Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, September 15, 2006

    Probably Better Left Unsaid

    Snagged from Neil's site, this horridness:

    The Shire.


    I mean, really. And looking at the price list, you have to be Bilbo to afford one.

    Gaaa! I can't stop looking at it. Especially the Sims-like renditions.

    And the suit of armor? In a kid's bedroom?

    Recycled PVC thatch!?!? Home offices that overlook the Shire Commons!?!?

    And they have garages, Mr. Frodo.

    Horrid, I tell you. Horrid.

    So when you die, do they bury you in Harry Potter's Field?

    And you know I'm only ranting about it because I can't beat to death the 12-year-old inside me who's screaming, 'I wanna live there! I wanna live there! I wanna live THEEEEERE!'

    Alone.

    ____________________________________________________

    Addn:
    It just gets worse: "Sing in your own amphitheater, discover the homes of the orginal (sic) Shire residents embedded in the hillside..."

    ____________________________________________________

    Addn 2:

    And this from the Covenant:
    • Shared creativity, artistic expression, cultural activities, rituals and celebrations.
    • Respect and support for spirituality manifesting in many ways.
    • Shared vision and agreements that express commitments, cultural heritage and the uniqueness of our community.
    • Flexibility and successful responsiveness to difficulties that arise.
    • Understanding of the interconnectedness and interdependence of all the elements of life on Earth and the community's place in relation to the whole.
    • Creation of a peaceful, loving, sustainable world.

    What cultural heritage!? It hasn't even been built yet!

    _______________________________________________
    Addn 3:

    Scroll down to the last picture. Notice the cars. *snort* And I love how the artist didn't color them in.

    9 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Gaa! And now I can't update. But I must share with you Addn 3 (I could do this all day):
    _______________________________________________
    Addn 3:

    Scroll down to the last picture.

    http://www.bendshire.com/index.
    php?p=6&side=select

    Notice the cars. *snort* And I love how the artist didn't color them in.

    12:58 PM, September 15, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    "In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit..." Also note that these are houses, not holes. Fucking duh. I wonder if these twits actually read the books.
    O
    PS - There not as nearly twit-like as the super-twits who'll spend money on these.

    1:37 PM, September 15, 2006  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    You know, no matter how much it feels like I should dump educated scorn on this...I really like it. I wouldn't like there, but hell, it's nice. It's happy. It's trying.

    I like it. AND, I live....three hours from Bend, so eventually I can go see it, too.

    1:54 PM, September 15, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Damn! And I thought Florida was pretentious! That's unfucking believable.

    10:21 PM, September 15, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I may start sharpening my axe. Can you see the dust on that tabletop? That is disgraceful!!!
    Dantares.

    1:37 AM, September 16, 2006  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    Yes, it's pretentious, but I have to say I'd take it over one of these corporate cracker boxes they have been building around my 'hood. If I had the means, I'd upset their harmonious little spiritual applecart by buying one, and then wandering the grounds in my underwear, playing Turbonegro loudly, placing a pink flamingo in the yard, and painting the joint in colors that'd make an Italian wince. That, or I'd run a theme-whorehouse.

    8:05 PM, September 16, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Ah, I took a course on the history of suburbia -- this isn't even a new chapter, but a continuation of developers selling us an idyllic lifestyle taht just never seems to appear once your car is in the garage, the boxes are unpacked and reality and the bills start rolling in.

    10:58 AM, September 18, 2006  
    Blogger Stucco wrote in a love letter...

    I think it'd be best to park the Oscar Meyer Weiner-mobile in the driveway. That or the dog-van from Dumb and Dumber...

    1:22 PM, September 18, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Exactly, Amusing! I keep getting this image of the homeowners going along their happy little lives, then one day looking at each other and saying, "What the hell are we doing?"

    I agree with you, Esereth, that it is a happy thing, and they are trying, but, I don't know. You just can't force something like that. It has to evolve on its own. I think the arguments that will eventually erupt will be far more bloody and hurtful than your typical covenant-controlled neighboorhood (typo intentional) spats about who gets to build a shed and who doesn't. These arguments will be spirit-deep, you know? And they will sound utterly silly to an outsider.
    Still, I'd love to actually SEE the place...

    And Bud, they have an amphitheater! You could perform! ;-)

    Stucco, you have a point; they are MUCH better than the wattle and daub boxes that pass for houses these days. They are well-crafted, (or will be) That's for sure.

    Dantares, I think you need to scrape together half a mil... ;-) I bet you could find a gamer or two there. And DMG and I could visit and sit in. I haven't decapitated anyone in ages!

    1:35 PM, September 18, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home