Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, November 01, 2006

    Pop Rocks

    Pop Rocks!


    Pop!


    Rocks!


    Pop!


    I'd forgotten about these things. Seriously. I don't know how; when I was a girl I ate enough of them to become an urban legend.


    The bus dropped us off at school at least half an hour before they unlocked the doors. We stood freezing in the church doorway (unlocked, Mass and warmth inside, but we froze to stay cool) and pawed through the morning's ill-gotten goodies – a brown paper bag filled with candy from the forbidden convenience store across busy 20th Street.


    We weren't allowed to go there by ourselves. We couldn't even be seen there alone on weekends. It didn't stop us from trying, obvious as flames in our plaid skirts and white blouses. The school secretary's office faced the street, and she knew us all by name.


    Enter the parents. Specifically, G's parents.
    G's last name was Montana, and it rhymed with her first. She was in our class but a year older than the rest of us, an advantage to her when puberty hit us with a sap and stole our alliances.
    G's parents wanted her to fit in. She was an only child, adored as the One Who Made It Full-Term. Every frozen morning included a stop at the forbidden store. Five dollars bought G the warmth of a circle of girls, all reaching into the bag, finding the candy they'd requested the morning before.
    My treat was Pop Rocks. I loved the way they sounded in my mouth; like the all words I couldn't say aloud magically turned to glass shards melting between my teeth, leaving behind a sublime and secret sweetness.


    Then this morning here was a package in my hand, a treat for a pirate the night before.
    What is it? they asked.
    Something magical, I answered.
    Open it, they begged.
    I did. I placed a pinch of the sweet pink crumble on their outstretched tongues like a sacrament.
    I watched their surprised smiles like a newly-discovered icon.
    I pinched a bit for myself, when they weren't looking. My mouth crackled with all the words I still need to say.


    Like these.


    Pop Rocks!


    Pop!


    Rocks!


    Pop!


    Oh, and something else from childhood:

    Rabbit, Rabbit.

    Ok, so I still do it.


    Oh! AND, I'm participating in NaBloPoMo, and will have the logo up as soon as Blogger stops freaking out.


    12 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    Pop Rocks! That's a blast from the past. I snuck some of them into some sunflower seeds that my mom was eating once, and after she finished freaking out she slapped me so hard that my ears rang. But it was worth it to see the look on her face as they began to pop.

    3:59 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Pop Rocks. God up the chimney I haven't had Pop Rocks in an eternity. And I particuarly liked the image of you as the High Priestess, dispensing the Holy Candy unto the willing tongues of the True Believers.

    Yeah, I had wayyyy too much Catholic school. All that rings bells with me.

    Except the candy. For us it was pecans. Don't ask.

    5:18 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Meno: OUCH! I would have used gunpowder the next time...

    Irr: :-) I'm asking. Mmmmmm...pecans....

    7:01 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    You're a Catholic School survivor too, Huh? They hadn't invented Pop Rocks when I was of the age to care. But we had the same candy rituals and skipping morning mass rituals. And I do remember serving communion with Neco Wafers. Rabbit Rabbit, however, I never heard of until now. Thanks for the link.

    7:58 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Blogger Scott from Oregon wrote in a love letter...

    I am gonna do the nanowrimo thing. A novel in thirty days. Wish me luck.

    9:36 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Good luck! I'd do it too, but I can't ship the boyos off to Borneo, or myself off to Paris for 30 days.

    I'd love to read it when it's done.

    9:50 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Neco Wafers for Hosts -- I love it! We practiced with the unconsecrated ones, and the rumors spread that they were Satanic.

    9:53 PM, November 01, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I love pop rocks!!!

    We had this candy bar here, Milka from germany I think that had a cream in the center and what was I thought pop rocks in it. It would fizz and pop in your mouth. chocolate and pop rocks!!! What more could you want?!

    2:36 AM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    For us, it was Jello powder. We'd hide behind the grove of enormous oak trees at recess and remove the forbidden boxes of powder from our jacket pockets, lick our fingers and dip them in the sugary-sweet goodness. We had trouble, explaining to the teachers, why our fingers were dyed various colors. My favorite flavor was raspberry. I have no idea who started the trend, but we enjoyed it for many months before the principal sent a letter home to the parents, making it a severe offense to be caught with a box of Jello on school grounds. We were crushed! We had all developed a real "Jello habit" by then. We were forced to lose the Jello, but we still hung-out behind the beautiful grove of trees.

    7:42 AM, November 02, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Aw, man! I want a Milka! It sounds like the perfect food. Wait; if you dip it in coffee, THEN it's the perfect food.

    Awww..that's terrible! I wonder who ratted you out. But I bet you guys weren't bouncing off the walls quite so much after recess. ;-)

    10:02 PM, November 02, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I know!! I LOOOOOOOOOOVED that candy bar. I mean, it was so good that I had planned on taking 10 of them to the states with me but now I can't find them!!

    *crying*

    2:50 AM, November 03, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Hmmm. Jello powder. Anything akin to Pixie sticks?

    8:38 AM, November 06, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home