Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Monday, November 13, 2006

    All I Have to Say



    Marvin Hill -- Heart of Quartz


    What if you COULD tear a page, and set free the animals drawn there?
    What if you could bring to life whatever is penned there?
    What would happen with all the abstract words?
    Like the word 'love'?
    Freed from the page, would love have a shape and a color we could recognize?
    Would love be a word we'd finally understand, once we felt the weight of it in our hands?


    I've been turning the last four questions over and over, hell, for years now, trying to answer them in the book.
    But the last few days the questions have been pressing up behind my eyes, like kids looking out the windows at the new-fallen snow.

    So it's no wonder I woke up with part of a song in my head. This is what I can remember:




    Words hang in the air
    but they're not really there
    Can love be the same way?
    How can I tell you I care
    when words are all I have to say?


    The shape of an oak tree
    A bright green wing
    a garden blossoming.


    Until they invent
    something shiny and new
    Words are all I have to say.


    I think it's the idea that when a powerful love comes over you, words just aren't enough, but they're all we have.

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    No they aren't.
    Haven't you ever felt yourself shooting love out your eyes at the other person? Or breathing out a bit of your soul when you kiss a sleeping child or a darling man?

    Am I a superhero that I know my hands can express love? I feel the truth of it each time I cross the street with the Youngest's fingers damply clinging to mine.

    Love. A hand on a neck. The snow falling outside. It's in the air. Wordlessly.

    10:12 AM, November 13, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    No they aren't.
    Haven't you ever felt yourself shooting love out your eyes at the other person? Or breathing out a bit of your soul when you kiss a sleeping child or a darling man?

    Am I a superhero that I know my hands can express love? I feel the truth of it each time I cross the street with the Youngest's fingers damply clinging to mine.

    Love. A hand on a neck. The snow falling outside. It's in the air. Wordlessly.

    10:12 AM, November 13, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Love is definitely a form of energy. It's hard to describe light and heat and cold beyond the words themselves and the way they make you feel. Hey, mind if I tinker with those words and try some music with them?

    11:41 AM, November 13, 2006  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Love is a crazed and drunken circus bear wandering moonlit streets, let out of his cage by a careless night watchman, wreaking mayhem upon an uncaring universe that kept him in captivity for so long.

    But that's just me.

    I reslly like "the last few days the questions have been pressing up behind my eyes, like kids looking out the windows at the new-fallen snow."

    4:53 PM, November 13, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Can I get an easier question?

    7:03 PM, November 13, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Amusing: Oh yes, I've felt all that. :-) You can feel it, but can you understand it? I mean, comprehend love from one end to the other.
    (You are SO smitten! ;-) )

    Bud: Tinker away! I'm flattered. Writing music is some sort of incomprehensible magical power to me.

    Clowncar: You hit it on the head! :-)

    Ir: No. Wait til the next one. :-)

    2:38 PM, November 14, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    Boy if that ain't just the truest truth I've ever done read!

    In other words: amen, sistah!

    9:36 AM, November 15, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    :-) Thanks, Lisa. Thought you might relate. I hope you're having a colorful day.

    11:21 AM, November 15, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home