Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, August 02, 2006

    Friday Night in the Mountains

    We had the dearest storm last evening. The thunder tumbled over itself to beat the lightning in a race to the ground, then a steady, soaking rain made the tomatoes glad they lived through the dry, hot weekend.*

    But enough about the weather. I’ve got a whole blessed weekend to uncover and blog, layer after layer.

    I love beginnings. This one starts with a sunset.
    The sunset did its best to last, but we had no hope of reaching the campsite in time to set up the tent with any help from the light. So instead of being useful, it settled for simply being beautiful. And that was just fine with me.
    It let me remember what pulled me out here so many years ago.

    We found Mr. Clowncar and family exactly twelve seconds before they gave up hope of seeing us that night. By now, all was pitch. When I opened the car door, I was momentarily disoriented by a rich, delicate smell – similar to lavender in its sweetness.


    There is silence and then there is quiet, profound and ancient, married to darkness. Both filled the mountains that night.
    And above us – stars. All of them, not just the ones the city lets pass through its orange dome. The Milky Way wound through the sky like Salome’s last veil.

    Clowncar and Lil Peewee guided us from the car to the camp. The tent went up without incident. The boyos went down with a good deal of incident, each protest a blow to the brow of the quiet. They finally settled in, snuggling up on either side of their dad. Clowncar and I sat outside, passing a flask of bourbon back and forth; the insomniac and the night owl naming the stars, counting the falling ones and the complicated satellites, discussing chapters and writing and the contests that have let us down.

    I lay in the tent and listened to the ravens bickering over the early morning rose light, and the high trill of hummingbirds too busy to arbitrate, eagerly going about their constant business of sustenance. And then I heard another bird with a joyous voice like a lost soul found. I cannot name it.
    But I was greeted by this:

    The view took me by surprise. Only the night can hide a mountain.

    And then I identified the purfume that briefly stole me away the night before.
    Wild sage. Everywhere.

    Lil Peewee started breakfast, the kiddos clustered around the camp stove and we shooed them away again and again. She kindly loaned me a pot to cook eggs, as I managed to forget my own. We talked about birds and work and the little beings left in our care, and I was happy just to be there with her, a woman whom I admire and love. There aren’t as many as there should be.

    After breakfast, the guys took the kiddos hiking while we cleaned up and prepared for a day of sun and music and river splashing.

    And I’ll leave you with that, for now.


    *That reminds me of something I saw in a dream last night; an hourglass, but instead of sand, it was filled with water.
    What would we do without dreams?


    17 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    How beautiful. I really like "Only the night can hide a mountain."

    I promised B we would go camping when I got back... hoping the weather holds.

    See you soon

    12:33 AM, August 03, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Wow. That's all I can manage right now. Wow.

    5:36 AM, August 03, 2006  
    Blogger Nixxie wrote in a love letter...

    That sunset is amazing!

    5:51 AM, August 03, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Nancy, this is so damn beautiful! Sorry I've been away from blogland for so long. You almost make me want to go camping. But the truth is I'd love all the stuff you so artistically pointed out but not enough to outweigh the parts of camping I hate. Besides, I live in Florida. Nuff said.

    6:29 AM, August 03, 2006  
    Anonymous Li'l Pee Wee wrote in a love letter...

    Your description of our camp is as beautiful as you are. I'm enchanted by your lovely descriptions of our surroundings there.

    Lots of hugs,

    9:03 AM, August 03, 2006  
    Blogger Quipper wrote in a love letter...

    Simply awesome!

    5:46 AM, August 04, 2006  
    Blogger Marie N. wrote in a love letter...

    What a treat! Your words rich with imagery add more value to the photos. The way you artfully use the language and the photos are both beautiful. Sounds like you all had a wonderful escape.

    8:57 AM, August 04, 2006  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    Your pics made me think of this...

    I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
    Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
    Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
    With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine.


    - A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act II. Scene 1, William Shakespeare

    11:21 AM, August 04, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    Absolutely lovely. Both the words and the pictures.
    The dayview is stunning - you can almost see the air...
    Dantares.

    3:44 PM, August 04, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    hangonasec - your on holiday, Lisa's on holiday, DMG is just back from holiday - I'm missing something here!
    Dantares.

    3:46 PM, August 04, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    ME is on holiday, Popeye's away, Jonathon is er, away.

    Dantares: I think they all planned to meet up and didn't tell us! We weren't INVITED!

    [weeping into my beer]

    5:42 PM, August 04, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    HEY! Amusing had beer. Why dintcha invite her?
    O

    10:11 PM, August 04, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    Gorgeous. The one thing I remember most about Wyoming was the wild sage smell everywhere. Mmm.

    9:05 AM, August 05, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    I'm not coming unless Dantares is invited too. (He'd probably bring pretty damn good whisky/whiskey!)

    So there.

    5:02 PM, August 05, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    I had a dream last night that you were feeling slightly bothered by the fact that "no one" had finished reading your book yet...golly, I sure do have a broad definition for MYSELF, don't I??? hahaha--that was my guilt showing. I haven't read much of anything in weeks, maybe months. but I have been dying to finish yours...

    glad you had such a recharg-iferous weekend!

    10:05 PM, August 05, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Dammit!! Blogger seems to have eaten my huuuuuge comment! Let's see if I can remember it...

    JT: Welcome home!!! The weather will hold for quite a while.

    Irrelephant: Thank you so much. :-)

    Nixxie: It really is. You look amazed! :-)

    Bud: What the beautiful words don't mention is the rapidly-deflating air mattress. Not fun.

    PeeWee: We had so much fun with you guys, as always.

    Quipper: Thanks! And thanks for stopping by.

    Marie n.: Thank you very much. Stop by anytime.

    DMG: Midsummer Night's Dream. Always one of my favs.

    Dantares: The air is tissue-thin, and has the odd quality of making things appear closer than they really are. It really messed up explorers like Pike.

    Dantares again: And Ir's in Oregon. Group holiday? What group holiday? :-) I have an idea. How 'bout everyone come to RockyGrass for holiday next year!

    Amusing: If you brought beer, O would probably lick your face.

    O: I just did. :-) I keep inviting her, and she's not getting the hint.

    Laughing Frog: It fills the air, and there's nothing sweeter. Something you'll never forget.

    Amusing: O would probably lick Dantares face too. ;-)

    Lisa: Yeah, that was just me tapping you on the shoulder. ;-) It's ok; you've had a thing or two going on. And I think Schmoop's read it about three times now. And she's tapping me on the shoulder to finish the bugger!

    9:14 AM, August 06, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Face licking? I never let my dog lick my face; I'd have to think carefully about an 0-licking. Dantares will have to speak for himself on the licking issue.

    Now, I could use a good snog. So if you've got anyone who's interested in that....

    12:50 PM, August 07, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home