Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, November 19, 2006

    Urinetown!



    The musical.
    Was freaking hilarious
    and disturbing.

    The punchline was, “Hail Malthus!”

    If you don't know who that is, follow the link, if you dare.

    Combine that with peak oil, and it's like taking the red pill, Neo.


    Anyway, Urinetown was not performed in a theater in Denver,

    but in the hangar of a water waste treatment building.

    A building often referred to as “The Gotham Building”

    because of its Batman-comic-book-like architecture.

    Made for a good bit of 'ha-ha, isn't that clever?'

    But the acoustics were dreadful.

    Missed a lot of good lines.

    However,

    the lines we did catch

    were sharp and cold as dirty icicles

    and just as dangerous, as they hung over

    a few peoples' heads.


    The storyline: Sometime in the near-future, a permanent drought

    forces people to give up their private toilets,

    and public toilets are run by one corrupt company

    Urine Good Company

    that charges horrific amounts of money

    to use them.

    Public urination is a crime.

    Private urination is a crime.

    Enter one Young Unlikely Hero,

    One Young Heroine, who happens to be the daughter of

    Urine Good Company's president.

    Enter Love.

    And Urinetown is the name of the mysterious place

    where naughty piddlers are exiled.

    You don't want to know about Urinetown

    But you find out anyway.

    And the narrator, Officer Lockstock;

    Metatron in a police uniform.

    I was in love.

    I was scribbling notes in my head.

    Brilliant performance.


    Help

    I seem to be

    trapped in a second-rate

    Lisa writing style.

    Sorry.

    I'll give it back

    tomorrow.

    4 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Reading this is kind of like listen to someone with bad asthma speak.

    5:18 PM, November 19, 2006  
    Blogger D_Man wrote in a love letter...

    My God, I sat here thinking Lisa was guest posting. Good stuff.
    She did a review on that as well for her newspaper.

    1:22 AM, November 20, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Your post does have a sort of strange, Lisa-esque thing going on. And since someone has to point it out, has anyone else ever noticed that no-one ever sees Lisa and Nancy together, EVER?

    hmmmm.

    Nancy, I don't like big cities, but I'm terribly envious of you. You get to see things like a musical set in a sewer plant. Us? We get The Little Theater production of "A Streetcar Named Desire" once a year.

    7:06 AM, November 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I know, Popeye. I can't write a review to save my life.

    Did she see this one, D-Man? I really din't mean to steal her style.

    It's not like we have ANYHING in common, Ir. Except we both live in the West. And we both have twin boys. And, um, we both live in the 'burbs, and, um, we both write, and...well, ok. That should prove nothing.
    Yeah, but you've got bayous, and green grass, and oak trees, and year-round gardening and NOLA. Vive NOLA!

    I gots the 'burb blues.

    9:47 AM, November 20, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home