Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, July 12, 2006

    Cross-Pollination

    We used to host parties. Grand parties. Forty to fifty people from all walks of life. There were artists and writers, teachers, psychologists, mechanics, a heart surgeon, there was a guy on the bomb squad, a couple of world-travelers, an ex-nun, a shaman. Jews, Catholics, Christians, atheists, pagans. Capitalists and Commies. There were moms and dads and grandparents and children; infants to grade school.
    The conversations never stopped. That was the best part. Better than the food (which was damn fine), better than the alcohol (which was damn strong).
    I loved going from one group to another, leading new friends in and introducing them to someone they’d never encounter otherwise. The stories that would arise, the jokes, the questions all humming in the air.

    That was a while ago.

    So, in the spirit of those parties, I would like to get a little cross-pollination going on here. I know it’s happened to some extent already, and that many of you already know each other, but I want to have a little fun with this.
    I have quite a list of friends (and some lurkers I never knew I had), and it’s about time some of you met.

    *rubbing hands together gleefully* Now let’s see…

    Lisa, meet Julie, also back in school with the coolest (or hottest) area of study. Julie, meet Schmoopie, who wants desperately to live in your neck of the woods. Schmoopie, meet Orange; that should be fun.

    Bud, meet Popeye, who just posted an amazing song for the first time. You get over there, too, D-Man. And vice-versa, Popeye.

    And while we’re at it, D-Man meet Irrelephant, Grand Poohbah of Talkies Tuesday. Irrelephant, meet Des Moines Girl, who will appreciate your humor almost (but not quite) as much as I do. Head on over across the pond to Dantares as well.

    Lisa, go cheer up JT, all on his lonesome in Baghdad, and JT go commiserate with Lazy Lazy Me, who’s fed up with a few things as well.

    Dantares, you must meet Nixxie up in Sweden, and Nixxie, I don’t think you’ve met Des Moines Girl. DMG, go say hi to Tootsie Roll.

    Laughing Frog, meet Amusing, and Amusing, I think you’d enjoy Popeye. So would you, Esereth.

    And everyone, go say hi to Esereth, a brilliant writer, and preggers to boot. Give her your best wishes.

    There. I think that’s everyone. Let me know if your drink runs low, and I’ll be by to eavesdrop shortly.

    18 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I need to meet O. Whatever happened to that cat? :P

    -Stucco

    10:08 AM, July 12, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    Great party - can only think O is on the bar...would like a the house drink...he knows the kind.

    Add a bit of whiskey (single malt please at least 15 yrs old - to wash away the dust..) Of course, with some of those, will want to run naked through the house... might just have to do that when I get back... hmmmmmm

    12:59 PM, July 12, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    G&T, double. Ice, lemon, and a slash of lime juice. My word Nancy, all I can do is take notes on how to organize a group of hitherto strangers...top marks to you, my friend. The room must be packed. Manderley had best not burn tonight!
    Dantares

    4:07 PM, July 12, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Stucco: Here's your mojito. O went all peculiar. Too much book dust. Where did he go...?

    JT: Ah! You were right, JT. There's O at the bar, pulling a pint. It's got your name on it, along with a shot of Ardbeg Single Malt. Afraid it's only 10 yrs old -- will it do, sir?
    As for the naked dash, give us a warning will you?

    Dantares: Excellent drink choice. A pinch of sugar smoothes it all out.
    And Manderley? *snort* You have no idea just how twisted and funny and appropriate that is, old chap.

    4:40 PM, July 12, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    O is an asshole. You don't want to meet him. He works all the time. And is out looking for a building, for get this, a USED BOOKSHOP. He oughta have another Guinness.

    10:24 PM, July 12, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    A building for a used bookshop, eh? Books. You know they're on the way out, right? Books are so 'last century.' People don't read books anymore, it has to come piped in an iPod or over a monitor. You might as well try and open a pipe and tobacco store. *snort*

    5:41 AM, July 13, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    All things return in time- perhaps even literacy and the printed word. Have I told you about my idea for steam-powered sex machines? There is no sport in marketing things that are addictive and bad for you- far too easy. Maybe you should have the logo of the bookstore be a bicycle with square wheels?

    Power to the peep-holes! And where is O, anyhow? I'll make a trail of Guiness that leads to my place and hope for the best...

    -Stucco / SOF

    9:09 AM, July 13, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, that was such fun!

    And it sounds as though your parties would have been amazing. You should try throwing one again...it would be good for you.

    9:56 AM, July 13, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    You can't be an asshole, O. Being an asshole would require having an ass in the first place, which you don't, having worked it off. Here's your Guinness. :-)

    Ir: Crazy, crazy. A tobacco shop! What were YOU thinking? People don't smoke anymore! Hey, have you got a light? My cigar went out.

    Stucco: Numerous times, over poker. But I am NOT volunteering to be a guinea pig. (At least not until you've got that release valve thingy worked out.)

    Lisa: Thanks! I'm having a blast with this. Please, mingle, mingle.
    The old parties were truly great. Maybe once we get a deck built. Good for me? Yeah...maybe now again. :-)

    12:07 PM, July 13, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    What a fantastic idea you have here. I connected with Popeye and await an answer. I always said that if I put everybody I know in the same room, there would be a war. Maybe I underestimate the ability of people to make peace.

    4:31 AM, July 14, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    That was a very cool idea. . .

    3:43 PM, July 14, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Oops. Hope I didn't spill my drink on you. I'm crossing the room to go talk to Popeye and it's awfully crowded in here, isn't it? But fab folk. I'm having a blast.

    Let me know when the in-person party is and I'll fly in. Was in publishing in Olden Tymes so will bring all my old publicist copies for the Used Bookshop. Do you want one of only TWO Norman Mailer galleys that exist (because I was told to destroy them all because he made changes; and I destroyed all but two...)

    Yoo-hoo! Dantares, while you are at the bar, get me one of what you're having! There, is that Popeye over there.....[staggers away -- she never could hold her liquor]

    4:58 PM, July 14, 2006  
    Anonymous D-Man wrote in a love letter...

    I like it. I'll pop back tonight and follow the linky links.

    5:03 PM, July 14, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    Well, O eventually wandered home, to find ND, Schmoopie and Stucco. Stucco almost finished off the available whiskey (claims that he can't take the very last of another man's whiskey, but I think he would've if he didn't like me) while the Guinness disappeared down my gullet.
    Norman Mailer galleys, huh? I hope that you saved a the letter or memo directing you to destroy the galleys - that would greatly enhance the collectibility. Speaking of, I found a leather bound Franklin edition of Naked and the Dead signed by Mailer just this week.
    O
    And speaking of drinking, the word verification is ibevuggq. Sounds like something I'd say after a few too many...

    7:58 AM, July 15, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Popeye: Thanks! At the moment, it's the closest I can get to throwing an actual one.

    Amusing: O is still talking about the galleys -- very impressive.
    I would love to have an in-person party. I wonder if I could charter a jet to travel around the country (wow, and the world) to pick everyone up?

    D-Man: Thanks! And thanks for bringing the home-brewed beer. Big hit, man!

    O: Which is what I think I heard you say last night... ;-)

    2:57 PM, July 15, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    'Cept I didn't have an too many, I kept well within sight of sobriety.
    O

    5:22 PM, July 15, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Sorry. It was a verbal order.
    Want to know what he has in his coat pockets (cuz I looked) -- lint.
    But they did send me out for liquor and then proceeded to get drunk -- I mean -- have their meeting. I think that was when he was working on Ancient Pyramids. (The galleys were for Pieces and Pontifications -- a lesser work.)

    8:00 PM, July 15, 2006  
    Anonymous O wrote in a love letter...

    Too bad. Some kind of written order would really help, but that's the way it goes. Yeah, I understand that Mailer is fond of liquor. Pieces, being nonfiction is often a book collectors really aren't "after". Still, a cool story.
    O
    PS - I meant to say "any too many" in my last response. Figures I'd make a typo while defending my sobriety. And I was at work. And sober.

    9:07 AM, July 16, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home