Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, November 08, 2006

    Post-Election Day Blues

    Looks like Congress is singing the blues.


    I won't tell you whether that makes me happy or not, because one of the great ideas with voting in a free country is that no one has to know how you voted. Another great idea is that if you are a citizen who has registered, you are actually allowed to vote.


    Right?


    Let me tell you about my voting experience yesterday. Then you make the call.


    There were no lines at my poling place, just as there were no lines the last time I voted.* As I walked in, a departing voter (we'll assume he voted; but maybe not) said something I didn't catch to one of the election judges (the only man, the rest were women), who responded to him in a gruff voice. One of the other judges quietly said to him, “You're being awfully strict.”


    Before I could open my mouth in greeting, he pointed to a table and said. “Fill out one of those yellow cards. But before I'll let you do that, take this pen over there.” He pointed to a pen at his elbow. The other judges tittered a little. I picked up the pen and did as he asked. I brought my yellow card back over to him, along with my driver's license. He found my name in the list. I got ready to sign my name next to it.


    But first, he had a problem with the address on my license. Fine; it's my old address, so I quickly produced my checkbook with my current address, just as I had the last time I voted here.


    “Hmmm,” he said. “Well. The photo on the license dooooes look like you. But. I need to see your signature for comparison." (What does this have to do with my address? I wondered.)


    I signed my name on a piece of paper, knowing what his reaction would be before the ink even dried.


    “These signatures don't match,” he said, as if reading from a cue card.
    “I promise you, it's me. Do you want to see my credit cards?”
    “No. It does look like you on the driver's license. But.” He waited a full minute before delivering his verdict. I stood there turning redder and redder. Everyone in the room watched us.
    “I'm going to let you vote provisionally.”
    “Provisionally?”
    “Yeah. Here's your ballot. Fill it out, fill out this envelope, and you vote will be counted later. If there aren't any problems.”


    One of the other judges led me to a table out in the wide-open, and told me to fill everything out. Then she apologized. I got out my notes with my votes and filled in the ballot. Then I filled out the envelope with my personal information. Before I finished, before I could put the private ballot into the envelope and put away my notes, two of the judges approached the table and asked if I had finished. They were polite, but I believe my voting privacy had been compromised, as one of the women looked down at my notes before I had a chance to sweep the paper back into my purse.


    Is this voter harassment? You make the call.


    *I have a theory for why my particular, well-to-do poling place doesn't draw in the crowds, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the way I was treated. My area is a stronghold for one of the parties, and it is only the members of the other party and independents who bother to vote. Pure speculation on my part.

    12 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    That's an amazing story. I don't even know what to say. I'm not sure i'd ever go back. Can you vote absentee from now on?

    10:00 AM, November 08, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I know what party you're talking about too. It's endemic. Down here they somehow managed to fix the voting machines so that the other party votes didn't register the first time.If you didn't notice that and vote again, you lost your vote. Guess who won. Yup, the ones who were 7 points behind last week.

    10:21 AM, November 08, 2006  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    That is terrible! You should register a complaint. I'd vote absentee ballot from now on although I did have a bad experience doing that once.

    Even though I requested the ballot in August (I was at school) they didn't send it to me and then 2 maybe 3 days before the election they sent me a letter saying they couldn't get me a ballot on time. Hmmmm.... Is it because the party I was registered under was the opposite of which party had control of the state? Hmmmm...and more hmmmm....

    10:47 AM, November 08, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    F*ck the GV Nazis'. As long as you live there you should try to vote absentee. Sounds like the person who put you through the ringer is really bored with life and had nothing better to do than harass you. Sorry, Pants.

    11:22 AM, November 08, 2006  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    I was told I was at the wrong polling place (I knew it was the right one), and told to go somewhere else. Since I was biking, and pulling 2 little girls in a bike trailer behind me, I was not amused. I held my ground, they double-checked, and decided I was in the right place after all. If they had made me bike to the place they told me to go, then bike back there to vote, I would have burnt the place down.

    The girls have decided that voting is boring, but not as boring as golf (the litmus test for boredom in our household).

    11:45 AM, November 08, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    gaaaaaaaaaaawd.

    people.

    what an ass!

    12:34 PM, November 08, 2006  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    Next time, take a videocamera and film the bastard doing his thing- take down his name, ID, whatever credentials, etc. Lean on him just as hard and tell him things like "How will you spend your time next election day when you are not able to do this?". That or ask lots of questions about concealed weapon laws at the polling place. Act nervous and splash yourself with water. Tremble and make grunting and whimpering sounds. Mention the "Prophesy" and ask to change clothes before you vote. Tell him you have an identifying tattoo that he can use for identity verification, but that it's in a private place, and you'll only show him in private. Tell him you'll supply some DNA but that you want some of his in exchange.

    You know, that or cold cock the old fart...

    5:44 PM, November 08, 2006  
    Blogger Lucia wrote in a love letter...

    This sounds a lot like what they've been telling us in my state if we didn't do x, y, and z. So...I'm not surprised, but watch a pain. From what I understood here, and maybe it's not true there, that anyone who had to vote provisionally had to follow up within a week by going into some office with some proper-like piece of ID or somesuch nonsense.

    8:40 PM, November 08, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I've never ever had a problem voting. It's in, out and done. BTW, in most states, you only have 30 days to change your address on your license. You may want to look into getting that changed to avoid future problems. Just saying.

    10:40 PM, November 08, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Chelsea Clinton had to vote provisionally at her polling place in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood. The powers that be sent the book for her district to another, and vice-versa. She cast a provisional vote, and the books were eventually swapped back to where they should have been initially sent within an hour.

    Since this is Manhattan we're talking about, I doubt party affiliation has anything to do with it. You'd be really hard pressed to find any Republicans in the five boroughs, unless they're transplants from another state.

    4:52 AM, November 09, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Meno: I think I will vote absentee in the future.

    Bud: *shaking head* I can't say I'm surpised.

    DMG: I did. We'll see if anything comes of it. I remember you absentee ballot troubles. It doesn't seem to matter which party is in power; they both make it difficult for the other side.

    Schmoop: Nazi. My thoughts exactly. This guy was a prick.

    Clowncar: Unbelievable. And with the girlios in tow. How does tv bowling rank? It's gotta be lower than golf.

    MD: Turn your moon his way, wouldja? ;-)

    Stucco: All excellent ideas! Good God, I'm still laughing. Maybe I'll say I have to change into HIS clothes before I vote.

    Lucia: I have a phone number I'm supposed to call in two weeks to see if my vote counted. Strangely, this doesn't make me feel empowered.

    Anon: Colorado's pretty lax about driver's licenses. Whenever there's been a question, the checkbook has sufficed. My husband (native) has never had a problem either, and he's moved around quite a bit. I'm glad to hear that SOMEONE doesn't have a voting horor story. Thanks for commenting!

    Froggie: I heard about Cheslsea. I didn't know how the issue resloved itself. Thanks!

    8:13 AM, November 09, 2006  
    Blogger jeje wrote in a love letter...

    nike roshe run one
    michael kors factory outlet
    nike air zoom structure 19
    http://www.uggoutlet.uk
    adidas tubular UK
    michael kors handbags
    salomon speedcross
    adidas tubular
    adidas neo online shop
    michael kors outlet

    9:13 PM, March 22, 2017  

    Post a Comment

    << Home