Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, November 22, 2006

    A Good Place

    As I type this, the Holy Bird is resting in the Sacred Brine of Many Tasty Ingredients. I'll be cooking and cleaning like a Martha-possessed fiend tomorrow (Wednesday) after I post this, but for tonight, all's right with the world. Mentally, I'm in a much better place than I was last year (scary, I know).


    I finished the last of my food shopping this evening. Pulling into Safeway's parking lot, I found a spot facing west and sat in the car watching the sunset. So did four other drivers. We sat staring out our windshields at the pink and blue fingers of something too large to comprehend. I got out of the car and walked backwards toward the store, unwilling to take my eyes off the last fantastic light. Three employees stood outside without saying a word. I tuned around and we all stared at each other with goofy looks on our faces.


    Inside, a man's voice interrupted the preemptive Christmas music over the loudspeakers with this announcement:
    “Attention, Safeway shoppers. If you are near the front of the store, please take a look out the windows at the beautiful Colorado sunset. If you moved here from Iowa, or California, or Texas, this is a reminder of why you are here...that's all.”


    I live for things like that.


    ***


    I can only imagine that tonight's reaction was actually residual from Monday night's sunset. That one...God, THAT was a sunset.
    The sun disappeared behind long-fingered clouds, and the light between sky and ground turned a golden pink color. The air blushed.
    Fairy light. There were no shadows.
    Orange clouds spread across the sky like brushed out downy feathers. The blue behind them was bright and pure as midsummer, and just as distant. Season as mirage.
    Tree branches darkened first, but for the very tops of the highest trees – the blessed beautiful treetops reflected the last light like they were dusted with copper. The sun dropped below the mountains, and the sky between the clouds went bright orange while the clouds went purple. The glow around me disappeared. The sky hoarded its brightness.

    Jack saw me outside. He opened the sliding door and came out to stand next to me. He looked at the sky, laughed and said, “Look at that! The sky is a mess of orange clouds.”


    The dark tree branches crisscrossed the opulent sky like a back-roads map to secret apple orchards, prized pumpkin patches, wind-harvested corn fields edged in granite stone walls.
    It was more than a sunset. It was the face of Autumn. With a look, it explained the holidays. Watching it, you understood Halloween and Thanksgiving.


    So powerful, so archetypal, that night it had me dreaming about a sunset. In the dream I walked along a beach hand in hand with someone I could not see, and the sunset colors were so bright you could hear them, and I knew we'd always been walking there, and we always would, and it would be enough.


    7 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Vivid. There are no other words to describe it. There are sunsets in Baton Rouge that, they say, colour the most amazing maroons, but that's because of the toxic chemicals in the air. Colorado's sunsets are likely enough a lot less sullied.

    The beach dream...It sounds like a very pleasant dream indeed. The ocean, too, is a very powerful archetype. Sounds like someone is trying to tell you something! You'd better be listening!

    4:16 PM, November 22, 2006  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Nice piece o' writing.

    We saw an "icebow" during yesterday's sunset - a rainbow inside a cirrus cloud caused by the sun shining through the ice crystals in the cloud.

    4:24 PM, November 22, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Your description is luscious! Sunrise beach walks used to be my daily habit when we had the condo on the Atlantic. Now it's sunset over the Gulf of Mexico. I can't honestly rate one over the other. I find that to be true of most sun "events." Nice to hear your joy, your bliss come through your words.

    4:28 PM, November 22, 2006  
    Blogger meno wrote in a love letter...

    I miss those Colorado sunsets. And the stars! There are so many more of them there. Thanks for the reminder. That's very cool that the Safeway people would announce it.

    4:40 PM, November 22, 2006  
    Blogger D_Man wrote in a love letter...

    Sounds magical.

    I love the sun. It is the center of my universe.

    3:04 AM, November 23, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Beautiful words, Pants! I shared the sunset with you. I was in the kitchen passing the window. I did a double-take and went outside. It was wonderful to see a beautiful CO sunset one last time.

    8:49 PM, November 23, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    I got home late. The Youngest wanted to go out on his bicycle. It was getting dark. "Oh, but this is a magical time of night" I explained to him. "It isn't light and it isn't dark!"

    A pickled face. "There is no magic, mommy. There is no magic oustide. It is just dark!" He stayed inside being furious with me while his older brother and his grandfather headed off to the beach at deep dark dusk. It was magic.

    8:28 PM, November 26, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home