Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, November 09, 2006

    Physical Therapy



    Marvin Hill -- Winter Garden Bed


    I needed to dig. I needed something to harvest.
    I needed proof that I'd done SOMETHING with my summer.
    The warm weather broke records. The sun on my straw hat deluded me into thinking that it was summer, that somehow the season had not passed in a blur, I'd only imagined it had.

    But the garden didn't lie. The pale and broken stalks of corn, the fallen leaves, the friable earth; the garden was tired.
    Looking at it, I wondered why I maintain this little patch of dirt that has no hope of actually feeding my family beyond a few summer treats. My dreams are so much bigger. But in this season they've grown friable too.


    So I dug. I unearthed potatoes as big as my fist. I pulled up the last Scarlet Nantes carrots, their spicy perfume rising from dark holes. I tucked in the parsnips to sweeten over the winter. I put the bed to bed. And I felt better. Much better.


    Now I'll wait until January, when the seed catalogs come. Wait until I'm stirred back out of my lethargy by promises of exotic colors and luscious tastes and vibrant green leaves and...and...and...


    And I'll dream big again.

    6 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Ah, I used to be you. I don't miss it. Glad I did it.. Things change. That was a nice time of my life.

    12:34 PM, November 09, 2006  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    Beautiful entry, Nancy.

    3:42 PM, November 09, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    "Friable." What a wonderful word, and what a great post. There's something to digging in the dirt, isn't there, something healing, something spiritual with bringing things to life, even if they're just leafy green things.

    Spring is the light at the end of winter's tunnel. Soon enough the earth will warm again.

    9:03 AM, November 10, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    When I am stressed or need to think, I always go out to pull weeds or rake leaves. There is something to being outdoors with nature all around, that is an elixer to the soul. You have your "little patch of dirt." It is your small part of the earth to manipulate and plan (almost like an artist uses a blank canvas.)

    12:20 PM, November 10, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I love dreaming. It's so much more cogent than reality. Especially when my garden is concerned. That sorry strip of land, with a gigantic privet hedge on one side. It's affectionately known as "the Wasteland" or "The Garden of Death" to the slightly more horticulturally able; or just "out back" to me and Dad, more afraid to accept the reality that the place is a scrubby accolade to surburban disinterest.
    In fact, that is unfair. My agéd Pater is a keen yet ineffectual gladiolist. He cares for fragile blooms, but tends to use a pitchfork where a trowel is in order. The Apple Tree spouts maggots from its broken core, the hedge takes all in it's unremitting gaze. We frequently think of Japanese gravel, with nice things in Pots. I think of a herb garden - only to supply my porcetto with the rosemary it deserves, dammit, without having to accept Jamie Oliver's leering expression everytime I buy from Sainsbury's.
    So I think you will accept that I find the idea that you get anything from your garden an achievement when compared with my dismal catalogue of negative successes. The idea of spuds fresh from the dirt, good, clean, wholesome dirt - sounds like a spud from a happy plot. Gardener, I salute you.
    Dantares.

    5:03 PM, November 10, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Bud, you live in Florida, you've got to grow SOMETHING! :-)

    Thanks, Es. :-)

    I thought you'd like this post, Ir, my fellow gardener. How's the winter garden shaping up? (Like you have winter. heh.)

    Schmoop: And you have (had now *sigh*) the coolest greenhouse. Now all you'll have to do is toss a few seeds out the door and watch your garden grow. I'll be up to inspect your progress. :-)

    Don't let Jamie Oliver bully you, Dantares! Go with your nice things in Pots. I have a friend in Canterbury who has a lovely potted herb garden. Don't make me think of your cooking suffering on Jamie's account.

    8:54 AM, November 11, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home