Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, May 31, 2006

    Status Report

    Wow. That last post was fun. I didn't expect such a turnout. Lesson learned? I need to keep working on my dialogue. And men are more romantic than I ever thought, and women more cynical.
    Or I'm just blog-friends with a bunch of liars.
    Naaahhhh....I love you all. I believe every word that comes out of your keyboards.
    So.
    O's dad is recovering, slowly but surely. He had an aneurysm in the abdominal aorta. A triple-A. I don't remember if I mentioned his malady or not. It is painful to see him. Such a fascinating man, with all his stories of New York City in the Fifties. He's met EVERYBODY, including Eleanor Roosevelt for heaven's sake. He's unable to speak right now, and with the drugs he doesn't understand why, or that it is a temporary condition.
    There isn't enough I can say about O right now. He's an amazing guy. I wouldn't be able to handle this situation if I were him.
    The boyos actually went to bed early the other night, so we talked uninterrupted for two hours, something we haven't been able to do for a long time. We talked about all the important stuff, like which authors from today would be studied and remembered in one hundred years. I argued that Stephen King would be among them, some of his short stories at least and he disagreed. O said that King is too timely, and I argued that the core of his short fiction is still about the human condition, and that never changes.
    "Wanna make a bet?" he said, reaching out his hand.
    "Sure," I answered, taking it. "But you're going to lose. In our next lives, you'll be on a college campus, and some crazy chick is going to run up to you with a lit textbook open to one of King's stories, shouting, 'I told you so!' 'I told you so!'
    "I don't care if I win or lose. If I get to see you again in a hundred years in another life, I win no matter what."
    That's real dialogue.

    ***

    Wish me luck. I'm flying with the boyos back to Illinois, alone, on Thursday. Any distractions or entertainment (or drugging) suggestions anyone has for two three-and-a-half-year-old boyos on the plane are greatly appreciated.
    We'll be there for two weeks. I'm dreading the plane ride, and seeing my grandmonster. But the rest will be filled with good food, plays, concerts, the symphony, a trip to Chicago, and friends as well as the family members I do love. I'll keep posting from Illinois, but it will be strange.
    See, my parents don't know about us, about this little blog-thing we have going. I feel like a little girl who's hiding her diary. A diary that fifty or so people read, but a private diary nonetheless...

    12 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    see, in your real dialogue, the guy is very romantic and loving as well.

    Going back "home" can be hard. I'm going to go to Michigan for a long weekend this summer...life is so different there..

    Enjoy the fun parts...theatre, food, friends, family...and the unfun parts? I'm sure you can find a great spot from those in a story.

    9:00 AM, May 31, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    Groan. He said that first? Buggrit. He got the copyright.
    ah well, I'll have to think of other ways to melt peoples hearts.
    Dantares.

    12:21 PM, May 31, 2006  
    Blogger Nixxie wrote in a love letter...

    Good luck with that!
    *giggle*

    *says she without little monsters*

    12:38 AM, June 01, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    That was perfect dialogue!
    I love Chicago! I can't imagine traveling with 3 year old twins on a plane. But it'll be worth it. Unless you are foolish enough to mention your blog to your family. That is just not advised.

    5:55 AM, June 01, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    E-mail me when you're coming to Chicago, if you can! I'll give you my phone number and maybe we can figure out a time to meet!

    8:47 PM, June 01, 2006  
    Blogger Giovanna wrote in a love letter...

    *thud*
    Oh Nancy he is a keeper. How sweet the two of you are. May you always stay that way.

    I took little ones on a plane once to Florida. I brought coloring/activity books, and lots of snacks.They have lots of portable magnetic games now, and kids Mad-libs, and those books with invisible ink pens you can reveal the answers to stuff... do you have like a specialty toy store nearby? They tend to have that stuff.

    9:42 PM, June 01, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    Have a great trip. If I can make it for nearly four hours with a cat locked in a carrier, you should be okay, as long as you can keep them from kicking the person in front of them or pulling their hair.

    10:44 PM, June 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I'm happy to say the boyos were good as gold on the plane!

    Julie -- I hear you!

    Dantares: I'm sure you have several of your own.

    Nix: Good as GOLD!

    Bud: They have NO idea. My mom is downstairs right now reading tothe boyos while I type as fast as I can.

    Popeye: I don't have your email. Email me at nancy_dancehall@yahoo.com. :-)

    G: He IS a keeper. I ended up keeping the boyos occupied ith coloring ooks and new leap pads. Worked like a charm.

    LF: Its a good thing cats don't have opposable thumbs. :-)

    3:34 PM, June 02, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Of course she neglected to mention that I generally am not romantic. That I had a moe rolled cigarette in one hand and a freshly opened (and half gone) beer in the other and I haven't had a haircut since we got married and - Hey! Ow! Stop hitting me!
    Oops, well there, I went and ruined the moment again.
    O

    10:23 PM, June 02, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Ahem. Just WHO is hitting you, whilst I'm 1000 miles away?
    Is it The Fear again, my dear? ;-)

    10:43 AM, June 03, 2006  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    I'd like to hear why it's a Grandmonster.

    You're Stephen King dialouge should definately be in a book. It made me smile and I'm a very smarmy cranky girl.

    3:24 PM, June 03, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Es,that is a story for another day, in another place. I _will_ tell you at some point. I'm not that bad a tease.

    11:29 PM, June 04, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home