Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, May 25, 2006

    Vanity Wins...

    Marvin Hill - Protector

    ...the post contest today. Yes, vanity sang her little heart out inside my head, drowning out the serious contenders.
    Righteous indignation tried with that same old down-tempo chorus, and failed to win a spot, though she is in contract negotiation with a major label.
    Mommy stories be-bopped her best, but no, we'’ve heard that one before, and from better singers.

    So. Vanity it is. Here we go.

    I'’m posting from a new body, one that has dropped another five pounds. That brings the total to twenty-five pounds lost. The size fours are starting to get baggy, like the sixes had been a couple of months ago.
    I'’ve got nothing that fits. Well, ok the shorts I just bought fit.
    Shorts. Yeah. They fall to mid-calf on me. My new capris.
    But I'’m not down to my college clothes yet. Probably won'’t be ever again. But one needs goals.

    Jeebus, this is not at all what I want to write.
    What DO I want to write?
    I want to write about weeds.


    Dandelions

    Flowers the color of the sun, with a sweet, delicate perfume. They are one of the first to appear in spring, and one of the last to disappear in the fall. Useful plants; their leaves can be eaten or --– wonder of wonders -- dandelions can be turned into wine!
    Hardy plants, dandelions can grow almost anywhere, under all kinds of conditions.
    They thrived in the New World, and today they are reviled for thriving, for standing out in a field of uniform green, and attacked with every imaginable poison. Entire industries are built around the dandelion'’s destruction.
    Dandelion plants are the only green things in my lawn right now.


    Rabbits

    A bumper crop this year. They scamper across the road at twilight. Sometimes they make it. In our yard, we'’ve rescued two young ones. Rescue is not the correct term for the first. We postponed its demise.
    I have an agreement with the rabbits. They stay out of my garden, I let their young live. My romaine is untouched. They feast on dandelions instead.


    Stray Cats

    They roam every neighborhood, tormenting dogs, digging up plants, catching birds. Every cat we'’ve had'’s been a stray. The first was Poe, a black Siamese. The Cat. He kept us awake at night with his voice. I fed him out of a China bowl, and he wouldn'’t eat unless I brushed his sleek fur and talked to him.
    I broke his heart and he died.
    The current stray is a Maine Coon mix. She's big and lovely, friendly. A born hunter, she catches rabbits when we aren'’t looking. I can'’t make an agreement with this cat.

    We save the ones we can. That'’s the best we can do.

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    Ooooh, precious baby bunny!

    And "the size fours are getting baggy"? Well, there goes MY big plans for being friends with you. Sorry, you're out. I actually look my best at about an 8, and would not even want to go lower than that, but still. It's the principle of the matter!!!! Siiigh. I never thought I'd have to worry about weight, let alone be one of those (perhaps pseudo) skinny girl haters. Oh well. :) I'll probably get over it.

    And I can't stop wanting to snuggle that bunny into my face!!

    (p.s. sorry for the outburst...I may need more mental help than I'd ever suspected.)

    6:32 PM, May 25, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    7:15 PM, May 25, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    And think on it we will!!!

    Especially with...well you can picture the rest.

    Agree with Lisa about the bunny though - used to raise them. Still working on losing weight myself... between Saddam's revenge and exercise, I shouldn't have any problems.

    12:46 AM, May 26, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Weight loss is a good goal. I'm down with that. Dandelion roots are loaded with iron. Make a tincture by soaking them in vodka. Don't take the ones that grow by the road where the chemicals hae poisoned them. So if you're anemic, this works well. A few drops of that tincture a day, I guess. Yeah, you have to make deals with the wildlife. They were there first but they have to learn the rules. Good luck with that. My wife was threatened today by a father sandhill crane who was claiming the doorstep as new territory. Okay, the back door works fine too.

    8:57 AM, May 26, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Lisa: Dammit! I lose more friends that way!
    Listen up Lisa-darling-sweetheart-LIVE-of-my-life, I'm an 8 in dog sizes, if not more. I'm a foot shorter than you which puts me at eye-level with your, um, girls.

    JT: You watch yourself, mister! Keep hydrated, and no more street-vendor kabobs! Or Smurfs! ;-)

    Bud: You'll have to teach me some of your meditation skills one of these days. Wow. Threatened by a sandhill crane. I wouldn't want to tangle with one of those either. We only have to worry about coyotes around here.

    5:36 PM, May 26, 2006  
    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    25 pounds!!!! What is your secret! I've been so good about working out...but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to give up my love of sugar to see any really changes...

    12:00 AM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    My secrets:
    1) I went off Ortho-Evra (Stroke danger as well)

    2) No hydrogenated oils

    3) No corn syrup

    4) As much organic food as possible, especially chicken. No hormones.

    Keep your sugar, just switch to the unprocessed stuff. You'll see a difference!

    12:43 AM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Hua Cai wrote in a love letter...

    louis vuitton outlet
    michael kors outlet
    swarovski crystal
    swarovski outlet
    cheap canada goose jackets
    nike blazer pas cher
    coach outlet clearance
    longchamp bags
    michael kors outlet
    mont blanc pens
    mulberry outlet,mulberry handbags outlet
    michael kors outlet clearance
    true religion jeans
    true religion jeans
    ugg boots
    true religion jeans
    supra shoes
    coach outlet
    ralph lauren uk
    michael kors outlet
    louis vuitton outlet
    jordan pas cher
    ferragamo shoes
    canada goose outlet
    gucci outlet
    michael kors outlet
    true religion jeans
    christian louboutin shoes
    ugg boots sale
    links of london jewellery
    coach outlet
    prada sunglasses for women
    ugg boots
    canada goose jackets
    ugg outlet
    20160907caihuali

    7:45 PM, September 06, 2016  

    Post a Comment

    << Home