Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, June 04, 2006

    Let’s Do the Time Warp

    Hello hello my dears. I miss you one and all. I’m currently typing away in the dark, as quietly as I can, for fear of waking up los boyos, and attracting the attention of my mother. Yes, I’m in Stepford Village, Illinois, parental home, though not the ancestral home. That’s long gone, and very much missed.
    I want a laptop.
    No, what I want is a Gibsonesque meatjack in the back of my head to silently record and transmit all my running commentary. Anything, anything but THIS computer, out in the open loft/bedroom/hallway/office/Grand Central Station.
    New houses, man. WTF?
    See? I can’t even say ‘fuck’ on this computer!
    So I’m home. Ok, that’s not the right word for it. Not the right word at all.

    See, I get along with my mom. Always have. We never went through that, ‘I fucking hate you!’ teenage bullshit. I just hid out in my room for those seven years, crying and listening to progressive rock and new wave, phone attached to my ear, emerging only for school, track, concerts, dancing and general angsting over why my obviously gay boyfriend refused to rid me of my burdensome virginity.
    Good times.
    And I always got along with my dad, who is ever so much cooler than me. Or you. And still is. (I’ve swiped his new ipod and am listening to Dani California, at his insistence). Yeah. Electra comes to me for advice.
    So, the problem is, I’m frickin’ sixteen years old again when I’m here, minus that bothersome virginity thing, plus two toddlers.
    Time warp.

    And I just deleted half of this post. I'll dole out a bit more of it later, but for now, this is good.

    Love to you all. Leave me comments. I'm lonely!!!! I'm gonna go listen to my prog rock now...

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Yeah, what you're going through is common. An important part of nature meant to teach us how to be even cooler parents. Been there and keep doing it. The going home part, not the cooler part.

    5:06 AM, June 05, 2006  
    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    Why Nancy Dancy--a Rocky Horror Picture Show reference AND a mention of William Gibson? Good heavens, I think I'm going to swoon!

    Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? Or perhaps you're my clone...do you have any peculiar, unexplained scars on discreet parts of your body? Do black helicopters fly over your house at night a lot? Do you have a full and luxurious goatee?

    5:57 AM, June 05, 2006  
    Anonymous clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    Don't forget the nod to Socrates.

    My teen-age bedroom was filled with Yes posters and the obligatory Farrah Fawcett picture enshrined above the bed, which I stared at while listening to Brain Salad Surgery over and over and over again. Makes me glad I'm in my 40s. Yikes!

    11:28 AM, June 05, 2006  
    Anonymous schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    Your Dad sounds cool. My "Hippie Dad's" idea of a good time is to get arrested at a war protest. Yes, he is stuck in the 60's and doesn't realize that you don't need to get arrested to have a good time!
    Gay boyfriends are the best! They compliment your hair and get along a little too well with your mother. :)
    We miss you.

    8:32 PM, June 05, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    Bwahaha! I enjoyed reading that so much. I've loved my dad since day one, but mom was more problematic when I was growing up. But the older she gets, the funnier she gets, and the less harmful to my psyche.

    Take care! You will survive. I know . . . it sounds like a really bad Amie Stewart disco song. Please forgive me for that one.

    9:50 PM, June 05, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    LF: Now I've got that song stuck in my head! ;-) Thanks for stopping by.

    Schmoop: I've got to meet your dad sometime. Hey, when you're home visiting, I'll send you survival emails. :-)

    Mr. Clowncar: Everyday a little sadder, a little madder, someone get me a LADDER! (Straight up to Farrah, right? ;-) (Oh lord, did I just say that?))

    Ir: Hee...I used to watch the black helicopters from my apartment balcony as they flew into the mountains. I'm sure my goatee isn't as full and luxurious as yours, though. Why'd YOU get all the good genes?

    Bud: You're the second coolest person I know. Can I have your autograph? I keep meaning to email you about getting a hold of one of your discs...

    3:50 PM, June 06, 2006  
    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    Keep your chin up! We miss you too!

    7:25 PM, June 06, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Ah, you're sweet, Julie!

    7:16 AM, June 07, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home