Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, November 14, 2006

    Time for a Medical Update



    Marvin Hill -- Infinite River


    In 1908, John McTaggart of Trinity College, Cambridge, published a paper proving that time does not actually exist.


    Would someone please tell that to the shit that is growing inside me? I'm afraid it's firmly convinced that time does exist, and is using that excuse to spread in the most painful way possible. Meanwhile, I'm not looking at surgery until January, possibly February.


    Emotionally, I'm feeling ok; some up days, some down. But overall, I'm in a better place than I was this time last week. My ob/gyn gave me a prescription for (insert long string of letters here, that when put together become unpronounceable in only the way medical words can)-progesterone, which is supposed to reset my clock, so to speak. I have to say it has helped with the mood swings.


    I've got an appointment with my old fertility doc (who will be doing the actual cutting) for Dec. 7th -- too far away for my taste.


    In the meantime, I'm looking at some massage techniques and acupuncture to try and keep this shit from spreading.


    Anybody have any suggestions for pain relief? Heat helps, and Excedrin Migraine, strangely enough.


    Geting my mind off the pain helps too. So anybody wanna talk about McTaggart's Proof of the Unreality of Time, and the paradox of the A-Series versus B-Series view of 'time', and that if the B-Series is the omnipotent viewpoint, that for all his omnipotence, God cannot tell time?


    And more importantly, does that make him the POV in that insipid Chicago song, “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”



    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Insipid song now stuck in my head, thank you very much. Pain relief. Ick. Wish I had a great tip for you, but there have been times it's just made me want to jump out of a moving car.

    Is science doing enough for us, do you think? I see a correlation between migraines, hormones, femaleness etc. - do the researchers? Do I need to call someone? Are they really looking at all the stuff it means to be a woman -- all the twists and turns our bodies take and why does it seem there are so many more opportunities for our bodies to be in pain, diseased, go wrong, than in men's? I need to think about this some more. If I come up with some helpful ideas along the way, I will scurry back, fingers ready to type and share!

    1:35 PM, November 14, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Sorry 'bout that. But since it was in mine, I had to share.

    What gets me is that the _wrong_ questions are being asked. What we need to be asking is, 'Why are nine-year-olds getting their periods?' Instead we just stock the second grade with 'supplies' and start the sex ed class a year earlier. Then we treat the early onset of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, etc. without ever questioning why it is increasing.

    3:02 PM, November 14, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    What can I say? I guess I just want to say, "What a bitch to have to deal with this!"

    7:08 PM, November 14, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    You and I have already discussed this medical situation and you know I'm thinking of you constantly, sending good vibes your way. Exedrin is the best OTC stuff I can think of. Soentime Acupuncture can work with pain.

    Hey, you really have to get the full series of What the Bleep Do WE Know? when it comes to that quantum stuff. The three disk set goes much farther than the original disk in explaining. I wouldn't tackle the subject without seeing that if I were you. Even if these guys are full of it, it shows you what one very popular school of thought is. I have no idea what to believe but find it fascinating.

    9:09 PM, November 14, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Pain relief: Try Naproxen if you haven't. Naproxen/ibuprofen inhibit an enzyme that makes prostaglandin, which inflames stuff, which hurts, as you know. Excedrin (or the aspirin in it) works because it inhibits prostaglandin, too. And Excedrin has caffeine. Sometimes that's a good thing.

    Tylenol may not do as much for the endo, as it has nothing to do with that enzyme, but it is an antiinflammatory, too. It is a painkiller, and if you're in a ball on the couch, and it's what you got, by all means, take it.

    Don't take Naproxen with Ibuprofen or with Excedrin. But it's okay to do Tylenol with one of those other three. Go easy on eating/drinking acidic stuff if you do. No coffee. No milk. Some tea (herbal infusions) good.

    As something to think about you could ask your MD what s/he thinks of Celebrex or some other COX-2 inhibitor for the short term until you're after surgery. It is a non-tolerance building drug that's for chronic pain. Those drugs have been pulled because of other risks, but some patients and docs swear by em. If your surgery isn't until Feb, it might be something to consider short-term to prevent having some days you'll never get back spent in a ball, focusing on your breathing.

    Either way, opening the discussion with the MD on pharm pain control will open the door to whether something like that would work or s/he can give you a low dose narc for a few weeks. When things hurt, it's not a bad thing to have a tylenol-3 (which is coedine + tylenol) in the house if you need it.

    Birth control pills can reduce some symptoms. Avoid eating too much soy, as it seems to have hormonal links. Glad heat works. Try cold at some point, too.

    I'm in the medical-model world still. I wish I had more "alternative" or "adjunct" ideas for you, but I don't right now. Not yet.

    Menstruating nine year olds: My theory is that it's all the hormones in food right now. That's an unofficial ob/gyn nursing theory circulating, incidentally. I don't think there's any hard research on it, though, which is silliness. That's my borrowed idea.

    Sorry so rambly. (Ask a nurse suggestions on pain relief and all....:D )
    /jo

    12:41 AM, November 15, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Early menstruating and the giant hooters on young 'uns -- I'm blaming the hormones injected in McDonald's beef!

    Friend also claims that birth control and antidepressant use is so common now that it's been recycled into our water supply.

    7:26 AM, November 15, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Hallelujah ladies; you're speaking my language!
    For a long time I've thought that my hormonal troubles were due to my lousy diet in my late teens-early twenties.
    You eat a cow raised on growth hormones, you are going to injest those hormones as well. They don't break down. (This line of thought is what earned me the sobriquet "Fucking Food Nazi" from my lovely sister-in-law).

    I don't think the research is being done because a lot of money is made keeping the status quo. It's going to take grass roots screaming, and pehaps another 'Supersize Me'-type documentary to change things.

    I had read about the tainted water supply as well, but the source was dodgy. What is your friend's source?

    9:40 AM, November 15, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    If I wasn't so worried about your pain and your health, I would be pissed at you for getting that crap Chicago song in my head!! :)

    Wish I could come over and take your boyos for you, or bring dinner, or one of those other snuggly neighborly things I could do if I as closer.

    Vapid words of encouragement, like that picture of the dangling kitten are all I can come up with. But do it anyway--hanging in there is never out of style. :)

    I'd say it's a perfect excuse to get some "good" drugs. Oh hey! I was thinking prescription stuff, but on the other hand...what about that one natural remedy? wink-wink.

    9:42 AM, November 15, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I know. Aint I a stinker?

    Those dang mountains in the way! I'd take ANY of your cooking, m'dear. And I imagine four twin boys could find some way to occupy themselves. I don't know if the house would still be standing, but...

    "Good" drugs? Whatever do you mean? *blink blink* You mean the ones I voted to legalize in this state, but MY VOTE PROBABLY DIDN'T COUNT?

    11:26 AM, November 15, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    No official nursing research that I could find on the subject. I looked. It annoyed me.
    /jo

    4:16 AM, November 17, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home