06, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home