Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, November 18, 2006

    Speaking of Eunuchs



    Marvin Hill -- Nirvana Pie


    Every time I think I've come up with something totally absurd in my fiction, I get hit with the banana crème pie of reality:



    All-singing, all-dancing eunuchs taxing

    November 13, 2006 10:13am

    Article from: Reuters

    DANCING and singing eunuchs are knocking on doors in the Indian city of Patna in a bid to embarrass shopkeepers into paying their taxes.

    The shock strategy, in which sari-clad and heavily made up eunuchs accompany officials on their rounds of crowded shopping areas in a country notorious for tax evasion and non-payment, has been declared a success.

    "Some paid in cash, while others quickly wrote checks. The shock therapy, which we plan to use sparingly, was a grand success," Atul Prasad, a top official in impoverished Bihar state, of which Patna is the capital, said.

    The novel tax-collection technique kicked off last week with boisterous eunuchs loudly demanding that mortified shopkeepers pay up - to the bemusement of scores of onlookers.

    Taxmen pocketed 425,000 rupees ($12,484) from defaulters in a few hours.




    I didn't think they still made eunuchs.

    7 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    I mean, they must be voluntary eunuchs...but wow. I didn't think they made them anymore either. But wow, would I LOVE to have one dancing around my door and singing. I'd charge extra.

    12:10 PM, November 18, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Let's HOPE they're voluntary. Or that they are paid WELL.
    Oh, and I'd really like to give Smudge something lacy and frilly and girly, because, well, you can't do that with two boys. (Unless you want to set them up for a bizarre career in India.) What do you say?

    1:17 PM, November 18, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I heard this story today on NPR and really laughed. a) They're eunuchs, b) they're dressed in SARIS, and c) they sing (and if I understand the story right, they sing something about paying your taxes). I love it that the government said that they're going to step this strategy up since it works!

    3:27 PM, November 18, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Would never work in Greenwich Village....

    5:17 PM, November 18, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I have never, ever heard of tax officials being:
    a) this inventive.
    b) this interesting!
    Dantares.

    2:45 AM, November 19, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    I think there's still one small factory in the US producing them, somewhere in Montana, I'm told. All hand-crafted work, very cottage-industry sort of thing. But of course they're making them in China by the thousands by near-slave labour in factories. *shrug* Whatta gonna do?

    Buy US made!

    7:39 AM, November 19, 2006  
    Blogger jeje wrote in a love letter...

    nike roshe run one
    michael kors factory outlet
    nike air zoom structure 19
    http://www.uggoutlet.uk
    adidas tubular UK
    michael kors handbags
    salomon speedcross
    adidas tubular
    adidas neo online shop
    michael kors outlet

    9:15 PM, March 22, 2017  

    Post a Comment

    << Home