Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, July 20, 2006

    Just Another Gardening Post





    I did my rounds in the garden today, snacking on peas from a couple of late-blooming volunteer plants. I love volunteers the best. They are the wise ones that have chosen their own place in my garden and have thrived there, finding their optimum elements. I have volunteer potatoes too; two rows I thought I’d killed last summer in an over-zealous attempt to get them to produce more tubers. So I make room, I make room. I always make room for the ones that want to be there.

    I pulled up two carrots for the boyos for breakfast. One carrot is fat at the top and bottom, thinner in the middle; a physical recording of water received, and its lack. It is something little I can hold in my hands that shows me bigger things.

    Watering the tomatoes is always my favorite time, when I find peace and stillness. Otherwise, I’m scurrying around, making sure everything has everything it needs. Sometimes I pace the house – a pointless exercise. I could water tomatoes all day and think of nothing else. And think of everything else.

    The only other time I’m still is when I’m writing, and then I’m not really still. I’m moving faster than you can see.

    While I water tomatoes, I watch the birds in the sky and they are always different. Today it’s swallows; their sharp-edged wings cutting the air in swift and precise circles. They are the heirs apparent to the sky, should the falcons ever abdicate.

    There is a tree on a hill in the next yard, and it is wilting. A tree, wilting. This is neither the driest place in the country, nor the hottest. There are some of you living with an embarrassment of rain right now, looking out windows and watching trees rot from it. Extremes don’t do anything any good.

    I think, as I look around at this sheltered place, this wet and dry temperate planet we live on in the midst of the dark and bright happenings going on in the rest of the universe, and I think, I think, that the most precious and rare element is balance.

    And I think this is all I’m trying to say.

    At least it feels like I’ve said something, which is not always the case.






    Cool rock, huh?

    11 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    James Dobson of Focus (Fuckup) on the Family says that your rock is an abomination unto the Lord. That makes it official- it's cool. Like a petrified turdlet from one of those hal-black half-white Star Trek characters...

    -Stucco

    2:02 PM, July 20, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Whoa! So Nancy Dancy is holding a little dried up chunk of Frank Gorshin's excrement?

    Strangely enough that both excites and disgusts me.

    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

    4:42 PM, July 20, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Mother nature has totally been knocked off balance, I think. Naturally, I have a song about that. Yup, very cool rock!

    5:15 AM, July 21, 2006  
    Anonymous igneous c. magma wrote in a love letter...

    Hey! That's my rock!

    11:24 AM, July 21, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    nd - like the words you use to describe the tomatos... reminds me how I used to be when I did massage - same calming peace. Or when I would ride Sally, slowly rolling in and out of the trees, wind in my hair... good times.

    For those of you with sex on the brain...(often like me).. Sally was my motercycle.

    Like the rock too!

    1:45 PM, July 21, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    "An Inconvenient Truth" explains these wild excesses of weather we've been having -- and the reason is not good.

    I adore swallows. There's a great house/mansion not too far from here that has an amazing Normandy-style barn. There's a token horse or two for picturesque effect, but the swallows have taken over the place! It's breathtaking.

    2:53 PM, July 21, 2006  
    Blogger Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    I think a lot of people are yearning for balance in their lives as well. When you achieve balance, only then can your soul be truly at peace.

    I love the rock too!

    2:56 PM, July 21, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Stucco and Ir: *shaking head* You guys. Stucco you are sick, and Ir you are deranged I tell you, deranged! ;-)

    Bud: I don't know. I think we've managed to speed up her biological clock. She's doing her thing a little sooner.

    Mr. Magma: Oh, yeah? Come and get it, buddy!

    JT: Have you met the highly deranged Irrelephant? You can talk bikes. He's got a beauty named Betty that I'm lusting after. *drool*

    Amusing: I know, I know. *shudder* Do you read Barry Lopez? He just had an article in The Sun about the salmon population explosion he's observed in the river that runs through his property. My first thought was, 'oh, so the predator population's been decimated.' Turns out I'm probably (sadly) right.
    Oh, man. Take a picture of the barn, wouldja? You are such a great photographer. I love swallows.

    Schmoop: Ayah-yup. And we're so out of balance, is it any wonder things are messed up?
    I think everybody needs to water tomatoes for a season. That'll teach you about balance. If the water isn't even, you get instant feedback in the form of cracked tomatoes.

    *putting soapbox away now*

    10:56 PM, July 22, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    Cool rock. I wonder how my tomatoes have survived all the torrential rain we've been getting, but so far, so good. Whether I will actually be able to harvest any of them is another matter. I may as well hang out a neon sign that say's Froggie's Chipmunk Diner.

    1:05 PM, July 23, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Freekin' chipmunks! And even though it's a gopher, I just got a scene from Caddyshack in my head.

    7:51 AM, July 24, 2006  
    Blogger jeje wrote in a love letter...

    michael kors outlet online
    nike roshe one
    links of london
    nike huarache
    basketball shoes
    adidas yeezy boost
    air jordan shoes
    yeezy boost
    cheap jordans
    true religion outlet

    9:08 PM, March 22, 2017  

    Post a Comment

    << Home