Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, August 01, 2006

    Books Unlimited


    A Book Bound in the Skin of Trees -- Marvin Hill

    Just back from RockyGrass and I've got a lot to say, and no time to say it. Whilst I get my words in order, here's a meme from Des Moines Girl.

    And, while we're talking about books, I'd like to announce a generous offer from O. He's decided to step in and judge the "I Remember it Well" contest (did I make it a contest?...oh, yeah I guess I did) and offer as first prize a

    $100 dollar gift certificate to Books Unlimited

    There's only one catch; you must come in person to claim it.


    Now, on to the meme.


    1. One book that changed your life:
    I don’t know if The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings changed my life so much as set its course. Little Expressionless Animals from David Foster Wallace’s short-story collection, Girl with Curious Hair, blew the top of my head off. It made me realize I could write anything I wanted.

    2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
    Just one? Ha! LOTR, The Awakening, 99% of Ray Bradbury’s work.

    3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
    A blank one, a pen and a big bottle of ink.

    4. One book that made you laugh:
    Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I laughed so hard I cried.

    5. One book that made you cry:
    There have been many…The Stand; I can’t believe he killed off Nick…Wizard and Glass; Mr. King knows how to make me weep I guess…Of Mice and Men; tragedy from the get-go.

    6. One book that you wish had been written:
    Um, mine, by me?

    7. One book that you wish had never been written:
    The DaVinci Code – never read it, never will, and I want it wiped off the face of the earth NOW!


    8. The book you are currently reading:
    A Self-Made Man, by Poppy Z. Brite. Autographed to me and everything! And, The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C.S. Lewis. Published posthumously, one of the stories makes a hilarious (and perfectly reasonable) justification for prostitution in space. Love it!

    9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
    There’s a storeful; Let’s see…James Joyce’s Ulysses, Moby Dick, The Phantom of the Opera…it goes on…

    5 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    I think Lisa should win the contest on account of that "We both just felt the air rushing in through the windows and glowed" line alone.

    R-Grass was fun, eh? Despite the scary bits. We have some truly wonderful pictures (based on the assumption that if you take millions of them, you'll get one or two really good ones).

    Tim O'Brien's set was a poem.

    12:46 PM, August 01, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    You and I agree on number 6. I love Bradbury. Since Nickolaus A. Pacione hates Poppy with a passion, her writing must be pretty good--maybe I should read some of it. Lastly, the funny thing is that the books you list as "meaning to read" are ones I've read, but I haven't read others you've listed.

    7:36 PM, August 01, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    As the now official judge on the contest, I proclaim that I haven't decided. I'll get to it soon, I promise.

    Rockygrass was indeed fun. I was ecstatic that Tim O'Brien did his cover of Dylan's Forever Young. And the great find of the festival, for me at least, was Crooked Still (for anyone interested, high sweet vocals backed by banjo, cello and double bass).

    As for the meme:

    1. One book that changed your life:
    At what point? Recently: Salt by Kurlansky; The Hobbit (a long time ago); Blue Belle by Vachss (less of a long time ago, but still quite a ways back), numerous others. It isn't fair to ask for just one.
    2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
    The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings. The Limerick by Gershon Legman (this bears multiple readings if you have leanings toward filthy humor).

    3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
    Some kind of electronic reader with thousands of books and documents in it, along with a steady supply of electricity and batteries. Failing that, probably the Bible - it's really thick and I have a passing familiarity with the mythology.

    4. One book that made you laugh:
    The Limerick by Gershon Legman. Lots of laughs. Most books by Shel Silverstein.

    5. One book that made you cry:
    I don't recall one. Music can do it to me tho.

    6. One book that you wish had been written:
    If I knew that, I'd've written it, but I'm not a writer, so decisions like that are best left to other folks.

    One book that you wish had never been written:
    Afraid I'll put the Da Vinci Code in here, too. My reason is this:
    I stand behind the counter in a used bookshop 8 hours a day, six days a week. For the past 4 years or so, I've witnessed this exact scenario, multiple times a week:
    Potential customer walks in. "Got the Da Vinci Code?"
    "No. Sorry. It's a hot seller right now."
    Formerly potential customer sniffs, shrugs, coughs or makes some other bodily gesture and occasionally utters something to the effect of "I guess I'll have to try a real bookstore." (this usually means a _new_ bookstore, ala B&N or Borders, which is really a bunch of prepackaged shit, perfect for the folks with protruding foreheads and an inability to find a book on an interesting subject without the help of the Oprah, ah, I mean the TV). Thankfully they leave before I have to deal with any more insipid questions. They _should_ be paying me for putting up with them, tho.

    8. The book you are currently reading:
    The Long Emergency by James Kunstler. His book The Geography of Nowehere is also an excellent choice for those of you who hate suburbia and its plastic trappings, but can't put your finger on exactly _why_.

    9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
    Only one again? I keep starting Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, The US Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842 by Nathaniel Philbrick. His book In the Heart of the Sea was outstanding, if you like stories about whaling, shipwrecks and lifeboat cannibalism. The former just isn't connecting with me right now.

    10:38 PM, August 01, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I've just been given a stackful of second-hand books for fixing a mates computer. The top one was Iris Murdoch. the second was Solzhenitsyn. A slow, wide grin is now plastered over my mug. The summer is cancelled.
    Dantares.

    2:53 AM, August 02, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Clowncar:"Tim O'Brien's set was a poem." Amen, brother.

    Laughing Frog: Oh yeah. Bradbury is my golden mean.
    You have a choice with Poppy; the early stuff is about gay vampires and gore, the later about gay chefs and gourmet. Me, I prefer the later work.

    O: Dude, get your own blog. ;-) Oh, wait; you did.
    Ready to announce the winner yet?

    Dantares: Woot! I know the feeling. Enjoy.

    9:05 PM, August 02, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home