Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, November 04, 2006

    Englewood's Finest

    But first a concert review. Even though I suck at reviews.


    Schmoop and I went to see Shawn Colvin. Lovely, lovely show, made even better by the venue – The Gothic; a small, funky venue on Broadway in Englewood. Shawn was at her finest – sweet-voiced, funny, engaging the crowd with her songs and stories. Too bad the Village Idiot had to keep shouting “Steady On!” (at least it wasn't Freebird) or she might have sung it. No matter. She sang 'Polaroids', one of my favorites (and I had to laugh at the lately-appropriate last verse).

    Normally, I clap politely for the opening act, but Brandi Carlile really caught my attention. She's just signed with Colombia, and she recorded her new album with T-Bone Burnett. Not too shabby. I think she actually received a better response from the audience, which seemed half-asleep during Shawn's performance. Brandi's best song was, “Throw It All Away”:


    This love branches out like an oak tree
    Reach for the sky and roots to the sea
    So when you're shaken down and broken
    Find some peace of mind in knowing

    I'd throw them all away when I'm hollow
    Deep as the sea goes, all I know is
    I would throw it all away...away


    Like Schmoop said after her performance, “Shawn who? Who are we here to see?”


    True to form, Englewood's Finest made a pointless guest appearance on our way home. Officer Shaped-Like-A-Penis pulled me over to tell me I had a tail light out.

    Yeah. Where were you when my house was robbed twice? Or during the home invasion? Or when our garage was vandalized? Or when your buddy officer asked who O and I pissed off after our tv was stolen?


    Issues? Me? Never!

    7 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    You don't have issues, you have a whole subscription! *wink*

    Sorry, throwback to an ex-friend of mine who really DID have subscriptions. Several of them. Freud would have had a FIELD DAY with this guy.

    6:51 PM, November 04, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    8:37 AM, November 05, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    I love Shawn's voice a lot. Brandi is adorable AND she plays a Taylor so I'm drawn to her right away. Good songwriter too. Thanks for that. Officer Who Looks Like a Penis? What an image. Somebody should draw that but not for your kids' book.

    8:38 AM, November 05, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    I had such a great time at the concert. Thanks again for inviting me, Pants! I enjoyed Brandi so much because she really touched a chord with me (bad pun!) I really love "What Can I Say" and "Closer to You" (because I miss Stucco :) Thanks, O. for hanging-out with A. and Z. for me so I could go!

    9:00 AM, November 05, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Heh. So what would Freud say about a cigar-smoking Magazine Major, Ir? ;-)

    Is that what you play, Bud? You'll have to tell me about guitars sometime. Yeah....I don't think Officer Shaped-Like-A-Penis would make a suitable kids' book character. Though I could be wrong. Captain Underpants really throws me.
    (Heh. Here's where Stucco steps in with a 'Pants' joke.)

    Thanks for the drinks, Schmoop. At least Offcer P. didn't ask me to step out of the car. (Not that I was drunk; two drink two hours before, and a clear head full of music.)

    10:02 AM, November 05, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Planks, valentines, I don't get it.

    8:50 AM, November 06, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to get it, Amusing. :-)

    11:38 AM, November 06, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home