Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Saturday, April 01, 2006

    Stormy Weather

    It’s one of those days
    when the basement has the gall to smell like a basement,
    the clothes will not dry themselves,
    the boyos will not let me be still.
    But I’m listening to a song,
    The Dream
    by Jeffery Edge and Malcolm Watson –
    the guitar sounds like a summer’s late afternoon
    and the high violin spins down from heaven;
    falling like ribbons from a woman’s hair
    onto the bedroom floor.
    Go listen to it.
    Buy the CD just for this song (though the entire album is magnificent).
    I saw them perform once. Watson was a barefooted Einstein in a white tuxedo dancing with his violin. Quite a sight.
    And without speaking a word, I flirted with Edge. Of course I did.
    That was a long time ago.

    So…
    It’s cloudy here today. There is a rickety promise of thunderstorms.
    If only.
    To the north the clouds are the color of an old bruise.
    I want to punch them until they groan thunder and bleed lightning.
    I’ll pick a fight with the sky to win a storm.
    (Bah! The sun is peeking out. What do I have to do; beat it too?)

    I want/need some time alone to write. Poor O. It only takes him a minute or two to smoke a cigarette, and he’s fine. It takes me several hours’ writing to achieve the same bliss and balance, to calm the shakes. I can handle two minutes with the boyos while he ducks out into the garage. He’s got to play lion tamer out of the house for a biggish chunk of the day, so his junkie wife can get her writing fix.
    Me and my vices.

    I’ve been writing this for approximately ten minutes.
    I’ve been interrupted eight times.


    Jonathon S.B. Tiercel will be deployed to Iraq in a few days. Our families only just met. God protect him and bring him home safely to his family.

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I've been stuck for the last twenty minutes on Gary Moore's Wishing Well - Who would think something which starts with a crash of scuffed lyrics and a heavy drum beat would actually have an interlude in the middle of "I know what you wish for/Love and a peaceful world." Apt, after reading the link to JSB Tiercel's deployment.
    And I want a thunderstorm now.
    Dantares.

    7:41 PM, April 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I'll have to listen to it. I'm always looking for new music. Heavy drums are good.

    And that song sounds apt, yes.

    Sorry to stir up a craving. I'm still waiting for my thunderstorm too.

    8:18 PM, April 01, 2006  
    Anonymous mr clowncar wrote in a love letter...

    "It’s cloudy here today. There is a rickety promise of thunderstorms.
    If only.
    To the north the clouds are the color of an old bruise.
    I want to punch them until they groan thunder and bleed lightning.
    I’ll pick a fight with the sky to win a storm."

    Nice.

    11:46 PM, April 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks!

    11:50 PM, April 01, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Your writing process, as painful as it may seem to you, pays off. This is some beautiful writing. I wouldn't worry about what you have to do to get it started. That's not important. The output is important and you've succeeded. Thanks for sharing. I LOVE the punching the bruised sky thing. Outstanding.

    6:00 AM, April 02, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    Yes, I would be quite happy if that happened when I sneezed as well!
    Dantares.

    9:58 PM, April 02, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Bud: Thanks! And thank you for the nice long email.

    Dantares: Gesundheit wouldn't do, would it? ;-)

    10:31 PM, April 02, 2006  
    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    Okay, now's the part where you tell me it's totally worth it, having kids. Quick, tell me quick.

    I'm ovulating RIGHT now, and Rock knows it and is grinning from the bedroom door.

    QUICK!

    11:11 PM, April 03, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Yes, Esereth, it is worth it.
    (The Mommy Hormones that pump through your system like China White while you're pregnant help with the transition.)
    Go! Make babies! Run girl run!

    8:59 AM, April 04, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website.
    I really hope to check out the same high-grade content by you in the future
    as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get
    my own site now ;)

    my web blog - setting up cccam server

    1:32 PM, May 17, 2013  

    Post a Comment

    << Home