Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, May 26, 2006

    In Your Opinion



    Marvin Hill - Twister

    The flower-fragrant breezes from the park today are stirring up tornadoes out east on the lone prarie.




    So I'm playing with dialogue. What do you think? Is this realistic:

    “What? What are you looking at?” she asked.
    “You. Waking up next to you. Watching you make coffee. I want to do this every morning. For the rest of my life.”
    He walked up behind her, then wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair.
    “Mmmm you smell so good.”
    She closed her eyes, took her hands off the grinder and placed them on his biceps. They stood like that for long minutes, not saying anything, swaying slightly. She felt him breathe into her hair.
    “I love that you’re wearing one of my shirts,” he whispered.
    “It’s my favorite one on you.”
    “Keep it. No, wait, don’t keep it. I want it back because you’ve been wearing it.”
    She laughed.


    Would a guy say that?

    16 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Irrelephant wrote in a love letter...

    I'll put it this way--to ME, it flows beautifully. It's exactly what I would say in that situitation, and it sounds natural to me.

    The thing being, I'm not natural. Everyone tells me I'm not really a guy, that I'm some sort of strange mutant male, who is in touch with his feminine side too much, and still can be an annoyingly thick man but still do things like that.

    Sense? None. *s*

    7:23 PM, May 26, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    Sounds like a smitten guy to me!

    7:41 PM, May 26, 2006  
    Anonymous Schmoopie wrote in a love letter...

    My first instinct was to say "No, a guy wouldn't say that." You have to remember that the males in my life have a "capital Y chromosome." So my opinion may be skewed. The rest of the dialogue is beautiful and conjures a wonderful image.

    8:10 PM, May 26, 2006  
    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    Link is so very romantic and verbal and emotional...our gender roles are a little reversed though...

    11:56 PM, May 26, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    I think I have to agree with "s", as I would have said something similar, just added a comment about not wearing anything at all. Additionally, what are his hands doing again? If they are wrapped in a hug, that is one thing, but there are several non-sexual places to place his hands that will still arrouse a woman and give her that same sense of peace and security. Just a thought.

    1:07 AM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Wow, four to one! You guys are so romantic! *sigh*

    Schmoopie, you're telling me Stucco doesn't speak this way? Shocking! ;-) (P.S. Monday was fun!)

    WV: edmadam

    1:34 PM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    OK, this really feels like a bit of a personality test. Maybe a guy (some hypothetical, random guy) would say it but he'd say it slower and more deliberatly. Maybe he'd only answer "You" at first and then she'd pause and smile, and then he's say the other stuff. Make her turn back around witha sile on her face. Then he comes from behind her and wraps his arms around her. I like that middle part because its slower. Whenever I have this kind of conversation, the pace is slow and delicious. Partially because it takes me a little longer to say this kind of stuff but, when I do, it comes out slowly and then I explain it with other things I really like about her.

    I miss saying things like this.

    3:50 PM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    'OK, this really feels like a bit of a personality test.'

    Only if you're a guy. ;-)
    No, really, I didn't mean it to be a personality test. I was just doodling, and thought I'd throw it out there.

    The last part, yeah, I hear you. She'll show up, Popeye.

    4:35 PM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, yeah, I'd say that. I have said that. I've said a bit more than that. I think it was something about wanting to BE a particular article of her clothing. Damn, did I just say that?

    7:24 PM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Me wrote in a love letter...

    "Hi" back.
    Read your profile after you posted on my blog. Not many people even know who Rikki Ducornet is, let alone list her as a favourite. I like you. :)
    As for your dialogue...
    I think I tend towards the point of view of Popeye (if I can be so presumptuous)
    The voice would catch. The words would tumble after being wrenched out from that place in their vulnerable little hearts. A guy would say it or many would like to.

    Being the jaded soul that I am I'd have to laugh at him and tell him to leave. Oh wait, I did that.

    8:26 PM, May 27, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Bud: heh heh heh heh.....O does a great impression of a bra...

    Me: Ouch! ;-) Rikki is a great person. She's one of our regulars at the store, and a friend. I'm so glad to run into someone who is familiar with her.

    1:23 PM, May 28, 2006  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    I don't know. Oh well, you want a whole bunch of opinions don't you.

    Well....If a guy said that to me, I'd be pleased but I think I might be inclined to say, "You sound like a character in a book!"

    Is that good?

    Nancy=cool

    1:42 PM, May 28, 2006  
    Blogger Giovanna wrote in a love letter...

    I liked it Nancy. I know there are men like that who'd say it. I did like the comment about maybe he'd say "you" first, then after a pause expand.

    I'm glad to see you still writing. I am plodding away myself.

    6:25 AM, May 30, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Esereth=cooler

    Giovanna: Hey! Apparently, I know guys who say stuff like that too, I just didn't realize. Glad to hear you are still writing too.

    11:34 AM, May 30, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    You know -- my first inclination was to say no guy would say this in a million years. Then I read the comments and thought -- wow, guess they would after all (just not to me!) Or maybe if they did I just wouldn't trust it (see recent bullshit love letters I posted!)

    It comes down to a truth that has dawned on me -- some might and some never would. Some are daring enough to put it out there and trust in it, others would be too damn terrified to eek the tiniest bit of that.

    Ah. love. crazy love. who knows.

    8:34 PM, May 30, 2006  
    Blogger Spc. Freeman wrote in a love letter...

    Potentially. I dunno if he'd use so many words though.

    6:57 AM, June 08, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home